Photo

920 is an amazing phone!

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#91 phunkymunky

phunkymunky

Neowinian

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:03

I'm absolutely loving the camera on the 920, the detail this thing manages to pick up is amazing!

The LTE speeds are impressive too, I'm with Telstra and this thing is phenomenally quick.

#92 Crazysah

Crazysah

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:39

Yeah, the only difference the AT&T version has is that it specifically supports it's own LTE band. The 920 you linked for example will work on all 3 of the carriers in my country which use the same GSM network etc. Looking at it it's a quad-band GSM device + LTE.

So no indication of it coming to any other carriers in the USA? Hopefully T-Mobile.

Also over at http://www.nokia.com...specifications/ - it lists the LTE band as 1700 which I believe is T-Mobile's. So what's the deal?

#93 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:57

I'm absolutely loving the camera on the 920, the detail this thing manages to pick up is amazing!

The LTE speeds are impressive too, I'm with Telstra and this thing is phenomenally quick.

I've been having problems MMS'ing images taken with the phone. I need to crop them quite brutally before they'll send.

#94 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:42

You realize you just compared a phone with a 3100mAh battery with one that has a 2000mAh battery and stated that the phone with the 38% larger battery beat out the one with a smaller battery by around 40%? Uh..?

Also, just because some people are having issues with battery life doesn't mean everyone is. My brother didn't, but his wife did. Once she uninstalled Battery Level, her battery issues disappeared. But, every phone has issues. Do a search for Galaxy Note 2 issues and you'll see what I mean.

Not trying to be an arse here. Just pointing out the obvious.

You are right but even though my Note 2 battery is larger, you have to remember my phone is larger as well, therefore the unit will drain just as much power as any other. Putting a 2100 battery on a Note 2 would be suicide. The screen and CPU is simply too much for a battery that size.

Maybe because it has 4 cores instead of 2 it saves more power because there isn't much stress and therefore it requires less to do its thing? I don't know.

#95 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:25

So no indication of it coming to any other carriers in the USA? Hopefully T-Mobile.

Also over at http://www.nokia.com...specifications/ - it lists the LTE band as 1700 which I believe is T-Mobile's. So what's the deal?

AT&T has it's exclusive 920 deal going for, probably, 6 months max. I expect other carriers will get it, or a updated version like a 922 but I dunno when. If the bands it already supports is what your carrier uses though, as long as it's unlocked it should just work once you put your sim card in it. The same should be the case for LTE.

#96 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:38

Ordered a red one yesterday. I'm moving over as an avid Android fan, and know I'm going to love it. The hardware makes learning and seeing how great the OS really is nice and easy. Hope I get it this week, at worst next week. Nokia is apparently not giving Telstra heaps of units to ship for some reason, but most don't have it available.

The AT&T one will work on the 1700 network so long as they are allowing it to be unlocked for your SIM.

There are two versions of the phone. RM-820 have LTE bands: 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600.

RM-821 have LTE bands:
700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 210 which is the AT&T version.

#97 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:23

I am sure that a company such a Seidio, Mophie or Mugen will come up with some kind of extended battery case for it.

Nokia Lumia 920 goes through our battery tests, here’s how it did

http://blog.gsmarena...res-how-it-did/

#98 Crazysah

Crazysah

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:01

Ordered a red one yesterday. I'm moving over as an avid Android fan, and know I'm going to love it. The hardware makes learning and seeing how great the OS really is nice and easy. Hope I get it this week, at worst next week. Nokia is apparently not giving Telstra heaps of units to ship for some reason, but most don't have it available.

The AT&T one will work on the 1700 network so long as they are allowing it to be unlocked for your SIM.

There are two versions of the phone. RM-820 have LTE bands: 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600.

RM-821 have LTE bands:
700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 210 which is the AT&T version.

The At&t version comes unlocked for $450 but is it unlocked just to use on At&t prepaid or unlocked for all?

#99 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 10 December 2012 - 21:17

The At&t version comes unlocked for $450 but is it unlocked just to use on At&t prepaid or unlocked for all?

no, that's still locked, that's just the price to buy it without a contract

#100 Crazysah

Crazysah

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:29

no, that's still locked, that's just the price to buy it without a contract

Why would anyone want to do that then?

#101 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:12

I cancelled my order today.

I have owned no less than 10 Nokia devices in my life and this is bull****. They came to market quite a while after other big phones, and they took their sweet time giving us prices. In that time they should have been producing thousands of these things. I know 15 people with orders. 2 people have them.

Nokia can now go to hell.

1. Exclusive with a provider
2. No stock ****ing anywhere

They can get stuffed, I hope the ******** go bankrupt.

#102 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:30

I cancelled my order today.

I have owned no less than 10 Nokia devices in my life and this is bull****. They came to market quite a while after other big phones, and they took their sweet time giving us prices. In that time they should have been producing thousands of these things. I know 15 people with orders. 2 people have them.

Nokia can now go to hell.

1. Exclusive with a provider
2. No stock ****ing anywhere

They can get stuffed, I hope the ******** go bankrupt.

