official nfs most wanted pc xbox ps3

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#16 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,393 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 24 October 2012 - 22:55

It won't. Neither did Need for Speed: The Run.

I doubt EA has any more DX9 games in them, though I wasn't expecting Mass Effect 3 to be so we'll see.

Are you certain? DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10/10.1. The only features that don't work are hardware-specific ones like tessellation (hull and domain shaders), BC6H/BC7 texture compression, shader model 5.0, and dynamic shader linkage. One of the features that supports DX10/10.1 hardware is improved multi-threaded rendering. It's possible that Criterion are taking advantage of that to limit the performance disparity between DX11 and DX10/10.1.

#17 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,542 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 23:01

Are you certain? DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10/10.1. The only features that don't work are hardware-specific ones like tessellation (hull and domain shaders), BC6H/BC7 texture compression, shader model 5.0, and dynamic shader linkage. One of the features that supports DX10/10.1 hardware is improved multi-threaded rendering. It's possible that Criterion are taking advantage of that to limit the performance disparity between DX11 and DX10/10.1.

What I meant was it won't support DX9.

#18 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,427 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 24 October 2012 - 23:59

Hot Pursuit 2010 was bloody awesome and Most Wanted was awesome as well. This should be good :D

Though it would've been nice if they had a demo out by now or before launch. Worst case scenario, the game ends up being a massive cluster**** like Undercover.

#19 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,393 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:06

What I meant was it won't support DX9.

My apologies for misunderstanding your post.

When I first read about the game running faster because of DX11, I assumed they were using Frostbite 2 (like Need for Speed: The Run). It turns out they're actually using a modified version of the Chameleon engine used in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

#20 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,542 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:14

Hot Pursuit 2010 was bloody awesome and Most Wanted was awesome as well. This should be good :D

Though it would've been nice if they had a demo out by now or before launch. Worst case scenario, the game ends up being a massive cluster**** like Undercover.

The days of Undercover and Prostreet are over.

Even Shift was pretty decent...not my thing but still decent.

Speaking of, am I the only one that liked Carbon? Everyone's always hating on it.

#21 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,062 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:23

Carbon wasn't terrible but I always found the drifting challenges to be frustrating. The original version of Most Wanted is my favourite NFS game to date so I hope this one lives up to the hype.

#22 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,427 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 16:27

The days of Undercover and Prostreet are over.

Even Shift was pretty decent...not my thing but still decent.

Speaking of, am I the only one that liked Carbon? Everyone's always hating on it.

Yeah, thankfully. ProStreet was in my opinion trying to knock steam off the likes of GRID and DiRT but failed - Shift though was pretty good.

And I liked Carbon too, even though people at the time were raging at Black Box "copying and pasting" vehicles from Most Wanted into Carbon and changing the lighting :p My gripe against Carbon was the highways were lacking, no helicopter chasing after you (I understand there will be no chopper in Most Wanted 2012, but consider in Carbon when you were arrested, there WAS a helicopter in the cutscene... wtf?), no random performance upgrades after beating a crew leader, police events weren't as hellish as Most Wanted, and of course the 3D facial animation was absolutely atrocious. But it was a decent city environment, the canyon events were great and frustrating, visual style was good (though the cars were really shiny despite whatever paint you put on them), and the music selection was okay.

Carbon wasn't terrible but I always found the drifting challenges to be frustrating. The original version of Most Wanted is my favourite NFS game to date so I hope this one lives up to the hype.

Agreed, always hated how the AI controlled bots would suddenly have times better than you with no way of you finding out until you passed a checkpoint.

#23 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,542 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 16:53

Like Most Wanted wasn't a copy and paste job from whatever came before it heh.

Practically the whole series was like that before.

#24 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,542 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 18:38

PC version just started preloading...right after I started downloading Windows 8 heh :)

Looks like the Vita version is a pretty much the same version as the consoles too (minor changes, a few races added)

http://www.shacknews...terion-includes

#25 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,427 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:14

Might as well do the preload.

Speaking of which, I really need some friends on Origin since AutoLog would otherwise be completely useless :p actually was wondering if Origin's friend list is also used by say Hot Pursuit 2010 and now Most Wanted 2012?

#26 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,542 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:28

Might as well do the preload.

Speaking of which, I really need some friends on Origin since AutoLog would otherwise be completely useless :p actually was wondering if Origin's friend list is also used by say Hot Pursuit 2010 and now Most Wanted 2012?

It's used in The Run, sadly Hot Pursuit used its own friends list.

SavagePaladin if ya want to add me, I can always use some competition.

#27 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,542 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 21:54

One of the data directories in the preload is Hawaii

I don't remember them saying anything about it taking place there...but I don't remember them talking about that at all, so there is that.

#28 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,201 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 October 2012 - 00:10

Damn, checking out all the posts in this thread just reminded me, I very well probably will not get my copy on release day. Have this stupid ass storm heading my way. Well I hope I keep my power so I can play it. Hell if it floods and I do have power, I may very well wind up picking up the digital version.

#29 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,427 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 00:46

Aye... stupid storm :/

Preload's almost done :D Bit of a complaint about Origin's billing as it added in tax (which I don't mind to an extent) and then presented that price to me, with tax, in USD (that I do mind). Either do it like Steam and don't charge tax but charge in USD, or charge me in CAD with tax. But not both. Anyways...

Who else besides Deranged is grabbing this for PC?

SavagePaladin if ya want to add me, I can always use some competition.

Adding - should see an invite from "rm20010"

#30 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,542 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:42

The sad thing is I still have Burnout Paradise, Hot Pursuit, and The Run installed...I tried removing the first two since Most Wanted was coming, but then as it came closer to the release date I had to put them back on.

Hah. Maybe they'll be on here forever!