On this day in 2008...

... the first Android Phone went on sale in the US: The HTC Dream, also known as the T-Mobile G1.

1.jpg

Android has come a long way since - both the operating system and the hardware it's running on.

Who knows what the Android ecosystem will be like four years from now.

And it still has 4.1 before a majority of android devices (hacked i know, but still to the point)

Crazy how much times have changed.

I can imagine it runs at a snail's pace though.

Woah, I don't remember seeing this...why does it look like they attached the set of buttons at the last minute?

That's because you've not see how it opens...

T-Mobile-G1-01.jpg

Wow, they really were ghastly phones. Shocked if anyone is still carrying their half-brick about.

I had one of those phones and at the time they were lightyears ahead of their competition! Granted they now look like bricks, but show me one piece of technology that doesn't look dated over time. The keyboard worked great, the stock build of Android was zippy and it simply worked. My only qualm was the shiny paint chipped off way too easily.

• Like 1

but show me one piece of technology that doesn't look dated over time

I am a huge Android fan... But I still say the design of the iPhone has help up well to time.

i would give anything to have a phone with a real keypad nowadays! but its a sacrifice i had to make for having a waterproof phone... then again, it isnt surprising that a reasonably priced waterproof phone would be running Android

Given that the iPhone came out a year before and is still sporting a mostly unchanged iconic design true to the original, I'd disagree with the sentiment that everything looks dated.

The G1 was an atrocious plastic monstrosity when it came out, and it isn't looking any better now.

I had one of those phones and at the time they were lightyears ahead of their competition! Granted they now look like bricks, but show me one piece of technology that doesn't look dated over time. The keyboard worked great, the stock build of Android was zippy and it simply worked. My only qualm was the shiny paint chipped off way too easily.

It was lightyears ahead of the iPhone? heck it was worse than WinMo6.x of the time. It sucked, period.

the issue with the phone at the time is not the hardware per-say but the fact that at the time of Andriods introduction on to smartphones Mobile OS area and such it lacked a tone of features and was just basic least seems that way today anyways .

it lacked a tone of features and was just basic least seems that way today anyways .

Talking about the features, it had a flash-player, multi-tasking, and copy-and-paste ability years before iPhone, not to mention a tonne of UI customizations.

it had a flash-player

Unfortunately the G1 never officially got Flash because an ARMv7 processor was required and the G1 was only ARMv6.

My roommate got one of those not too long after they came out, and I wanted one so bad. I still think it was a great phone...for 2008...

Actually the HTC Magic was the next device :p

I meant the next G model

the Hero was the G2