Avast! and Bsod error Windows 8 (river_irql_not_less_or_equal Ndis.sys)

After installing Windows 8, everything was working flawless until the good ol' I kept getting NDis error. Now after doing some research, a lot people were suggesting that NDIS.sys has something to with my NIC. I reinstalled the drivers from the manufacturer and even downgraded the driver but no luck.

After reading some microsoft support posts, some people are people are suggesting that after installing AVAST they started getting The BSOD error.Just wanted to see if any of you face similar obstacles in successfully running Win 8.

I just wanted to confirm that Avast was the problem for me. Windows 8 x64 with all updates (as of this post). I would get the ndis.sys BSOD very frequently (every 15-30 minutes). I started uninstalling things 1-by-1 and testing for awhile. Sure enough, as soon as Avast was gone, I haven't had a single BSOD yet. I have submit a support ticket to Avast regarding the issue.

I just wanted to confirm that Avast was the problem for me. Windows 8 x64 with all updates (as of this post). I would get the ndis.sys BSOD very frequently (every 15-30 minutes). I started uninstalling things 1-by-1 and testing for awhile. Sure enough, as soon as Avast was gone, I haven't had a single BSOD yet. I have submit a support ticket to Avast regarding the issue.

Thank you for confirming this. I too shall submit a support ticket. I will also contact microsoft tech support as well.

Why are you running that garbage to begin with? Windows 8 comes with an AV already.

Windows 8 comes with the equivalent of MSE. Which is my book is garbage. Even though 90% of the people on this site disagree with me.

Avast is bad it constantly crashed my mom's laptop that has 7 home premium 32 bit over and over and she's on eset now and she's much happier.

Windows 8 comes with the equivalent of MSE. Which is my book is garbage. Even though 90% of the people on this site disagree with me.

Well I'm part of the 10%. MSE's detection rates are sub-par compared to it's competition.

The best on the market right now is Nod32, hands down.

Edit: But when it comes to free AV, I'll take Avast over MSE any day.

Looks like Avast did better than MSE to me.

Not intending to arguing about effectiveness, wanted to add some real testing for AV information for comparison.

For Aug 2012 testing, Coranti (http://www.coranti.com/) seem to be the best atm - never heard of it before today.

Avast is bad it constantly crashed my mom's laptop that has 7 home premium 32 bit over and over and she's on eset now and she's much happier.

Tbh, I run Avast on my laptop and eset on my desktop. Never had any issues with Avast on the laptop but windows 8 does not seem to well with it. Eset to me is very light and does an okay job in terms of prevention. I wouldn't go as far saying esets the best AV though. in terms of MSE, I had bad experience with it and never really looked into installing it on any of my PCs.

AVG used to be good but it was very heavy on the resources. Eset seems to use very less system resources and that's one of the reasons why I would recommend it to a friend. At least in my books, Eset is better than Kas and nort.

PS. Can any of you guys read a minidump file? I just want to make sure that Avast is the only thing wrong with my setup. If you could provide a link that'd be great.

Hello,

Many anti-malware vendors are currently obtaining Windows 8 certification for their products. In the meantime, both AV-Comparatives and AV-Test are doing a good job of keeping track of which programs currently work with Windows 8:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/certifications-awards/windows-8-approval

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/

Hope this is of some use.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I had some initial BSODs when I installed Avast, but I fixed it by updating my nVidia driver by uninstalling it and downloading the newest one fresh from nVidia.com. Fixed the BSODs and I got a fully functional driver to boot (as in all the features from the NV Control Panel were there unlike before).