Forza Horizon - PGR lives!

forza horizon pgr nfs

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:22

OK, once more, i can't find anything here about this...

http://www.amazon.co...s=forza horizon

Posted Image
The demo was fantastic, this looks like it's going to be one of my fave games of the year. i thought it would be a silly linear story-thing like The Run, but even though there does seem to be a story (which is not needed i think), it's more like Hot Pursuit in that you get an entire region to freely drive around, choose events etc. PLUS it's got the Forza sheen (better graphics than F3 by far), PLUS the car collection, PLLLLLLLUUUUUSSS the fun and madness of PGR!!! Yes, Project Gotham has been revided! balloons and confetti when you finish a race? check. Points for pretty much anything you do? Check. ok, so they're not Kudos, but they're still points!

This looks amazing! This gaming season has from lame to awesome in like a month, it makes last year look pale in comparison.

#2 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:03

I was pleasantly surprised by the demo too, loved the Mustang vs. Mustang race. Definitely buying the game on release day (Y)

#3 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:30

Open World Forza sounds good to me.

Giant Bomb has a good Quick Look showing what you can except to be doing in it:
http://www.giantbomb...orizon/17-6675/

#4 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

#ForzaJules

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:31

Yes, Project Gotham has been revided! balloons and confetti when you finish a race? check. Points for pretty much anything you do? Check. ok, so they're not Kudos, but they're still points!

I wouldn't personally go as far as saying this is the revival of PGR, as in the demo, I didn't think it played like PGR. To me, it felt more like the gameplay of Test Drive Unlimited mixed with the theatrics of DiRT 2 (or Need for Speed ProStreet).

#5 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:36

Definitely looking forward to this game, got my MS Wireless Racing Wheel waiting in my basement for it in fact. I prefer a tad more arcadey racer myself, do not like the super realistic ones all that much, so think I will dig this even more than previously.

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:31

It actually has the PGR DNA in another more significant way.

PGR's engine was actually a full heavy simulation engine at he back, that was tuned down to semi arcade. and Horizon of course has the full Forza power behind it.

#7 what

what

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:42

I guess I'm the only one who found the demo boring. Car handling was awful, engine sounds were dull, music/voiceovers are terrible, and they don't even use controller vibration over dirt terrain. Overall it was a pretty lifeless experience, I wasn't drawn in at all.

I would give it some plus points for the graphics, but when everything is brown, it's difficult to justify.

#8 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:45

I actually love the IQ on this game, whatever AA / smoothing their usng is ridiculously good - it's got to be the smoothest and cleanest console game I've ever come across. Easily better than Forza 4 as well. Makes me wonder what kinda of ridiculousness the Polygon reviewer was talking about when he derided Horizon's graphics.

On the topic of car handling, I didn't find it any more different than Forza, with most of the assists turned off. And the brown... well, the demo only shows a brown area of the map. It does include cities and forests and other more colourful areas in the actual game :p

#9 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

#ForzaJules

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:54

I guess I'm the only one who found the demo boring. Car handling was awful, engine sounds were dull, music/voiceovers are terrible, and they don't even use controller vibration over dirt terrain. Overall it was a pretty lifeless experience, I wasn't drawn in at all.

I would give it some plus points for the graphics, but when everything is brown, it's difficult to justify.

Yeah, I wasn't too into it either. I only played it for about 15 minutes, so can't really give a detailed opinion until I try it again (maybe tonight), but what peeved me the most is that it's another step backwards in the series in terms of framerate. I can't remember what the framerate in the original Forza was, but I know that Forza 2 was 60FPS with 30FPS replays, Forza 3 was the same as Forza 2, Forza 4 was the same again, but for some bizarre reason, when playing in the cockpit view, the rear-view mirror is 30FPS, and now Forza Horizon is completely 30FPS. That really takes a lot away from the experience for me. There's no real sense of speed like in the previous games (and the Gran Turismo games, and pretty much any PC sim around); they've tried to compensate by going down the EA route with the Need for Speed/SHIFT games of recent years: motion blur and shaky cameras, but that just doesn't work.

#10 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:03

Getting bought day 1, why? So I can has TopGear challenges online :D

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:06

Yeah, I wasn't too into it either. I only played it for about 15 minutes, so can't really give a detailed opinion until I try it again (maybe tonight), but what peeved me the most is that it's another step backwards in the series in terms of framerate. I can't remember what the framerate in the original Forza was, but I know that Forza 2 was 60FPS with 30FPS replays, Forza 3 was the same as Forza 2, Forza 4 was the same again, but for some bizarre reason, when playing in the cockpit view, the rear-view mirror is 30FPS, and now Forza Horizon is completely 30FPS. That really takes a lot away from the experience for me. There's no real sense of speed like in the previous games (and the Gran Turismo games, and pretty much any PC sim around); they've tried to compensate by going down the EA route with the Need for Speed/SHIFT games of recent years: motion blur and shaky cameras, but that just doesn't work.

30 or 60 doesn't affect the feel of speed. in any case the reason for dropping it to 30 is simple. it's not a sim, it's an while not fully arcade, it's more arcadey and as the title suggest, more of a PGR game focused on graphics and fun.

#12 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:11

This game is a conglomerate of sorts to all the previous top-selling racing games with their specific 'awesome' factors rolled into one, including micro-transactions. Its enough sim to be hard and enough arcade to be fun. Its a nice upgrade to the forza series which holds its clean sim but enough extras to be fun without ruining it or going overboard.

#13 Razorwing

Razorwing

Who You Gonna Call?

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:20

Tried the demo, didn't like it at all. Still staying with Forza 4.

#14 randominteger

randominteger

Neowinian

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:22

Getting bought day 1, why? So I can has TopGear challenges online :D

Top Gear challenges aren't in the game. All the races are on the open world of the Horizon festival.

#15 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:23

I think I'm gonna download the demo now. I loved Forza 3 and 4 so I can't wait to see what's in store for this one. :D