windows 8

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#391 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:49

Well, I go back to my Sinclair ZX80, all those many moons ago, I recall it was difficult to use, but once you got the hang of loading code from tape, it was a breeze, and I suspect it will be the same for Win8, people just adjust, eventually I guess. But at nearly 50 years of age now, and through many iterations of the Windows OS along the years, I'd rather have my ZX80 back in my lap today. :)

#392 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:52

Well, I go back to my Sinclair ZX80, all those many moons ago, I recall it was difficult to use, but once you got the hang of loading code from tape, it was a breeze, and I suspect it will be the same for Win8, people just adjust, eventually I guess. But at nearly 50 years of age now, and through many iterations of the Windows OS along the years, I'd rather have my ZX80 back in my lap today. :)

I remember my mom was telling me about having to put things on punch card, and work from that. I can't imagine trying to work with that...it would drive me nuts...well maybe not if I lived back then...but having lived in the here and now? Yeah...crazy making.

My point though was that sometimes we get set in our ways. I know even at just over 30 I have certain ways in which I'm set...but with technology you have to keep moving. It changes...and if you don't like change, you don't like technology. ;)

#393 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:23

My point though was that sometimes we get set in our ways. I know even at just over 30 I have certain ways in which I'm set...but with technology you have to keep moving. It changes...and if you don't like change, you don't like technology. ;)

Hey I love 'change', its what keeps the human race progressing. Technology moves that fast now, that its really hard to keep up with it all, but that's good, else, we would stand still, and that's not good.

I think Windows 8 made a leap too far in progressing though. Too much at the one time, as in 'change'. Yes, by all means move forward and do away with the old style. But why not 'introduce' the new, instead of forcing such a 'drastic' change on the end user?

Windows 8 could have easily included what was before, i.e start menu, whatever etc, and still introduced the end user to the new Start screen/features at the same time, then pending feedback from the end user, these old features could have then been removed in the next iteration of Windows?

This would have made users 'warm' more to Windows 8, and give them an insight as to what was coming in the future, rather than the way MS have chosen to do so.

#394 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:33

Well that's what they did actually.

The glaring this is the omission of the start button. The start screen however is just a new version of the start menu. The first thing you see is the personalized side of things (like in XP, Vista, and 7 with your most frequently used programs) and then you click on All Apps, and poof there's everything that the old start menu had.

All the old stuff is still there, just presented in a new way. They left the desktop there, and compatibility with all your old drivers and programs. They made sure it was incremental...but still a big enough change in order to move forward.

A lot of people seem to think that things are gone. The only thing that is gone is the graphic for the start button...and the old start menu look. In it's place you now have a 'start corner' if you will...and a full screen start menu with more options and better customization. :)

#395 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,425 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:36

feeling political? miss your start button? start a petition on care2 about it! Lawlz.

#396 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:54

Well that's what they did actually.

The glaring this is the omission of the start button. The start screen however is just a new version of the start menu. The first thing you see is the personalized side of things (like in XP, Vista, and 7 with your most frequently used programs) and then you click on All Apps, and poof there's everything that the old start menu had.

All the old stuff is still there, just presented in a new way. They left the desktop there, and compatibility with all your old drivers and programs. They made sure it was incremental...but still a big enough change in order to move forward.

A lot of people seem to think that things are gone. The only thing that is gone is the graphic for the start button...and the old start menu look. In it's place you now have a 'start corner' if you will...and a full screen start menu with more options and better customization. :)

I'm not saying your wrong at all, but I just think a 'gradual' progression may have been better?, but hey, that's me, and I don't really care for the start button anyway lol, I use a variety of OS's in my environment, so I'm unaffected really :)

feeling political? miss your start button? start a petition on care2 about it! Lawlz.

I really have nothing to say about that stupid comment, sorry.

#397 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 2,361 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:07

Mathworks could have simply built a launcher program to do what they've done in the start menu there.

That type of handling for their products is just lazy.

Yes, they should replace it with a Modern UI/Metro interface with lots of fancy effects, and super large tiles which show equation results. :laugh:

What MathWorks have done is great. It's called "keeping things organized", and compact. Everyone who uses MathWorks will learn that "Start" menu off by heart, and won't have to waste time scrolling across a full-screen tiled menu to access its many options.

#398 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,425 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:42

I really have nothing to say about that stupid comment, sorry.

well why did you even bother to reply? LOL

#399 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:53

Yes, they should replace it with a Modern UI/Metro interface with lots of fancy effects, and super large tiles which show equation results. :laugh:

What MathWorks have done is great. It's called "keeping things organized", and compact. Everyone who uses MathWorks will learn that "Start" menu off by heart, and won't have to waste time scrolling across a full-screen tiled menu to access its many options.

I said a launcher. I never said anything about Metro.

I used to use a ton of programs where instead of 50 start menu entries they had a single entry. It would pull up a launcher with all the programs selectable inside.

#400 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 2,361 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:50

I said a launcher. I never said anything about Metro.

I used to use a ton of programs where instead of 50 start menu entries they had a single entry. It would pull up a launcher with all the programs selectable inside.

Sorry about that - I misunderstood. I presume by launcher, you mean something like Backstage in Office 2010:

Posted Image

#401 iNoPhone

iNoPhone

Neowinian

• 10 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 00:37

These invisible menus are driving me crazy. Is there any way to disable them while I work? Is there a shortcut to them them off? This happens every time I close an application.

Well, you can use this registry tweak that makes the Charms Bar not appearing until you move the cursor down:

http://www.askvg.com...t-in-windows-8/

It was annoying for me too.

#402 DDStriker

DDStriker

Neowinian Senior

• 1,969 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:42

well why did you even bother to reply? LOL

To let you know that what you said was quite stupid and that he acknowledges your post there isn't much to contribute other than an acknowledgement of how stupid your comment was i guess?

#403 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,425 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:05

I sad that becuase too many people are all grrrr over it and seem to be political about the whole thing. since they're so political over it putting it on care2 a well known petition site would be a perfect fit for that kinda politically charged, passionate protest of the removal of the start menu. mabye in thier dreams microsoft would have a heart and listen to them if it was on care2 as well and provide an official SP to bring it back. this is the reasoning behind my post. hope that helps.

#404 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,189 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:22

A few nights ago I saw my competitor in walmart. I asked him about windows 8. He looks at me with this "Just ate pig **** look" ...he said he has had nobody want it. Which is funny, because I had someone bring in a new computer for data transfer on launch day with windows 8 and I've had a BUNCH of people acquire about it. Counting the launch day computer, i've set up about 3 windows 8 machines so far. He said "Every other version of windows sucks, why would that change now".

I'd bet you $100 that he hasn't even used windows 8 yet....at all... as in never once. I take that back... he sorta used it once.I went into his office to shoot the **** one day, and brought my Acer w500 tablet with the WIndows 8 RP on it. Though I think he tried it for 10 seconds then said meh. (I'm thinking computers is just a day job for him)

I'm warming up to windows 8. Still annoyed by a few things, but because the $40 upgrade is a really good price, I've upgraded 3 of my computers in my house to window 8. I want to live and breath it, so when the support calls roll in I know my ass from a hole in the ground.

#405 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:52

I'm warming up to windows 8. Still annoyed by a few things, but because the $40 upgrade is a really good price, I've upgraded 3 of my computers in my house to window 8. I want to live and breath it, so when the support calls roll in I know my ass from a hole in the ground.

Best reason in the world for anyone who has to support Windows. Whether we like it or not (and I do) millions of computers will have this version in the next year.