Photo

Me.ga Suspended, Dotcom Says "We Have Alternative Domain"

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 15:56

Kim Dotcom’s plan of launching a “bigger, better, faster, stronger, safer” Megaupload successor, Mega, is already in peril as Gabon's government has suspended the domain www.me.ga.

Announcing his decision, Gabon’s Communication Minister Blaise Louembe said "I have instructed my departments...to immediately suspend the site www.me.ga" in a bid to "protect intellectual property rights" and "fight cyber crime effectively" notes AFP.

"Gabon cannot serve as a platform or screen for committing acts aimed at violating copyrights, nor be used by unscrupulous people," the minister added.

Dotcom unveiled his plans of using the me.ga domain name last week along with an announcement that the new site will be launching on January 20, 2013. Louembe revealed that me.ga was being held by someone in France and that it was then transferred to Dotcom. Currently the domain is getting redirected to some twitter account.

Dotcom didn’t stay silent following the suspension and has tweeted that he is in possession on an alternative domain name and that the recent suspension “demonstrates the bad faith witch hunt the US government is on.”

http://paritynews.co...ernative-domain

#2 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 16:03

Announcing his decision, Gabon’s Communication Minister Blaise Louembe said "I have instructed my departments...to immediately suspend the site www.me.ga" in a bid to "protect intellectual property rights" and "fight cyber crime effectively" notes AFP.

Good Sir, what you did should be illegal.
You basically put punishment before conviction or the actual crime even.

Quite frankly, I think he's just being a lapdog here, but really, man...
What a jerk.

Glassed Silver:mac

#3 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 16:06

What a jerk.

To revoke a domain name which they have the right to should be illegal?

#4 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 121,971 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 07 November 2012 - 16:07

I did wonder how long it would last

#5 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,517 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 16:30

I think you might find that the US trade embargo on a country like Gagon would be straight up impossible for them to weather.

Life is hard enough in Africa without ****ing off the people providing your country aid.

They had no choice :\

#6 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 16:33

It was mostly a stinger.
But in reality, it's basically attempting censorship, at least that's the motivation.
Of course you can't prosecute them for that.

#7 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 16:36

Why should it be ok to revoke a name just because the owner is in court and wants to restart a business? Im pretty sure there are alot worse websites out there with much worse names that are ok and the US do not bother with.

#8 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 16:41

Why should it be ok to revoke a name just because the owner is in court and wants to restart a business? Im pretty sure there are alot worse websites out there with much worse names that are ok and the US do not bother with.

The Gabon government think he'll violate copyright law with the domain and so they've revoked it. The US does this sort of thing all the time.

It's a little peculiar that the telecom that revoked the domain is owned by the Vivendi entertainment group but still..

#9 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:15

The Gabon government think he'll violate copyright law with the domain and so they've revoked it. The US does this sort of thing all the time.

It's a little peculiar that the telecom that revoked the domain is owned by the Vivendi entertainment group but still..

America thinks its easy to manage a file hosting site and say every filehosting website is bad and used for copyrighted material even though there are legit people using it for personal and for work, we all read the stories that said many legit companies used megaupload and even some US government agencies did too. Yet because "some" used it for copyrighted material then they must be shut down and even then America didnt do it legally did they, so they are just as bad for not following the rules themself's.

If america think its so easy to manage a filehosting website with everyone in the world using it then, please let them try and i shall laugh when they fail they have enough trouble trying to deal with the people in there own country yet say filehosters should be able to manage the world? Sorry but thats an impossible task and america should sort out there own more dangerous criminals before going for the easy ones that are over seas because thats all they are doing in there fight against piracy going for the easy ones they have addresses for. Dotcom is just a filehoster, where are all the people that are uploading the files? Oh yes they are still at there home wherever they are in the world STILL uploading copyrighted material onto other websites so what have america achieved? One less file hoster in the world, but the pirating is still going on adn will continue because we have the internet with many means of sharing information.

#10 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:28

What a jerk.

it wasn't really a punishment cause it was clear what he was planning to do with it

It was mostly a stinger.
But in reality, it's basically attempting censorship, at least that's the motivation.
Of course you can't prosecute them for that.

and it wasn't really censorship either.

#11 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,079 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:38

it wasn't really a punishment cause it was clear what he was planning to do with it

Y'know... Filelocker sites aren't illegal, so what does it matter that he was going to open another one? He's not responsible for what people might upload to it. He just has to take down content when its reported and verified as illegal.

#12 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:42

Y'know... Filelocker sites aren't illegal, so what does it matter that he was going to open another one? He's not responsible for what people might upload to it. He just has to take down content when its reported and verified as illegal.

But the thing was he knew fine well what people were using his last filelocker site for and he did very little to stop it and in fact i think he even encouraged it at some point.

#13 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,377 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:52

This guy quickly became boring, i had to unfollow him on Twitter because of his constant ramblings about the US... he is a complete show boater, i had to laugh when they suspended his domain.

#14 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,079 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05

But the thing was he knew fine well what people were using his last filelocker site for and he did very little to stop it and in fact i think he even encouraged it at some point.

Only alleged, by the RIAA/MPAA and the government agencies they own. Who had to use illegal methods to shut him down, because they can't prove it.

So really, there's no actual hard evidence he really did any of that. It's just a witch hunt.

#15 Northgrove

Northgrove

Philosophizing Developer

• 9,963 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:13

I think it's pretty horrible how they could suspend the domain even before the launch. Suspend on legal grounds, not because of Megaupload, which is a case that hasn't even seen a resolution yet.