97 posts in this topic

Posted

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Steven Sinofsky, the Microsoft executive in charge of Windows, has left the company. Julie Larson-Green is to assume control of Windows software and hardware engineering, and CFO Tami Reller will be in charge of the Windows business. The changes are effective immediately, and no reason was given for Sinofsky's departure.[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]More: [/font][/color]http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/12/3638118/steven-sinofsky-leaving-microsoft

Posted

Wow, that's sudden. Wonder what happened?

Posted

Something happened. Was he on bad terms with somebody?

Posted

There is hope for windows 9 yet!
9 people like this

Posted

sudden indeed, weird

Posted

Was just gonna post this too... that's some WHOA news :no: (N)
1 person likes this

Posted

Larson Green will continue on with Windows 8 evolution. You can't just simply abandon the changes in Windows 8. Many of them are for the better.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Growled' timestamp='1352771145' post='595315564']
[/quote]

Windows 8 happened. Apparently Microsoft isn't anywhere near as suicidal as some of Neowin's most vocal Metro apologists would have us believe. Sinofsky blew it big time, and now he's gone.

I'm looking forward to what Windows 9 will be like. Hopefully a major course correction.
4 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Dot Matrix' timestamp='1352771426' post='595315580']
Larson Green will continue on with Windows 8 evolution. You can't just simply abandon the changes in Windows 8. Many of them are for the better.
[/quote]
It's much less about new possibilities, but the deprecations that are upsetting most who criticize Microsoft for Windows 8 so much.

[i]Glassed Silver:mac[/i]
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Growled' timestamp='1352771145' post='595315564']
[/quote]

He realized Windows 8 is an epic fail and decided to leave before all hell comes down on him.
3 people like this

Posted

Judging by Twitter, he wasn't very liked at Microsoft. Also, judging by Ballmer's letter, it was his decision.

Posted

Cool, the leaks will return for Windows 9 :D
2 people like this

Posted

Sinofsky was the last visionary at that company.

Posted

Too bad that metro woman is still there in charge of windows.
2 people like this

Posted

[size=4]I don't think [color=#282828]Sinofsky liked the way Windows 8 turned out. I don't think he likes the design at all.[/color][/size]

Posted

[quote name='Windows Nashville' timestamp='1352771608' post='595315582']
Windows 8 happened. Apparently Microsoft isn't anywhere near as suicidal as some of Neowin's most vocal Metro apologists would have us believe. Sinofsky blew it big time, and now he's gone.

I'm looking forward to what Windows 9 will be like. Hopefully a major course correction.
[/quote]

Sorry, but nope. Julie Larson-Green was also one of the folks behind some of the big changes here. She did a lot of work for Office. She was one of the folks that led the way for the Ribbon UI elements. She also is one of the primary people handling design for Windows.

So what you're hoping for and the scenario you are proposing? Not in line with reality.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Scorbing' timestamp='1352772257' post='595315618']
I don't think [color=#282828]Sinofsky liked the way Windows 8 turned out. I don't think he likes the design at all.[/color]
[/quote]

Then why didn't he leave before? He set the direction.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Dot Matrix' timestamp='1352772056' post='595315598']
Judging by Twitter, he wasn't very liked at Microsoft. Also, judging by Ballmer's letter, it was his decision.
[/quote]

No company's going to come out and slag off their employees in public, but given that Microsoft are the kings of PR speak I'll take what they have had to say at face value. I'd love to know what's really behind this decision.

Posted

This is majorly bad news for MS, he was last competent high ranking senior executive. Ballmer must be over the moon that he's secured his job for years as one by one the "thinkers" left.

Posted

Excellent news! A step in the right direction - at last! :)

Posted

[left][b]REDMOND, Wash.

Posted

[quote name='Dot Matrix' timestamp='1352772362' post='595315626']
Then why didn't he leave before? He set the direction.
[/quote]

Would you leave a 2.2 million dollar a year salary job?

[url="http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=505644&ticker=MSFT"]http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=505644&ticker=MSFT[/url]

Posted

[quote name='Scorbing' timestamp='1352772758' post='595315656']
Would you leave a 2.2 million dollar a year salary job?

[url="http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=505644&ticker=MSFT"]http://investing.bus...644&ticker=MSFT[/url]
[/quote]

It's not unusual for people to leave after completing projects. I've done it myself in search of new things. Doesn't mean I think what I've done "sucks".

Posted

[quote name='Dot Matrix' timestamp='1352772805' post='595315660']
It's not unusual for people to leave after completing projects. I've done it myself in search of new things. Doesn't mean I think what I've done "sucks".
[/quote]

Something nasty must have happened for him to leave so suddenly like that. Creative differences maybe? Let's face it, Windows 8 is not exactly charming and user friendly. It looks like crap compared to Windows 7.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Scorbing' timestamp='1352772934' post='595315664']
Something nasty must have happened for him to leave so suddenly like that. Creative differences maybe? Let's face it, Windows 8 is not exactly charming and user friendly. It looks like crap compared to Windows 7.
[/quote]

I've been using it just fine. Loving the new apps and Start Screen. Just the facelift Windows needed. It's brought development back to the platform that consumers can enjoy.