I took a video this past Saturday of Ernie Hudson talking about Ghostbusters 3.  

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=678932871659

With Hudson's response, the script's 25 years of development hell, and Ramis' passing, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony abandoned a third film all together and did a reboot from scratch instead. Sort of like Spider-man.

Also, this 

Ernie on Harold's passing

?There can?t be another ?Ghostbusters? without Harold. There can be another ?Ghost?-something,? Hudson added. ?That was always my fear, was that something would happen before we all got together.?

http://www.thewrap.com/harold-ramis-ghostbusters-ernie+hudson 

They could possibly cameo Remis as a CGI ghost, some plot device such as a guardian angel for the new team or something.

may be wrong here, but I believe his family would have to give them permission to use his likeness in anything like that.

Personally, I'd rather they write it in that Egon died heroically fighting for the citizens of NYC and the rest of the team decide it is time retire themselves and begin a new chapter with new characters.

Sorry, but this already sounds like a bust. Hollywood is largely miss when it comes to making sequels not starring the original cast.

They need to somehow kill Egon off. Maybe they'll say he's settled down and retired from Ghostbusting. This really bums me out, but the fact that there is movement for GB3, I am happy about. I also hope Murray realize that he should at least make a cameo with Aykroyd in the movie. That will be that.

At this point, the studio would just reboot it, a "sequel" doesn't seem like it can happen.  Sure it wouldn't be the same but man, I just don't see how the 3 remaining, and Murry just doesn't want to do it, can pull it off.   They'll have some limited involvement and a passing of the torch I'm sure to some new cast but at this point who knows?

I mean look at what they did with 21 Jump Street, it's a semi-sequel reboot in that it doesn't negate the fact the original tv show happened but at the same time brings in new characters and does a good job of it.