14 posts in this topic

Posted

Angry residents pelted utility crews with eggs as they tried to restore power in Bridgeport, Conn., after the mayor claimed the local power company had "shortchanged" the state's largest city as it tries to recover from superstorm Sandy.

United Illuminating workers reported eggs and other objects being thrown at them a day after Mayor Bill Finch said the utility was taking care of wealthy suburbs while his constituents suffered. The unrest caused United Illuminating to pull its workers out until the city agreed to provide police protection.

"Citizens began throwing things at the crews," Michael West, a spokesman for United Illuminating, told FoxNews.com. "It started to get pretty hairy. They did not feel safe."

West said it started with verbal abuse and escalated.

"We communicated with the city and said if you don

Posted

Of course the Wealthy districts were done first, who do you think pays the higher electrical bills? Most likely wealthy people. If you think people should be equal then you are clearly a communist and should leave America. /s

Posted

Of course the Wealthy districts were done first, who do you think pays the higher electrical bills? Most likely wealthy people. If you think people should be equal then you are clearly a communist and should leave America. /s

That's not how it's done here. Some of the poorest sections of New Jersey were powered up before parts of somerset county. Pseg company was doing it based on population and customer base.

Posted

that is NOT how power goes up...

in the case of electric, transmissions get #1 priority after that branch lines going to substations get #2 priority, and you work your way out from there... wealth has nothing to do with electric, you could have one substation feeding millionairs and section 8 housing all from the same lines...

1 person likes this

Posted

That's not how it's done here. Some of the poorest sections of New Jersey were powered up before parts of somerset county. Pseg company was doing it based on population and customer base.

that is NOT how power goes up...

in the case of electric, transmissions get #1 priority after that branch lines going to substations get #2 priority, and you work your way out from there... wealth has nothing to do with electric, you could have one substation feeding millionairs and section 8 housing all from the same lines...

You guys missed the "Sarcasm" end of my post. I was being sarcastic.

Posted

I hope they were union eggs.

2 people like this

Posted

You guys missed the "Sarcasm" end of my post. I was being sarcastic.

didn't miss it, just pointing out that is not how they do it

Posted

Like it's the workers fault for all this. If I were in charge of the power company, I wouldn't have any of my workers there after eggs being thrown at them.

I wouldn't restore power until the mayor and the town apologizes. Then on next Mayoral election I would make a significant donation a to the mayor's rival candidates campaign.

2 people like this

Posted

Seems counterproductive (and stupid) to make it harder for people to restore your power because you're mad about... not having power.

4 people like this

Posted

This supports something I read the other night that said something to the effect that people have become so dependent on electricity they actually start to show symptoms of mental breakdown after they are without it for more than 72 hours.

Posted

This supports something I read the other night that said something to the effect that people have become so dependent on electricity they actually start to show symptoms of mental breakdown after they are without it for more than 72 hours.

It's more of the ghetto thinking they're entitled to anything, that and the Mayor being an obvious idiot

Posted

Maybe the power crews should walk away and let them stay without power for a few days. They may have a different attitude then.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah the residents should be serving them eggs and bacon, not throwing! :rofl:

2 people like this

Posted

Throwing eggs at em is not gonna make em fix it faster!