XP random reboots

i also had dat problem b4.....but dat was cuz i had win2000 drivers installed.......

make sure ALL ur drivers are winxp and not any other!!

cuz after i installed winxp drivers the problem stoped!!

if you have it set to where it automatically reboots upon a critical error instead of showing a bluescreen of death then that'll happen

You arent the first to have this problem. In fact, it is a very common problem but it seems no one (MS doesnt help much either :) has a specific solution (my brother had this problem too)

if you have edonkey installed and leave it running/download/uploading, then this will cause the computer to restart, well it crashes the computer first (bsod) and if you have the setting which restarts the computer every time a bsod comes up then your computer will restart, there are a couple of fixes for this though, the one i use is to, create an extra hardware profile disabling the sound blaster drivers and thats it.....

Restarting Windows XP - (Posted Date: January 16, 2002)

Download size: 184 KB

This update resolves a shutdown issue and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article 307274. In Windows XP, if you click Restart in the Shut Down dialog box, Windows XP can stop responding. You might encounter this problem if you shut down and restart many times in succession. Download now to fix this shutdown issue. Read More...

definitely not the same thing. I'm getting random reboots here too. but I've traced it to the voodoo drivers for my vid. card (artifacts and random lines, and random refresh rate changes leaving my screen in snow) sitting on an error on my hard drive. can't fix the error though. :/

I get this error when I log in after it restarts

BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 804DB70D BCP3 : FAFAFC10

BCP4 : FAFAF910 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 256_1

and it only happens when I play any game I have.

It is really starting to get annoying.

I am wanting to build a new computer. grr.

It is most likley the drivers. I have had troubles with this Radeon 7200 since I got it, I have Uriel drivers. and yea where can I get updated Uriel drivers? But I think it might also be a motherboard issue, cause my motherboard is about 5 years old and my graphics card is like not even a year so....

but all was well for a while, now the problem is back again... so I don know whats goin on.

didnt read all the replys so...

random reboots are happening because the default setting in XP is to reboot when it gets a critical error (you can turn it off to get a blue screen if you'd like...either way not good) i was getting a bunch of reboots at one point...one so bad that i could not get back into the partition because of all the errors after rebotting and had to redo system. believe it or not the root of all my probs was blackice's firewall program. on ms's site it says that firewall also can cause IRQ NoT EQUAL OR LESS errors which are one of the errors that can cause those random reboots. the second i got rid of it my headaches went away. no more crashes for me :)

Mine has seem to be ok now since I have installed WIN2000_XP_23.12 drivers it now doesn't crash when im playing RTCW :D Yeah!!!! but it now and again it freezes while im just using it e.g internet , mail, dreamweaver lol :( i might try the new drivers that are for the geforce 4 and see if they are any better. how are u guys getting on ??? :alien:

I have never had this problem , Until last night :)

I was so ****ed, couldn;t even reinstall, BLah BLah BLah...

but, it is now FIXED.....

Traced it to a Memory chip in the Machine

I am running a Intel845BG DDR board....

One of the Chips went bad (maybe not bad, but flaky).....

When I pulled it out, everything ran fine, replaced the known good one with the bad one, same problems all over.....

I do not, nor have I ever overl****ed anything in this machine, so you may want to try removing one of your RAM chips, and seeing if one of them may be bad....

XP is VERY picky about memory for some reason now had the same problem on a SDRAM board and Celeron 900, where everything was getting corrupt, wound up being a SDRAMm chip, replace dit and everything was fine......

Seems odd that is it so AN^L about the memory, but that would be the first place I would check now......