single-player wow gaming

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#16 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,885 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:53

Well the reason I was speaking, in terms of money, was that the reason multi-player games tend to last longer, is because of the replay value. Single player games don't generally have that value, but to me don't need it if the game is good enough. Take Assassin's Creed for example. It is one of the very, very few games I don't mind spending a $60 price tag on, because of how it draws me in and the story, gameplay, writing, all of it, are amazing. There aren't many single player games, that can stand on their own, and not have replay value (to some), and still succeed greatly. Everyone has a different opinion, though. But these games seem so few and far between, that I will buy a predominant single-player game, and it will go unfinished because it was a lackluster product. So many of these are being churned out, that companies do seem to force them to develop a multi-player along with it as a fail-safe or something to keep the longevity going, which can take away from the single-player.

I don't think I am making any sense right now, I took some NyQuil and am tired. My thoughts aren't conveying well.

I will put your source in the OP then.

I get it, and I'm a big fan of single-player gaming. But signs have not been good for big budget games for a while now.

Everyone remembers when Enix absorbed Square. It was in no small part a business move: these companies were both heavily in the single-player gaming business, and Square especially was making very expensive games. They were hemorrhaging money, and whenever you see "yet another port" hit an appstore or handheld and feel like these companies are wasting time, that's why. These remakes and ports are quick, cheap ways to get some income.

Major multi-platform single-player games cost tens of millions of dollars to produce over years of development and it takes months to get a return--if the game is successful enough. Every new game comes inherently with risk as a result.

There are, of course, indy games, and single-player does well there, but they're low budget games with very few success stories compared to the number of games that exist. The indy market is home to very passionate players, but also to the sort of subhuman trash that would say an Android game isn't worth 99 cents just because it crashes on their hacked CM10 alpha setup.

#17 FightAndLive

FightAndLive

Neowinian

• 341 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:55

So many of these are being churned out, that companies do seem to force them to develop a multi-player along with it as a fail-safe or something to keep the longevity going, which can take away from the single-player

It all comes down to money, I agree a lot of people have ideas on what kind of a game to make, the problem is everyone has ideas and most ideas are just crap or rehashes of old stuff. Multiplayer in a game that doesn't focus on multiplayer they usually wait till the very end just before the product ships to half ass something, usually at the request of the publisher. Publishers usually have game studios by the balls, at times you guys blame the wrong people, blame the publisher. Either way this isn't a excuse to pirate a game : ).

#18 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,885 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:58

what i worry about is the new SimCity... if that game won't allow modding the series, is again, d.e.a.d. SimCity allready tried to return with Societies, and it flopped worse then Vista....

now they try to bring it back again once more and they need to go mod or go home.... sites like simtropolis are gonna tear SC2013 up if it won't have modding and that genre of game has very vocal, very demanding, but very passionate fans.... we are very dissapointed in the sim genre scene like how some people are dissapointed in the EDM scene or those in the hip-hop scene... we are often the ones that have got left behind while the FPS scene is the most catered too... the shock jocks that only have twitch and not finesse and patience... those numbers are increasing while the sim crowd is getting dumbed down in favor of facebook crap while us intelligent sim gamer crowd gets neglected and bored and we wear out simcity 4 or 2K....

angst... angst.... angst.... this is the lament of an old school hardcore gamer.... becoming less and less of one due to the lack of quality these days.... minecraft kinda fills it so far as creativity for me, however there's the emotional void....

skyrim and minecraft are the last two games I've gotten anything out of.... 2 games in 2 years.... pathetic.... back in the day I would find 5 or 6 at least...

oh well... more space on my HDD for cat videos!!!!

FWIW, Societies didn't flop because of a lack of modding, and modding isn't nearly as core to the SC franchise as the 'feel' of the game to its nostalgic fan base.

Just look at the insanely successful Kairosoft games on mobile devices. These games have no modding community at all, but offer something very Maxis-esque when you dive in and play Mega Mall Story or Venture Towns. If the new SimCity captures even half of that 'something', it'll be worth picking up.

