university of south alabama ignored officers commands wetumpka

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:19

(CNN) -- Authorities are investigating why a University of South Alabama officer fatally shot an 18-year-old freshman who they say was naked and acting erratically outside the campus police station early Saturday.

With few details of the shooting, the student's mother and one of his friends said they could not understand how a six-year varsity wrestler and good-natured teenager could have died under such strange and sad circumstances.

According to a statement from the school, the campus police officer heard a loud banging noise on a window at the station at 1:23 a.m. CT (2:23 a.m. ET) Saturday. When he left the station to investigate, the school said, "he was confronted by a muscular, nude man who was acting erratically."

The man, later identified as Gilbert Thomas Collar, of Wetumpka, Alabama, repeatedly rushed and verbally challenged the officer in a fighting stance, the school said.

The officer, whose name hasn't been released, drew his weapon and ordered Collar to stop, the school said. The officer retreated several times to try to calm the situation.

"When the individual continued to rush toward the officer in a threatening manner and ignored the officer's repeated commands to stop, the officer fired one shot with his police sidearm, which struck the chest of the assailant," the school statement said. "The individual fell to the ground, but he got up once more and continued to challenge the officer further before collapsing and expiring."

Collar's mother, Bonnie, said the two people who called her with the news of her son -- someone from the school and another involved in the investigation -- did not mention that her son was trying to attack anyone when he was shot.

"He was wearing no clothes and he was obviously not in his right mind," she told CNN. "No one said that he had attacked anybody, and obviously he was not armed. He was completely naked."

"The first thing on my mind is, freshman kids do stupid things, and campus police should be equipped to handle activity like that without having to use lethal force," Bonnie said.

Campus police immediately contacted the district attorney's office to request an external investigation, and the Mobile County Sheriff's Department will assist, the school said.

The officer has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of internal and external investigations, according to the school, which enrolls about 15,000 students.

Investigators are looking at security camera tape of the shooting, Collar's mother said.

Earlier Saturday, Ayers called it a "campus tragedy" for the university family but offered no other details, citing the active investigation.

more

#2 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,701 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:48

sounds like this guy might of been high? Maybe a taser would be better to use in this situation.

#3 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:16

:ermm: guns, what cool things to put into the hands of idiots! :rolleyes:

#4 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:25

"The individual fell to the ground, but he got up once more and continued to challenge the officer further before collapsing and expiring."

I have no idea if the agent had a baton or a taser with him and I don't really like triggerhappiness, but the dude in question is a trained wrestling athlete and if he was high on PCP, a lot of people got lucky.

#5 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,310 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:26

"When the individual continued to rush toward the officer in a threatening manner and ignored the officer's repeated commands to stop, the officer fired one shot with his police sidearm, which struck the chest of the assailant," the school statement said. "The individual fell to the ground, but he got up once more and continued to challenge the officer further before collapsing and expiring."

​I definitely would not have fired a taser at this guy knowing that if he got a hold of me he would likely bash my skull in... I mean if you guys want to take that risk, then that's fine, Hum would just be posting about you in a few days and we would all be posting comments of "Darwin award winner"..... so... yeah..

#6 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian Senior

• 1,528 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:37

Don't do drugs kids and maybe you wouldn't run around naked and attempt to attack an armed man.

#7 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,286 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:38

Another case of high on 'Bath Salt' maybe? ...

#8 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:40

baton wouldn't help with drugs, taser would only help till the charge ran out... then the guard is dead.... he did the right thing and could have saved a couple innocent lives....

#9 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:41

It is called a Taser

#10 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,304 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:44

Sad that people are condoning this kind of behaviour.

Officers should never use lethal force on an unarmed man.

This is inexcusable and I hope he's charged with a criminal offence.

#11 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:46

The officer, whose name hasn't been released, drew his weapon and ordered Collar to stop, the school said. The officer retreated several times to try to calm the situation.

Pulling a weapn is A. not retreating and B. not going to calm the situation. Guns are not made for calming a situation. They are made for ending them.

#12 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,286 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:50

Really? why don't you try to stop these kind of people high on drug w/o using force. What you do if you don't have anything besides gun at that time? You want to stop him with bare hand alone?

Sad that people are condoning this kind of behaviour.

This is inexcusable and I hope he's charged with a criminal offence.

#13 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:01

When was the last time you faced someone under the influence of PCP/bath salts? I am not going to describe what I had to do in order to get out of his grip.

#14 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:02

Sounds like the officer didn't really have a whole lot of choices.

#15 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 23:51

A good choice would have been to just let him continue to run around -- he would have tired out eventually.