Notch reacts to a Neowin article: 'Don't be a goat rapist'

Perhaps people should be equally accepting of a government placing cameras in your house for your own protection?

That's a stupid strawman argument you're making. Microsoft having control of an app store is in no way comparable to allowing an organization / government to spy on you.

Surely you're aware of Markus Persson's notability in today's gaming industry. His opinion carries more weight than the lead developer of Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon. It may have started off with a couple of tweets about certifying Minecraft for Windows 8 but it has grown into something bigger. And this isn't the first time he expressed his seemingly negative views about Windows 8.

So... is that a confirmation of the W8DB being on DEFCON1? :shiftyninja:

So... is that a confirmation of the W8DB being on DEFCON1? :shiftyninja:

I've always wanted to use this.

15mk51w.jpg

• Like 2

I've always wanted to use this.

15mk51w.jpg

Achievement unlocked: Used Zoidberg meme.

Yup, we need achievement unlocked badges!

Glassed Silver:mac

I have mixed feelings on this really. I mean, I can see where Notch is coming from in one aspect of it, but the way he goes about his arguments makes my head hit the desk.

As others have noted, his ego seems to be getting the better of him. You'd think he was talking about fighting poverty or something, but it's just over Windows 8 being "open"... The issues he's concerned with are, while indeed a concern for the future, just not presently much of a threat. I'll vote with my wallet if I think Microsoft is headed in the wrong direction anyway, and maybe a stance against Microsoft would then actually make more sense.

Currently, I think he's just blowing a lot of this crap out of proportion. It's almost like he's the Terminator sent back in time to stop the war of the future or something. As bad ass as that sounds, it's actually a rather silly notion considering what kind of war we're talking about here. :p

that Company and Game everybody saying is his

is an almost direct RIP from an open source game called Infini miner. its just a Mod, and yes i played it. its boring as crap after playing longer then a month

[...]And jesus why do people honestly care about this? He owns a company and somehow he's being called an idiot because he's choosing what to do with his company?[...]

You're assuming the two need to be mutually exclusive. Plenty of idiots run companies and plenty of companies do stupid things (Netflix comes to mind).

You're allowed to call someone on a stupid move and this is a stupid move. He's deliberately keeping his game from getting extra sales to make a point that not only doesn't apply to him, it's also pretty much invalid.

Nope, it will still run software, but once they've conned everyone into releasing their software to the app store the traditional desktop won't be necessary ;)

so i'm now free to install everything, but when microsoft bullied ALL devs into releasing stuff to Store they will take away my freedom and i can... install just everything; wow, i AM starting to freak out

as for everyone's interest no fan asked Notch to do the certification, no fan asked to present the app as a Modern UI app, no fan asked him to get the desktop app in the Store, this guy just bashes out to something he gets a "bad feeling" of, or at least he says - for now i'm gonna stick to the theory that this guy's opinion and voice has been bought and his ranting just represents other company interests

Dear Markus,

I never said once I raped goats. I have quite a few goats around the house that I would never rape, I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole. Gunther brings me headaches and great rollicking fun playing catch, Arshag was sold to me by an Armenian goat farmer, and my goat Elsa from Sweden produces me fresh goat milk 98% of the time.

But my favorite goat is one that's named Martha, who I think of as a person, and she's amazing, and lets me have her way with her. I can do whatever I want with her and she doesn't mind, she is open to anything. I care a lot about Martha, I want her to stay open to anything, and will not appreciate anyone who takes her away from me.

For every goat you give me that's not Martha, that's one more goat who will not let me have my way with her. This is great for people who want to sell me goats (possibly earning them money, and that's good for them), but it brings me no closer to happiness.

This is my complaint.

Now, on to personal things.

You've never once established that Microsoft is trying to close the Desktop platform, or that we'll ever come to a future where Adobe will shell out 30% of their profit to Microsoft for sales of Photoshop, or where small businesses will not be able to install custom apps to manage their databases or day-to-day business. Thank you for not trying to argue such a foolish thing, it shows good judgment on your part!

Thanks for the personal attack,

Pierre Labourdes,

Neowin.net resident goat farmer

• Like 1

- and which has prevented any competing browser engine from running on Windows RT -

And why should they,its Windows RT. Its for tablets and browsers are inherrently unsecure and need to be constantly updated. MS provides one browser engine that they update as needed, and they won't get blamed for all the Firefox security holes.

Also it's pretty standard for mobile OS' anyway, but I guess MS isn't allowed to control and secure their product. Go complain about apple not allowing browsers on iOS first.

