Installing a SURFboard Cable Modem

So show me some proof as to why it is false. I think that after 100's of cable modem installs & testing, I would have a pretty broad knowledge of what works well and what doesn't.

I've installed Optimum Online on computers via USB and via Ethernet. Ethernet is always faster.

Optimum Online Provides speeds of 8-10Mb.

USB is not able to keep up with the bandwidth.

I've replaced users computers with ethernet cards and instananously they got 2-3 times more bandwidth.

Its experience man. Use Ethernet before USB.

I've installed Optimum Online on computers via USB and via Ethernet. Ethernet is always faster.

Optimum Online Provides speeds of 8-10Mb.

USB is not able to keep up with the bandwidth.

I've replaced users computers with ethernet cards and instananously they got 2-3 times more bandwidth.

Its experience man. Use Ethernet before USB.

USB 1.1> 12MB /S

Experience has nothing to do with it. Technical facts & the ability of the hardware do. Ethernet is "recommended" because it is easier to hook up & offers more options (router, switch, etc.). If you had to put an ethernet card into those people's systems, you ended up charging them extra for something that they did not absolutely need & could've avoided it by updating the drivers & firmware for the modem:no:. Been there, done that.

BTW, I am not trying to start a ****ing match with you. Just a friendly discussion:).

12MegaBits ...is SHARED and Your Computer uses like part of that.

Stop please. You are wrong in the account for My ISP.

All you other people who have crappy cable connections cannot even talk.

OOL is the fastest cable anywhere. USB Simply doesn't cut it on our end.

Well seeing as your the only one with OOL apparently your statement on Ethernet being better then USB doesn't really apply to the rest of us.

I don't care if it doesn't apply to your service. I'm not using yours and nor do I care about it either.

When I worked at AOL High speed tech support they always told us to try and get the customers to avoid using USB like the plague. (about 80% of our calls involve a USB connect) but then again probably 80% of people use USB becouse they dont have built in Ethernet or dont know what it is. I figure it this way id rather keep my USB ports open for scanner, Printer, and joysticks and stuff. Another thing they said was that some USB modems pull too much power from the USB port wich is wired right to your Mobo so those traces that lead to USB hook up are pulling too many amps and sometimes they burn out. <---- Last line could be total BS but thats what they told me. Hmmm maybe if you had the modem plugged in and a USB powered scanner going at the same time that would be a lot of juice tho......

I don't care if it doesn't apply to your service. I'm not using yours and nor do I care about it either.

So you find this a good reason to spam the board about how good your internet service is...

Here a medal, just for you...

There you go, now print that out, and show everyone JUST how proud you are!!!!

NOW back to the real question, has anyone get a 5100 series to run on Longhorn over USB?

post-83-1067316412.jpg

Oh dear lets clear this up.

Ethernet and USB speeds are going to be the same.

Ethernet wins the battle of the connection methods by far and there is no room for debate on that:

1. Very standard and a mature connection method.

2. Many times more stable than USB

3. Uses less system resources.

4. No need for poorly written USB drivers and useless software (biggest reason to choose ethernet)

I've never had any problems running my 4200 Surfboard via USB, what's so bad about it?

In LH build #4051 a lot of people were experiencing a restart during their installation (including me) of a SB4200 (and older ones I think someone reported a 4100) modem via USB and upon every LH 4051 boot up there would be a BSOD.

You couldn't do anything about it unless you went on another hard drive and replaced netmotcm.sys (version 2.1) in system32\drivers in the LH drive with the SB5100 version (2.3) -OR- bootup into Safe Mode and do that (haven't tried that), or just reformat.

Reason why I'm using USB is because my SB4200's Ethernet just died one day. I'll get an IP address from the DHCP server but I won't be able to browse the net.

I've tried a few things:

1) Changing PCI slots

2) Unplugging the modem for 15 seconds and plugging it back in

2) Shutting my whole computer down and repeat step #2

My network card is a "Network Everywhere" Model No. NC100U-WM, Installs as a Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Adapter I think.

This is the second ethernet card I've tried also. The other one I tried just wouldn't even get an IP address and would crash upon installing.