9 posts in this topic

Posted

ANCHORAGE, Alaska

Posted

ok im obviously missing something ... I must be misunderstanding... so its methane... in ice... so you wont need methane ? or did I misread that

Posted

^ It's methane hydrate -- which apparently burns hotter, and is easier to get at in ice, as opposed to drilling deep underground for it.

And methane in ice, won't suddenly explode as underground methane can, under the right conditions.

Posted

^ It's methane hydrate -- which apparently burns hotter, and is easier to get at in ice, as opposed to drilling deep underground for it.

And methane in ice, won't suddenly explode as underground methane can, under the right conditions.

ahh ok (Y) got ya ... even still... I can see the benefits but still is not a solution to fossil fuels

Posted

Why don't we just use Hydrogen? The most abundant element in the universe.

Posted

ahh ok (Y) got ya ... even still... I can see the benefits but still is not a solution to fossil fuels

Agreed. We really don't need gases and oil. But we need the will to break free from the tired old beliefs that keep us attached to these energy sources.

We could -- but hydrogen is more difficult to produce, handle, and dangerous.

Posted

This was what the Ice Road truckers in season two were moving the Rig for.

The truckers have delivered the fragile 135-foot derrick to the new MGM exploration site, but before it can be erected, they must also transport the 80-ton substructure that will form its base. At 160,000 pounds, the base must be broken into separate loads, the combined weight of which makes them the heaviest--and most dangerous--loads the ice will face all season. Veteran trucker Bear Swenson and Arctic Ice Road rookie Alex Debogorski are entrusted with the challenge. This is the heaviest load of Alex's ice road career. Compounded by on-going and increasing health problems, the pressure on this trucker is rising fast.

TVPG L

APA Style

16 - Hundred Ton Haul. (2012). The History Channel website. Retrieved 6:49, November 11, 2012, from http://www.history.com/shows/ice-road-truckers/episodes/ice-road-truckers-season-2-episodes.

Posted

"If you wait until you need it, and then you have 20 years of research to do, that's not a good plan," said Ray Boswell, technology manager for methane hydrates within the DOE's National Energy Technology Laboratory.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Posted

Just what we need a bunch of little Hydrogen bombs driving around.