iPad 4 Jailbreak is Illegal in USA

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:43

So did the ruling in effect make jailbreaking tools that target the ipad illegal? Or is it just the act of jailbreaking?

#17 Nightwind Hawk

Nightwind Hawk

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:45

Maybe Apple is jealous over RIAA.... wants to compete in number of lawsuits!! :rofl:

#18 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:47

It's your device, do what you want with it.

I wish that's how it works. We may be able to purchase hard drives and flash drives, but current laws dictate that we technically do not own them. We are not allowed to configure the bits in copyrighted patterns unless authorized to do so. Private property rights are pretty much non-existent in modern society.

#19 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:49

So since I bought my car I should be able to run red lights and stop signs and occasionally run people over. Who cares about laws, I paid for the car so I can do what I want with it.

not the same but you should be able to tweak the engine, change the tires and put better parts or software in the car.

#20 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:50

Tsch. I know a good amount of users that do jailbreak their iOS devices, and I believe they'll be kind of disappointed to hear this news. I know this won't stop from Jailbreaking them but this will dwindle the amount of hacks craved to the devices. Which makes me sad :(. I thought on buying a new iPod (on the next year or 2... when I have enough $$$) to replace my 2G, but not jailbreaking it is the same as saying goodbye to Activator, RemoveBG, Backgrounder, MXTube, iFile, custom themes, MXTube, Black Keyboard, SB Rotator, SBSettings, and much more.... Which makes (at least for me) iOS very attractive and useful.

#21 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:53

Guess I am going to jail. . . :woot:

#22 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:53

So since I bought my car I should be able to run red lights and stop signs and occasionally run people over. Who cares about laws, I paid for the car so I can do what I want with it.

What the...

#23 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:59

It's your device, do what you want with it.

It seems to me that legally, you are correct. However, it doesn't apply to the person who releases the jailbreak... they are the ones subject to the DMCA and will receive the DMCA takedown notice.

I wish that's how it works. We may be able to purchase hard drives and flash drives, but current laws dictate that we technically do not own them. We are not allowed to configure the bits in copyrighted patterns unless authorized to do so. Private property rights are pretty much non-existent in modern society.

No, you can configure the bits in copyrighted patterns all you want. You can't distribute those copyrighted patterns or modified copyrighted patterns.

#24 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:19

You suck at analogies.

Anyway, if you do get jailed for jail-breaking, just break out of jail.....

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 October 2012 - 00:54

Just another good reason not to buy from Apple for me. I'll stick with Android.

#26 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2012 - 00:55

that's completely different, this is like GM saying you can't modify the car after you bought it

#27 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:08

It seems to me that legally, you are correct. However, it doesn't apply to the person who releases the jailbreak... they are the ones subject to the DMCA and will receive the MCA takedown notice.

What about previous contributors that contributed code to the iOS JB community back when JB was ok, and that code gets reused to JB iPad 4?

#28 spedanden

spedanden

Spedanden was his name-o

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:27

Doesn't matter if its legal or illegal, i will still continue doing it.

Posted Image

It's funny how people think they are entitled to things these days. The first response here mentions "a simple series of mouse clicks is all that stands between you and incarceration". Well a simple pull of a trigger of a gun pointed at another human is all that stands between the same outcome. Doesn't matter how small the action is, its what the action is, that counts.

Hacking/cracking software or hardware against the intent of the design is illegal if they don't want you doing it. You buy the product with terms attached that you WONT do it (Unauthorized modification of your iPhone software violates the software license agreement.).

Stealing software is illegal. Stealing music is illegal. I'm gonna laugh at the response of all the 'entitled' when that blanket of privacy on the internet gets lifted and the hammer starts coming down.

"But everyone else does it!"

It's kind of a sad state of affairs these days. Get a job and buy stuff. Want customization on a phone? Buy an android.

Meh... whatever. Deaf ears.

#29 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:41

Well a simple pull of a trigger of a gun pointed at another human is all that stands between the same outcome.

Is this crap-analogy syndrome infectious, or what?

#30 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:43

Posted Image

It's funny how people think they are entitled to things these days. The first response here mentions "a simple series of mouse clicks is all that stands between you and incarceration". Well a simple pull of a trigger of a gun pointed at another human is all that stands between the same outcome. Doesn't matter how small the action is, its what the action is, that counts.

Hacking/cracking software or hardware against the intent of the design is illegal if they don't want you doing it. You buy the product with terms attached that you WONT do it (Unauthorized modification of your iPhone software violates the software license agreement.).

Stealing software is illegal. Stealing music is illegal. I'm gonna laugh at the response of all the 'entitled' when that blanket of privacy on the internet gets lifted and the hammer starts coming down.

"But everyone else does it!"

It's kind of a sad state of affairs these days. Get a job and buy stuff. Want customization on a phone? Buy an android.

Meh... whatever. Deaf ears.

People get a job and pay for their hardware. If they want to run a call-recording app, or be able to swipe up the phone to launch settings, or re-install google maps app - they should be allowed to do that in my books.
People really confuse 'jailbreaking' a device with stealing software. If you 'jailbreak' you cannot just go click and download every game for free from the app store. You need to install more patches and find cracked copies of every app & app update - just like you would on a computer. Im not saying thats incredibly hard or confusing, but you need to do it. Apple can easily shut down piracy and prevent pirated/cracked copies from running, but choose not to.