#19 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,394 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:01

FWIW, Societies didn't flop because of a lack of modding, and modding isn't nearly as core to the SC franchise as the 'feel' of the game to its nostalgic fan base.

Just look at the insanely successful Kairosoft games on mobile devices. These games have no modding community at all, but offer something very Maxis-esque when you dive in and play Mega Mall Story or Venture Towns. If the new SimCity captures even half of that 'something', it'll be worth picking up.

It flopped because the dev really didn't listen to the fans and make the game too dumbed down to appeal to the mainstream....

#20 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:12

Solo play FTW!!! Nuff said :p

#21 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,395 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:15

Single-player gaming isn't dead. If that were true, then games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings wouldn't have been successful. And those are just two out of many successful single-player games. Also, nothing in gaming is truly dead unless no one plays it anymore. If anything is dying right now, it's subscripion-based MMO games.

#22 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,394 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:29

Single-player gaming isn't dead. If that were true, then games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings wouldn't have been successful. And those are just two out of many successful single-player games. Also, nothing in gaming is truly dead unless no one plays it anymore. If anything is dying right now, it's subscripion-based MMO games.

MMOs are a great example becuase it's a commitment.... you have to get all you can eat for 15/mo.... you have to try to make it as worth it as possible.... pigging out like a fat kid at golden corral.... and it leads to destruction.... because you can only take so much before you throw up....

while a game like skyrim or assassin's creed is a delicious entree from your fav restaruant... you savor at your own pace and not try to rush eat... and get really engrossed in it... and it's often very high quality... rather then cheap crappy buffet food.

#23 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

• 16,161 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:36

There were quite a few good sp games lately...mostly dragon age, mass effect, assassins creed and few more. So even with these few examples its not even close to being dead.

If only devs wont cheap out on good story, presentation and narrative it wont be dead for a long time. Shooting/hacking etc. things online is fun but you still get bored and need arrise for something more "meaty"...like a game with a good story.

#24 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,607 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:03

Look how much money has been thrown into failed or low playerbase MMOs.

Which could've gone into decent single player games.

And is also probably the very reason we have so many indie devs now, the big names are just drying up or dying out.

I don't think single player gaming is dead at all, I think it's just being drained of resources by the idiots trying to develop The Next WoW.

#25 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,937 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:34

Skyrim
Batman: Arkham City
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Max Payne 3
Civilization V
The Witcher 2
X-COM: Enemy Unknown
Metro: Last Light
Dishonored
Watchdogs
GTA V
Assassin's Creed 3
Dead Space 3
Crysis 3
Bioshock: Infinite
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Mass Effect 3
Portal 2
Total War: Shogun 2
Hitman: Absolution
Far Cry 3
SimCity
Tomb Raider
Dragon Age III

I don't need to say anything more.

#26 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:35

I try not to play Multiplayer as often as I can, I don't think it's as fun as other people think. Single player gaming is still the most entertaining kind there is.

Also, I bet the bare minimum for a years worth of World of Warcraft gameplay would be around the $250 mark. :x I think that is ridiculous. It's just a game. Blizzard must be laughing all the way to the bank.

#27 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,643 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:43

If games go to a pure MMO/MP type only thing then I'm done with gaming. I played games because I got drawn into a good SP, not to run around a map and frag people endlessly or grind endlessly just to level up, to me those two things are boring. I love a good SP with gameplay and most of all a good story to back it up and draw me in.

I hate MMOs, I won't pay for them let alone waste my time doing the same mindless grinding for nothing, I could just as well spend the time playing one of the many casual games which in the end, IMO, are the same mindless repetition but with less pretty graphics. Give me a good SP like Assassins Creed where I can spend 40-60hrs in at my own pace and I'll gladly drop $60 for it day one.

#28 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,807 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:57

Single-Player gaming is dead? I'm not too sure who I've been playing against for the past year then, considering I have no Internet connection in my apartment...

#29 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,529 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:02

GTA would suck without multi-player! /s

#30 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

• 6,854 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:03

Well, seeing as I don't play online games I'd say it's very much ALIVE; See Mass Effect, Quake 1,2 & 4, Doom, gah, I won't list them all.