The stock situation has been terrible but it is possible to get unlocked phones in Australia (some company called Mobicity or something similar were taking pre-orders). I don't know how true this is but I read somewhere that Nokia are increasing production and the phone should be available in greater numbers over the next couple of weeks. Also, the exclusivity deals are due to end in January.

It would be interesting to know why Nokia have messed up the production levels of this phone so badly. It was clearly going to be a popular phone judging by all the publicity and discussion it generated when it was first announced. They also had exclusivity deals in a number of countries that should have included sales targets and therefore would have given them an idea of the number of phones needed. Despite all that, even the companies that were authorised to sell the phones have struggled to keep up with demand.

#103 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:37

The stock situation has been terrible but it is possible to get unlocked phones in Australia (some company called Mobicity or something similar were taking pre-orders). I don't know how true this is but I read somewhere that Nokia are increasing production and the phone should be available in greater numbers over the next couple of weeks. Also, the exclusivity deals are due to end in January.

It would be interesting to know why Nokia have messed up the production levels of this phone so badly. It was clearly going to be a popular phone judging by all the publicity and discussion it generated when it was first announced. They also had exclusivity deals in a number of countries that should have included sales targets and therefore would have given them an idea of the number of phones needed. Despite all that, even the companies that were authorised to sell the phones have struggled to keep up with demand.

I don't have the money to lay out in one hit to buy it outright from Mobicity.

I rang 4 Telstra stores today. None of them had even received their first shipments yet. That is ****ing hopeless.

Nokia ****ed up.

#104 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:50

To review a flagship device is always something special, but for us the Nokia Lumia 920 stood out from the crowd. The model we have in our possession is an eye-catching yellow. It is available in other colours such as red, blue or grey. Whatever you choose, it's big, bold and in our opinion, beautiful.

The first thing we noticed was some may struggle to use the phone comfortably with one hand, as it is larger than most handsets. This is of course because of the glorious 4.5" display the Lumia 920 boasts.

It feels a tad weighty but that's no show stopper and you soon adjust. The phone is shrouded with a glossy polycarbonate body which blends into the screen seamlessly. 3 touch buttons (Back, Start and Search) can be found on the front. The Back button is an important one which will be used regularly, the other's not so much. On the side of the phone is a volume control button, the power/lock button and finally the camera button.

The camera works really well and for those of you with unsteady hands, you'll be happy to know that pictures should still come out clear because of the PureView Camera. We put this to the test and we were impressed with the result! The LED Flash is really bright and helps a great deal when taking pictures in darkened areas. Generally speaking, the photos we took came out really well. Being able to record in full HD is made even more special with the PureMotionHD+ Display.

The PureMotionHD+ Display is bright (ridiculously bright on the highest setting) and everything appears really clear and vivid. In fact, this is probably one of the best screens we've seen on a smart phone.

Battery life was impressive. Despite using the device frequently for everything from Games, Facebook and so on, it lasted the whole day with just under a third of it's battery left.

Browsing with Internet Explorer 10 was a pleasure. As with previous versions of Windows Phone, there is no Flash Support but HTML5 is supported out of the box. Annoyingly, there is still no 'quick' way to close Internet Explorer - meaning you are forced to go back through each page you've viewed, or close each tab manually to exit (although you can press the Start Button and leave it running in the background).

Windows Phone 8 is fluid, natural and operates smoothly on the Lumia 920. It actually suits the device with it's bold and colourful menu. There are marked improvements over Windows Phone 7, for example you can now can take screenshots or resize tiles on the start screen.

Nokia's decision to abandon Symbian for Windows Phone is starting to make sense. While the Store doesn't have as many Apps as say, Android or iOS it does have plenty to choose from and should keep you busy.

The phone is social at heart, with the ability to pull contacts from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, and Outlook. 'What's New' is a social news feed, including your contacts updates and latest photos. This is a nice touch but not necessarily intended to be a replacement for the dedicated applications.

One nice inclusion with the Lumia is Microsoft Office for managing documents, spreadsheets and presentations on the go. It works well and is extremely easy to get to grips with.

Nokia City Lens is brilliant. It was a little inaccurate in our tests but fun all the same. The idea is you use your camera to locate local points of interests around you such as a bar or restaurant. With it you can also view information such as opening times, reviews and contact information.

Parental Control has now arrived in the form of Kids Corner, which allows you to specify exactly what you want your child to be able to access on your Phone. This is unique to Windows Phone and really makes sense when you think of the number of Apps that cater for the younger audience and while it shouldn't replace parental supervision, it does mean mum and dad can relax a little.

The Lumia 920 supports 4G which will help pit it against the latest smartphones.

Source

#105 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:16

I rang 4 Telstra stores today. None of them had even received their first shipments yet. That is ****ing hopeless.

Nokia ****ed up.

Yep EE (the exclusive carrier here in the UK) have had similar problems with stock. The exclusivity deal seems to have worked against Nokia as it's artificially limiting phones, pushing up the price of fully unlocked phones as retailers are forced to rely on grey imports and EE haven't made any effort to market the phone. My local EE shop doesn't even have dummy models of the phone let alone posters :rolleyes: