C# compilers, linux

Question

14 answers to this question

Another possible alternative is DotGNU, although as far as I'm aware, DotGNU is much less feature-complete than Mono.

If it doesn't work on Mono, you're probably out of luck. The program likely has dependencies on Windows-specific libraries :(

I agree with CentralDogma, I don't know any other realistic option besides mono. But it's not completely compatible with ms .NET it's always some features behind. Especially if you go outside the core language/framework features. Show the error, we might be able to help you

im having problems with the windows forms :/

What problems? Btw even though there's an implementation of Windows Forms in Mono, it kinda sucks and it isn't what you should be using if you want a good-looking application on Linux. GTK# is a popular choice there.

What problems? Btw even though there's an implementation of Windows Forms in Mono, it kinda sucks and it isn't what you should be using if you want a good-looking application on Linux. GTK# is a popular choice there.

oh this is just for uni work it can be as ugly as my hairy backside as long as it has the forms lol just its annoying i have to set up some sort of WINE thing apprently or what ever and my god i half got it to work tried to run a version and it cried

oh this is just for uni work it can be as ugly as my hairy backside as long as it has the forms lol just its annoying i have to set up some sort of WINE thing apprently or what ever and my god i half got it to work tried to run a version and it cried

Not sure what you are doing. I recompiled a bunch of my C# apps (written on windows with visual studio 2010) in linux under mono. There was a couple issues (more with dynamic forms), but for the most part it worked no problem.

Use the built in GTK style forms if you want to do something fresh. Otherwise just make the form look nice in Windows, copy the code over, recompile and it should be good. That's what I did, and it worked fine. Didn't have to do WINE anything. Just ran the app via cli as: mono <myfile>

I had to write a program in C# for personal use, so I decided to run it in mono on Arch (with 0 modifications) here's the result to show I am not talking out of my behind :

unKaQ.jpg

this is running on a dual monitor, so both are open at the same time. Yes theres a coupel visual differences, but yea.. 100% winforms no GTK.

Naughty naughty, I know what amtlib.dll is for ;) ...I also know why you made that program, lots and lots of directories to copy it to.

Gotta do whatcha gotta do :p