Monster storm has meteorologists spooked

This area was lucky.

A lot of rain, a little wind, very few lost power.

If I hadn't read about a hurricane, I wouldn't have known there was one. :)

This is the first time I am on the internet since the storm hit, and that is because I am now at my in-laws. 4 days with no power, and no end in site, a policeman today told me as they were giving ice and water out that PSe&G is currently saying it can be 7-10 days until my power is back.

I know people lost their homes, and there are parts of NJ that are now gone, but I still have to say, this whole ordeal has sucked big time. Luckily my in-laws got power yesterday, or I would have been home right now, with only candlelight, and no heat, with the temperature getting down to 30 tonight. I was totally unprepared for the storm. Not food wise. Not candle wise. But I did not have a generator, which is, I know now, a must have for something like this.

I have lived in NJ my entire life. That is 36 years. Never saw anything like this. The closest was Hurricane Floyd and Hurricane Irene, and they were bad. This was straight up catastrophic, and since tonight is the first time I am seeing footage on TV, I see why there are now comparisons to Katrina. It is similar.

Just crazy, and I really just want to be home. Cannot wait for the power to come back.

Even crazier, is I have not had to work either, as the building I work in still does not have power either.

On the news people are upset about the floods and that they were stuck.

I'm sorry. However, didn't they tell you to lease? They did, I watched them on the news telling people what areas would flood and people need to leave.

The same **** happened with Katrina, people stayed and then bitched about it later...

On the news people are upset about the floods and that they were stuck.

I'm sorry. However, didn't they tell you to lease? They did, I watched them on the news telling people what areas would flood and people need to leave.

The same **** happened with Katrina, people stayed and then bitched about it later...

You might want to get some of your facts straight. Like for example the Mayor of Atlantic City actually told people they did not have to leave, and now he may be facing criminal charges as a result. Also like only parts of the residents of Long Beach Island were told to evacuate, and it was only 2 days after the storm it was a mandatory evacuation.

Luckily I was in an area with zero flooding, but I am not going to sit here and let you come off all holier-than-thou when you are obviously not aware of some of the facts behind the matter.

Besides that, just curious, have you ever had to up and leave your home? Do you really think it is that easy to do so? Although I personally would leave if someone told me to, I can see how people would not.

Lucky you. I wish I could skip work. :) Here's this for your Mac. It's Crossover---it allows you to run Windows programs on OS X and It's free for a time to Sandy survivors. http://sandy.codeweavers.com/

Thanks for sharing. Just signed up.(Y)

You might want to get some of your facts straight. Like for example the Mayor of Atlantic City actually told people they did not have to leave, and now he may be facing criminal charges as a result. Also like only parts of the residents of Long Beach Island were told to evacuate, and it was only 2 days after the storm it was a mandatory evacuation.

Luckily I was in an area with zero flooding, but I am not going to sit here and let you come off all holier-than-thou when you are obviously not aware of some of the facts behind the matter. I wasn't talking about NJ at all, only NYC.

Besides that, just curious, have you ever had to up and leave your home? Do you really think it is that easy to do so? Although I personally would leave if someone told me to, I can see how people would not.

Thanks for sharing. Just signed up. (Y)

Mayor Bloomberg was on CNN doing a press conference a day or so before it hit NYC, he told people to leave.

http://www.businessinsider.com/hurricane-sandy-zone-a-evacuation-schools-closed-monday-2012-10

http://www.ibtimes.com/hurricane-sandy-bloomberg-issues-mandatory-evacuation-zone-flooding-likely-across-nyc-855278

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/28/new-york-sandy-transit/1663663/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/28/nyc-evacuations-hurricane-sandy-public-schools-closed_n_2034613.html

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/29/hurricane-sandy-evacuation-orders-and-shelter-locations-in-tri-state-area/

They were told ahead of time.

Where are all the idiots on page 3, 4, and 5 saying this wouldn't be a big deal? Y'all need to come in here and eat your crow like good boys!

It wasn't a big deal for me -- and I am quite grateful. ;)

I still don't understand how it's possible parts of New York's subway system were submerged. Here in Amsterdam we had the brilliant notion to actually install giant sluice gates in our underground metro stations in the event the city is flooded. Why this wasn't put in practise in lower Manhattan is beyond me. I also wonder when someone will finally step up and give the order to put all those electricity wires underground, something we did as well. Back in 1953 the Netherlands learned the hard way how important it is to have our infrastructure sorted out. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for Americans too.

Watching the whole thing unfold on CNN was quite unnerving. Horrific to see how so many people lost their homes over night. :no:

This is the first time I am on the internet since the storm hit, and that is because I am now at my in-laws. 4 days with no power, and no end in site, a policeman today told me as they were giving ice and water out that PSe&G is currently saying it can be 7-10 days until my power is back.

I've been through a couple of major ice storms and one hurricane and I feel for you all. It's just terrible being without power for that long. You don't really appreciate power until you have to go without it for a spell. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

I've been through a couple of major ice storms and one hurricane and I feel for you all. It's just terrible being without power for that long. You don't really appreciate power until you have to go without it for a spell. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

+1

This. I have a new found appreciation on everything. Luckily I drove 2 hrs south to Delaware to pick up a generator, that keeps a light on and a small space heater. The gas situation has made everything that much worse, I need to keep gas in the car and the generator. I drove 30 min west towards PA just to get gas. I know people lost much more after seeing the news at work so even with all the bs I have to put up with I know it could have been way worse.

Here is a quick video I took this morning on my way to work...