I am sick of the Windows 95 comparisons, Win 8 is far away from the glory o

So tired of the Win8 is bigger/just like Windows 95 talk from Microsoft.

Windows 8 is the anti-95.

Win32 programs didn't gave you the feeling that something is amiss compared to Win 3.1 applications. (with Metro you have this feeling constantly). Even the first generation Win95 programs at launch felt more capable than their 3.1 precursors (Corel Draw 6, Office 95). Notro provides the complete opposite feeling.

Windows 95 came with uncrippled winfile.exe and progman.exe (the win 3.1 GUI), and you were able to boot directly into it without even seeing 95's explorer.exe at all ("shell=progman.exe" in system.ini). (works in win 98 too) There was even an official option at the Windows 95 setup for that if you upgraded from Win3.1.

You also were able to directly boot into DOS with ease (just set bootgui=0 in msdos.sys, that also worked in Win 98)

Windows 95 is the anti-thesis to Windows 8. The philosophies were completely different. The team had enough courage to provide all these options because it truly seemed as if they were proud and confident about the system to stand on its own. Windows 8 on the other hand comes across as coward's darling - "the users are too stupid to appreciate our beautiful hippster GUI, let's cripple the desktop as much as we can to force them to this". Windows 95 didn't need any crippling, users have chosen explorer.exe because it was better, and they had the ability to use the old GUI without compromise If they wished to do so.

Windows 95 is confidence. Windows 8 is cowardice.

They're just trying to sell their product, that's all. It's just prose and marketing to feed the media and fuel attention to their product. Same as Apple does.

You might as well compare Windows 8 and BeOS or something because that's how alien Windows 95 is to the latest MS OS.

If you ask me here is the comparison. that is relivent to the Windows 95

And you also have to remember I have ran all of them

Win 286/386 Tree Maps (and 1.0/2.0)

Win 3.1 had -- "Windows with Icons on the Desktop"

then came Win95

People said

"Oh no how will I find the programs if they are not on the desktop-"

Microsoft said - In the start menu of-course

98/ME/2k/XP/ Start menu

Vista\7 all continued with the start menu Other than adding gadgets

Now with Windows 8

People say "where can I find my programs if they are not in the start menu?"

We have almost come full circle where the Icon's have returned to the desktop in one big window that scrolls except now they are called tiles and are active which replaced the gadgets" They basically combined Icons+ functions of a gadget = Tile .

Now that is a comparison to Win95 where people say it changes what people were used to- Which is exactly what Windows 8 does

What next this?

Download-Free-Circle-Dock-0-9-2-Alpha-8-1-for-XP-and-Vista-2.jpg

If you ask me here is the comparison. that is relivent to the Windows 95

And you also have to remember I have ran all of them

Win 286/386 Tree Maps (and 1.0/2.0)

Win 3.1 had -- "Windows with Icons on the Desktop"

then came Win95

People said

"Oh no how will I find the programs if they are not on the desktop-"

Microsoft said - In the start menu of-course

98/ME/2k/XP/ Start menu

Vista\7 all continued with the start menu Other than adding gadgets

Now with Windows 8

People say "where can I find my programs if they are not in the start menu?"

We have almost come full circle where the Icon's have returned to the desktop in one big window that scrolls except now they are called tiles and are active which replaced the gadgets" They basically combined Icons+ functions of a gadget = Tile .

Now that is a comparison to Win95 where people say it changes what people were used to- Which is exactly what Windows 8 does

What next this?

Download-Free-Circle-Dock-0-9-2-Alpha-8-1-for-XP-and-Vista-2.jpg

thats for reminder, i actually do like gadgets in vista and 7. simple app that can be placed on a desktop, can show critial information, like weather, CPU usage, network usage etc.. doesn't take much space. always there, don't have to open any stupid start screen to get to it, always accessible.

i know MS clains there were removed for security reason, they should have fixed the security hole, instead of removing a functionality.

The fact is, there is nothing wrong with win8, as soon as Classic Shell is added. It then becomes a fine replacement for win7. It is the metro nonsense that is an epic fail. It is noteworthy that ms hedged their bets by leaving the ability to go back to full desktop. Win9 will surely see a built in option to choose.....

• Like 3

The fact is, there is nothing wrong with win8, as soon as Classic Shell is added. It then becomes a fine replacement for win7. It is the metro nonsense that is an epic fail. It is noteworthy that ms hedged their bets by leaving the ability to go back to full desktop. Win9 will surely see a built in option to choose.....

using server 2012 with start8 and it usuable. boot to desktop, have a normal start menu, doesn't take entire screen, its faster to use. and on rare occiasion if i want to use metro i can launch it from start menu.

what is weird that most non-microsoft metro apps will launch, while a lot of MS made metro apps will not start.

Faulting application name: Solitaire.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x504e83e4

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010ac2f

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x00014b32

Faulting process id: 0xda0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdab34ed2cc5a2

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_1.0.0.3_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Solitaire.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 2c31a7c6-1728-11e2-93f3-00044b1655f6

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_1.0.0.3_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Really don't see the comparison with Win95 unless in broad strokes you are talking about the total shift (win3.x to win95 and win7 to win8).

I've played with win8, have RTM loaded on one of my computers and now toying with switching it back to win7.

Really don't like win8 and I don't think a lot of enterprises will like it either.

Really don't see the comparison with Win95 unless in broad strokes you are talking about the total shift (win3.x to win95 and win7 to win8).

I've played with win8, have RTM loaded on one of my computers and now toying with switching it back to win7.

Really don't like win8 and I don't think a lot of enterprises will like it either.

windows 8 might be the best reason to buy windows 7.

• Like 2

Windows 8, makin' your desktop PC work like a Zune...

i liked the Zune

if it weren't for the lack of marketing and developers making apps, the Zune probably could have easily crushed the iPod classic/touch

I can kind of see why it's compared to Windows 95. Both were big changes to the UI.

The only people who are cowards here are the one's not giving it a fair chance.

Really? Wow! Then what do you call the people who use the logo of a company's product as their avatar, and rush to defend said product at every turn?

all i say is this !!

windows 8 vs windows 7

8 is way faster than 7

7 has a start menu 8 doesn't

8 has a desktop or metro i don't use metro because i use the desktop 90%of the time

<snipped>

8 looks like the 360 which 10000 own so for us no big change

last if u hate 8 stay with 7 and please stop all the hating posts about 8 please all the fn time theres like thousands