colorado graffiti zoning issues

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,917 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 21:29

DENVER - A hateful message written on a Denver home is angering neighbors, according to a Monday report.

Last week a woman put "F*** off Crimigrants" on her home. Crimigrants is a mix of the words criminal and immigrants.

When neighbors complained about the curse word and called police, the homeowner changed the message to "No Crimigrants."

"It's ignorance," said neighbor Peter Stretton.

The home sits a few blocks from a school. One neighbor said that is what concerned her.

"It's not a message that anyone in this neighborhood really wants to project," said Christina Stretton. "I see kids walking by here. That's unfortunate that the kids have to see that."

Scripps Denver station 7NEWS contacted the woman who put up the message. She did not give her name but said she posted the sign because she has grown frustrated with the city of Denver. The woman said she has complained to the city about crime, graffiti and zoning issues in her neighborhood. She said those complaints have fallen on deaf ears.

"Yeah I think the sign is extreme," the woman said through her window. "The sign was put there for a reason because I've got government neglecting their jobs."

The woman also complained that she suspects one of her neighbors is in the country illegally. Her sign may be offensive but it is protected by free speech.

"I feel like we're going backwards," said neighbor Christina Stretton.

source

#2 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:11

Crimigrants seems appropriate. Those people are criminals and immigrants. Note it's not about legal immigration.

There is no hate. The title is slanted towards helping illegal immigration.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,917 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:13

I don't care for the public profanity part, but she should be able to express her dislike, if she wants.

#4 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:19

Niko Bellic watch out!

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:25

I don't care for the public profanity part, but she should be able to express her dislike, if she wants.

I agree. It fits too in some cases.

#6 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,356 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:26

Only idiots would make the direct connection between criminals and immigrants. Sadly these idiots are here as well.

#7 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:27

Freedom of speech is great. This is a great example. Now, because of it, we know which house has the retarded person in it.

#8 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,917 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:28

Only idiots would make the direct connection between criminals and immigrants. Sadly these idiots are here as well.

^ The illegal immigrants have committed a crime.

#9 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:14

There is a direct link between immigration and crimes caused by illegal immigrants. A percentage of immigration is that of Illegal immigrants. A undisclosed number of illegal immigrants contribute to the crimes in a given country. For starters, they're illegal right? Meaning they committed a crime in their immigration. Once here a good number of those illegal immigrants commit crimes. So only an idiot would not make a direct connection between immigration and criminals.

Are all immigrants criminals? no. Are all illegal immigrants criminals? YES Do all illegal immigrants commit other crimes? Most do.

http://www.renewamer...ns/kouri/060622
  • The Federal Bureau of Prisons reports that 26.4 percent of inmates in federal prisons are non-U.S. citizens. Non-citizens are 8.6 percent of the nation’s adult population. However, federal prisons are not representative of prisons generally or local jails.
  • A Pew Hispanic Center study found that, of those sentenced for federal crimes in 2007, non-citizen Hispanics were 74 percent of immigration offenders, 25 percent of drug offenders, 8 percent of white collar offenders, and 6 percent of firearms offenders. Non-citizen Hispanics are 5.1 percent of the nation’s adult population. However, the report does not provide information for other crimes or for non-Hispanic immigrants.

http://cis.org/ImmigrantCrime

A Government Accountability Office study from 2005 also found that most illegal immigrant arrests were happening in California, Texas and Arizona. The study sampled a prison population of more than 55,000 illegal immigrants, and found that 80 percent of all the arrests were in those three states.

http://www.foxnews.c...-data-suggests/

#10 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,928 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:22

At least the Americans didn't arrest her -- in the UK now, taking a picture of yourself setting fire to a paper flower is enough to get you arrested.

#11 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:56

first thing i thought of too was its not a bad message... she is being specific... criminals + immigrants.... Ask yourself "do you like foreign criminals in your country?" If not, then you agree with her.

Notice: before you say that's its racist and that i too am racist, know that i have a fiancee that is a foreigner that i am marrying next year.

#12 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:09

^ The illegal immigrants have committed a crime.

Not all immigrants are illegal immigrants. It seems that the word 'immigrant' immediately draws a connotation to also being 'illegal' in your mind.

#13 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:10

Not all immigrants are illegal immigrants. It seems that the word 'immigrant' immediately draws a connotation to also being 'illegal' in your mind.

you are doing it reversely just like you are saying he has done. he specifically said "illegal immigrants" and your mind he is saying all. But its perfectly clear if you re-read without prejudice.

#14 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:17

first thing i thought of too was its not a bad message... she is being specific... criminals + immigrants.... Ask yourself "do you like foreign criminals in your country?" If not, then you agree with her.
Notice: before you say that's its racist and that i too am racist, know that i have a fiancee that is a foreigner that i am marrying next year.

So, you are marrying a criminal then...nice. :p

Your interpretation of what you quoted is so very different than what was actually posted. How do you manage that? Not comprehending what you read or simply not paying attention to what you read? Or possibly simply injecting your misperception of what you read?

I mean I understand, I sometimes don't bother to read every word in a post before posting about said post. So I can be wrong in those instances. JUST LIKE YOU ARE NOW.

#15 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:15

you are doing it reversely just like you are saying he has done. he specifically said "illegal immigrants" and your mind he is saying all. But its perfectly clear if you re-read without prejudice.

Your interpretation of what you quoted is so very different than what was actually posted. How do you manage that? Not comprehending what you read or simply not paying attention to what you read? Or possibly simply injecting your misperception of what you read?

I mean I understand, I sometimes don't bother to read every word in a post before posting about said post. So I can be wrong in those instances. JUST LIKE YOU ARE NOW.

It was a direct response to Hum quoting Denis W:

And then drawing that Denis W's comments were in reference to ILLEGAL immigrants when Denis W's comments were in reference to LEGAL immigrants.
Maybe you both should double check what was being quoted before jumping to conclusions or blame the forum software that it doesn't do nested quoting.

The bottom line is that the words "Crimigrants" was made up by this woman, was she referring to ILLEGAL immigrants whose crime it is of how they entered the country, or is she referring to ALL immigrants (who both legally and illegally entered the country) and then go on to commit other crimes in her neighbourhood eg: Graffiti.

I don't think that it's fair that immigrants who enter legally get labelled in the category as illegal immigrants just because both groups are foreign. Illegal immigrants have committed a crime by definition in the law (it is a crime to enter the country illegally) but someone who has legally immigrated does not automatically that they must be committing crimes.

It's hard to tell which type of immigrant the woman is referring to, but by not being specific, it appears that they is referring to ALL immigrants and then everyone is quick to assume that she means Illegal ones.