new mexico sound barrier nasa red bull live internet stream

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#16 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,991 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:54

One of the major limitations in commercial space flight is the problem of safety. Widespread commercial space flight will not be allowed for the public until it is deemed safe enough. One safety concern is what to do in the case of a failed launch. If he survived this, it will bring us one step closer to companies having a safer method of action in case of a launch failure.

But that's not stopping current commercial flights :huh: I mean, it's not like you can jump off them, no matter what goes wrong up there.

#17 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,777 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:58

The code name for this project is "Red Mist". Because once they are done that's all that's going to be left.

#18 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,504 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 16:14

So it's not even a Space jump that people keep banging on about. The edge of Space is 62 miles.

#19 xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

Neowinian Senior

• 2,519 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 16:23

So it's not even a Space jump that people keep banging on about. The edge of Space is 62 miles.

its higher than any one else has jumped from so :p

#20 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,504 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 16:28

Just getting annoyed at my Facebook feed... "OMG SPACE JUMP!!!"... no, just no.

#21 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,014 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 16:34

I saw Superman do it first.

#22 xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

Neowinian Senior

• 2,519 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 16:35

Just getting annoyed at my Facebook feed... "OMG SPACE JUMP!!!"... no, just no.

relax guyz why so serious? its just a facebook feed. you know its not a proper space jump
let the n00biez have there fun.

#23 xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

Neowinian Senior

• 2,519 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:54

its been aborted until tomorrow according to the live feed.

#24 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 18:04

But that's not stopping current commercial flights :huh: I mean, it's not like you can jump off them, no matter what goes wrong up there.

It doesn't apply to current commercial jets because there is no way to quickly get ready for the jump and get out in time before it crashed. The actual long term goal is not to do high altitude jumps. The long term goal is to get to a point where you can enter the atmosphere and survive that free fall. While Nasa is looking at it for aborting launches, even they know that if you are still in the atmosphere when the systems fail, there isn't much that can be done to save the crew. They are interested in solutions that allow someone to jump just outside of the atmosphere were explosions tend not to happen due to a lack of air.

#25 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,991 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:11

It doesn't apply to current commercial jets because there is no way to quickly get ready for the jump and get out in time before it crashed. The actual long term goal is not to do high altitude jumps. The long term goal is to get to a point where you can enter the atmosphere and survive that free fall. While Nasa is looking at it for aborting launches, even they know that if you are still in the atmosphere when the systems fail, there isn't much that can be done to save the crew. They are interested in solutions that allow someone to jump just outside of the atmosphere were explosions tend not to happen due to a lack of air.

It's really great for the NASA, but I'm not sure about the required equipment and training making it into commercial flights.

Even if passengers could jump from current commercial aircrafts, most (if not all) would likely die anyway from parachute entaglements or breaking all their bones at landing, assuming you could fit all the equipment required to survive the lack of oxigen and the freezing temperatures.
And then parachutes are frigging expensive to maintain and handle properly, I'd bet companies would rather not go that way.

#26 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,014 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:49

its been aborted until tomorrow according to the live feed.

He wanted to die on a Wednesday.

#27 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:06

He wanted to die on a Wednesday.

Oh ye of little faith.

#28 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:14

Yea the news here said because they use that big balloon to take him up, they need <6mph winds, so aborted

#29 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:25

It's really great for the NASA, but I'm not sure about the required equipment and training making it into commercial flights.

Even if passengers could jump from current commercial aircrafts, most (if not all) would likely die anyway from parachute entaglements or breaking all their bones at landing, assuming you could fit all the equipment required to survive the lack of oxigen and the freezing temperatures.
And then parachutes are frigging expensive to maintain and handle properly, I'd bet companies would rather not go that way.

No doubt but everything is about making things smaller, more automated, and safer. This is the place to start to see if it is even possible.

#30 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,991 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:12

No jumping today either.

I don't know how's the weather usually in that area, but it seems to me that getting slow stable winds all through the balloon inflation, launch and ascension is going to be like a lottery.