Also it's pretty standard for mobile OS' anyway, but I guess MS isn't allowed to control and secure their product. Go complain about apple not allowing browsers on iOS first.

Isn't Chrome, Dolphin and Opera (probably others) available for iOS? I don't own the devices but could have swore they were, thought I saw references to them when I was downloading browsers for one of my non-Apple devices a while back.

For every user Microsoft convinces to use the Modern UI, they have one more user they get to choose what programs they can see. They get to certify programs and control the experience. This is great for them (and possibly arguable makes for a smoother end user experience as well, but that?s debatable if it?s good), but it places faaaaar too much power in the hands of a single entity.

talk about talking out his ass. The metro/modern side of things is COMPLETELY optional to use. and all that certification does is let the end user know "this program is guaranteed safe and will not harm your computer".

seriously, Notch is letting his personal feeling get in the way of a business matter that can only help minecraft

Windows 8 is not any more closed than 7, and there is no debating that, because you can not debate something that is fact

there are plenty of browsers on iOS. the only limiter is that they can't use the special faster javascript engine that Safari uses, but even that is easily worked around with a jailbreak tweak

Isn't Chrome, Dolphin and Opera (probably others) available for iOS? I don't own the devices but could have swore they were, thought I saw references to them when I was downloading browsers for one of my non-Apple devices a while back.

They all use the Safari renderer. They're basically Maxthon for safari. Opera is slightly different since while it does use the safari engine, the sites are pre cooked on a remote server.

• Like 2

For every user Microsoft convinces to use the Modern UI, they have one more user they get to choose what programs they can see. They get to certify programs and control the experience.

...What an idiot.

• Like 2

They all use the Safari renderer. They're basically Maxthon for safari. Opera is slightly different since while it does use the safari engine, the sites are pre cooked on a remote server.

Ah-ha, gotcha, thanks.

Ok, here's why Gabe Newell and Notch are terrified of Windows 8.

Modern/Metro and the store are Microsoft's version of Steam.

A distribution system that they control to push apps to desktops, tablets and phones, but unlike Steam, it's built in to the OS.

Microsoft gets millions of users automatically by the store being installed in Windows. The result is that Valve is worried about it's distribution network, which suddenly has real competition.

Developers like Notch (and Valve) suddenly have to compete much harder in this environment. The users finally have a huge marketplace to compare and review applications. This isn't great for hot developers, but it's much better for the users.

Claiming that Windows 8 limits choices in Windows is the same as claiming Steam limits choices in Windows.

• Like 3

Oracle barely controls Java, it's open-source and free to develop for.

they determine how stable and secure (or lack thereof) they ignore the glaring sec. flaws.... they ignored users for years...

I like Windows 8 as an operating system and will be upgrading to it but I think that Notch was completely on the ball about his criticism of the Windows Store and the amount of power it gives Microsoft. We're talking about a company that has historically abused its monopoly position and now they're making a power play to control the entire platform. They'll get to decide what apps appear and get a cut of the profits of every app sold on the Windows Store. We're talking about a company that is being investigated by the EU for breaching an anti-trust agreement - and which has prevented any competing browser engine from running on Windows RT - yet people are suggesting there's nothing to worry about regarding Microsoft's attempt to close off the platform. How long will it be before Microsoft considers traditional X86-64 applications to be a security risk and to start placing more and more restrictions on them? How long until X86-64 apps will be required to be signed and distributed through the Windows Store?

Neowin's original article was way off base and it is sad that so many people agreed with it. Notch is concerned about the future of the platform and he's not the only one.

What does any of what you said has anything do with this whole Minecraft thing? It's not about the Metro app certification but the desktop app certification.

Wait..wait..before I jump on this, this whole deal is for mobile OS right?

Because if it is about desktop versions..yeah..

Wait..wait..before I jump on this, this whole deal is for mobile OS right?

Because if it is about desktop versions..yeah..

Yupp, just mobile.

Mac OS X is open to any engines browser developers want to use.

Saved me some minutes of typing angrily there.

I know that feeling, bro! :laugh:

edit:/addition:

Oracle certifies programs now?

Oracle decides which platforms to support and for how long.

You see, building an application using Java is a cross-platform advantage, but in a way you depend on them supporting your PC OS for how long you need the applications to run that use Java.

So in a way, they kind of decide the fate of your apps, too.

Think Flash on Android and Linux. (Linux = Chrome being the exception... Nice pushing Chrome there, Google.)

Oracle certifies programs now?

no but his game depends on java... which is crap.