5 replies to this topic

#1 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:02

Hello everybody.

I just took a spare HDD and installed Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2 on it. I have a PNY NVIDIA 250, If it matters. I installed my drivers (NVIDIA-Current-Updates) if I remember right, and I installed my updates as well. I rebooted, logged in, and for the first 30 seconds, window dragging and animation is buttery smooth, but then lags and locks up. I have tried every driver with the same results. I have nothing installed or modded anything. What's up? Is it just typical beta glitches? Anyone else having this issue?

I have googled it and they told me to delete my .confg (I think) and my .compiz folder. This unfortunately, did not help.

Thanks Guys! I appreciate any and all help!

#2 Zeek18

Zeek18

Neowinian

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:18

Sounds to me like when you install the nVidia driver it's not enabling hardware acceleration. Try
glxinfo | grep render
does it say yes? also I would try
glxinfo |grep vendor
and see what it says as well.

#3 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:21

Sounds like Compiz window decorations getting bugged out again. Ubuntu 11.10 was terrible with this and I had to use a special patched version from one of the Compiz devs.

As Beta 2 was released before this was committed, then I guess its related https://bugs.launchp...iz/ bug/1050610 though they reported after a few days... but still.

#4 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2012 - 18:09

Sounds to me like when you install the nVidia driver it's not enabling hardware acceleration. Try

glxinfo | grep render
does it say yes? also I would try
glxinfo |grep vendor
and see what it says as well.

I'll try that when I get home and let you know. :) Thanks!

Sounds like Compiz window decorations getting bugged out again. Ubuntu 11.10 was terrible with this and I had to use a special patched version from one of the Compiz devs.

As Beta 2 was released before this was committed, then I guess its related https://bugs.launchp...iz/+bug/1050610 though they reported after a few days... but still.

Yeah, Compiz defiantly needs some work. I really hope they make the jump to Wayland in 13.04. Maybe It'll fix a lot of Ubuntu's graphical niggles. I looked at the link you sent me and it is a "High-Priority" bug, with any luck, an update might fix it...hopefully.

#5 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 08 October 2012 - 18:26

Compiz will still be used as the system compositor even when Wayland support comes about. Though it'll probably force a major re-write that will hopefully fix a lot of fundamental issues that can be seen with X11. However, it'll also introduce a whole lot of regressions as well.

I don't think Wayland will be introduced in 13.04 though. They really need to concentrate with getting performance up with Compiz/Unity when Valve's Linux Steam client should hit public release.

#6 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2012 - 20:18

I think I fixed it. LOL. I installed the Nouveiew FOSS driver instead of the NVIDIA one. It still kinda lags, but it's do-able at least. I hope this gets fixed before the release. Thanks again all!!!