13 posts in this topic

Posted

A prominent astrophysicist has pinned down a real location for Superman's fictional home planet of Krypton.

Krypton is found 27.1 light-years from Earth, in the southern constellation Corvus (The Crow), says Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the American Museum of Natural History's Hayden Planetarium in New York City. The planet orbits the red dwarf star LHS 2520, which is cooler and smaller than our sun.

Tyson performed the celestial sleuthing at the request of DC Comics, which wanted to run a story about Superman's search for his home planet.

The new book

Posted

Someone takes comics a little too seriously.

2 people like this

Posted

Ok so if Krypton was destroyed, and Superman was launched from it just before then... and the planet is only 27.1 light years from earth... then someone didn't think this through very well... uber-nerds and comic people are the first ones I wouldn't try to place this story in front of..

Posted

Some of us actually grow up from them, what would you expect? what would be I withouth rurouni kenshin or rozen maiden? :D

Posted

I thought Krypton was in another galaxy ... oh well.

Posted

Well, I was about to dismiss the news as worthless until I read the name "Neil deGrasse Tyson". Now I think I should buy that comic, even if I don't usually purchase Superman (or DC) comics, that's it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I thought Krypton was in another galaxy ... oh well.

Well, according to the 1978 movie it is, because you see his travel from Krypton.

Although, I liked the comic that had Earth eventually turn into Krypton in the future with the sun being a red dwarf, and that Kal-El was actually sent back in time.

Posted

Ok so if Krypton was destroyed, and Superman was launched from it just before then... and the planet is only 27.1 light years from earth... then someone didn't think this through very well...

Those are the coordinates for the parent star, not the supposed planet. If you go searching for the planet, you probably won't find it.

Posted

Those are the coordinates for the parent star, not the supposed planet. If you go searching for the planet, you probably won't find it.

because it was destroyed! :laugh:

Posted

Kal-El is 'super' because his body has much greater density than ordinary humans.

And such Realities do exist in the Universe.

But his alien-ness would be revealed when he stepped on a scale -- his weight would be much greater than us. ;)

Posted

HUM, I thought I see Superman flying out of that signature of yours.

Posted

HUM, I thought I see Superman flying out of that signature of yours.

Don't give him ideas!

Posted

Someone takes comics a little too seriously.

Are you mad?

You can't take comics too seriously. :|

Now, I'm not much of a Superman fan, but damn... comics, manga and the other things often mistaken as child stuff deserve to be taken seriously 24/7.

Well, I was about to dismiss the news as worthless until I read the name "Neil deGrasse Tyson". Now I think I should buy that comic, even if I don't usually purchase Superman (or DC) comics, that's it.

Yeah, same here.

I don't give a flying cr...carpet about Superman, but this might be interesting to have.

If not just for the specialty factor.

Probably a good item to have in any comic collection a couple of years down the road.

Glassed Silver:mac