england eating him out of business pigging out

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,887 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:42

George Dalmon, a former rugby player, and his friend Andy Miles were banned from all-you-can-eat restaurant, Gobi, In Brighton, after the manager branded them "a couple of pigs".

The men would each eat five bowls of stir-fry during their regular meals at the Mongolian barbecue, which invites guests to create their own dishes from the buffet.

Diners are told they can request meals "as many times as you wish" for £12.

The manager, who did not want to be named, said the two friends were eating him out of business. He said: "Basically they just come in and pig out. We have put up with them for two years but I've had enough.

"They are in such a hurry to beat everyone to the food they spoil everything. We are supposed to be a buffet but they eat everything out of the bowls before people can get there. We just can't keep doing this."

He said diners drank only water and never paid the optional service charge. He added: "We are not a charity, we're a business. It's our restaurant and we can tell people not to come back if we don't want them to."

But Mr Dalmon, 26, said the restaurant should honour its promotion. He said: "They've only got small bowls and you can't get enough in there so we always go back for more.

"We've been eating there for a couple of years then suddenly the owner came to our table in front of all the customers and went absolutely mental. He said we were a couple of pigs and we were banned for life. I couldn't believe it."

source

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:56

Isn't that what all you can eat is for? Maybe he needs to charge a bit more if he's losing money on those two.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,887 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:58

He should sneak in some crushed-up Mentos mints. :shifty:

#4 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:07

I was thinking Hum was banned from the all you can eat restraunts....I mean I would ban him. :p

#5 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,887 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:08

I'm only banned from the sex houses. :shifty:

#6 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:12

False advertising, deserves a fine.

#7 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:23

He made a good effort putting up with it for 2 years, but it is still not right. He should raise the prices to compensate for his losses like any rational business would do; not go entirely against his business model in an emotional uproar. Still, I can't really fault him. Anyone can refuse anyone service, but he should have thought of a better excuse just for publicity sakes.

#8 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,213 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:50

I have not (yet) been banned from some all-you-can-eat restaurants but I notice they actively dodge my table when making rounds and just yesterday at a Japanese joint they gave me less than what I requested. Wwhen the people of my table were all done, and I kept going with requests the waitress came at me with a bitchy attitude -- "Hey, you no done yet?". Bitch please.

#9 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• 1,590 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:53

Sounds similar to telecoms once advertising unlimited data.

#10 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,810 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:54

"Sir, please don't take the steam trays....sir?"

Posted Image

#11 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,466 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:57

This isn't that uncommon, as in most places have made it legal.. "All You Can Eat" is a phrase, more than a promise.. they are allowed to enforce a "with reason".. It's not like after one day he kicked them out.. This had been going on for over a year..

In any case, I think he's within his rights to ban them. You can't have one or two people ruining it for every other customer who doesn't clean out a whole buffet.

#12 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• 5,265 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:04

This isn't that uncommon, as in most places have made it legal.. "All You Can Eat" is a phrase, more than a promise.. they are allowed to enforce a "with reason".. It's not like after one day he kicked them out.. This had been going on for over a year..

In any case, I think he's within his rights to ban them. You can't have one or two people ruining it for every other customer who doesn't clean out a whole buffet.

Well while they did go in ther for 2 year i dont think they should of got banned cause lets be honest tho they was paying for the all you can eat thing so they are paying customers . and didnt they think they could just make more of what ever they ate out of unless the place is to dang cheap to stock enough of what ever to cover ther all you can eat stuff

#13 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,555 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:08

Yeah, I don't know about this. They're clearly regulars, and there are surely more people who don't eat their money's worth (always happens to me :pinch: ) than folks like this--I highly doubt they are losing money due to these two individuals.

#14 Ryya

Ryya

Guru

• 237 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:08

"Fair use policy" comes to mind. :)

#15 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• 3,763 posts
  • Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:11

Makes sense. It's not fair for some greedy slob to eat the entire inventory and deprive everyone else for one low price.