microsoft

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#16 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:04

Windows 8 happened. Apparently Microsoft isn't anywhere near as suicidal as some of Neowin's most vocal Metro apologists would have us believe. Sinofsky blew it big time, and now he's gone.

I'm looking forward to what Windows 9 will be like. Hopefully a major course correction.

Sorry, but nope. Julie Larson-Green was also one of the folks behind some of the big changes here. She did a lot of work for Office. She was one of the folks that led the way for the Ribbon UI elements. She also is one of the primary people handling design for Windows.

So what you're hoping for and the scenario you are proposing? Not in line with reality.

#17 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,791 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:06

I don't think Sinofsky liked the way Windows 8 turned out. I don't think he likes the design at all.

Then why didn't he leave before? He set the direction.

#18 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,952 posts

Judging by Twitter, he wasn't very liked at Microsoft. Also, judging by Ballmer's letter, it was his decision.

No company's going to come out and slag off their employees in public, but given that Microsoft are the kings of PR speak I'll take what they have had to say at face value. I'd love to know what's really behind this decision.

#19 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,314 posts

This is majorly bad news for MS, he was last competent high ranking senior executive. Ballmer must be over the moon that he's secured his job for years as one by one the "thinkers" left.

#20 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:10

Excellent news! A step in the right direction - at last! :)

#21 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:11

REDMOND, Wash. — Nov. 12, 2012 — Microsoft Corp. today announced that Windows and Windows Live President Steven Sinofsky will be leaving the company and that Julie Larson-Green will be promoted to lead all Windows software and hardware engineering. Tami Reller retains her roles as chief financial officer and chief marketing officer and will assume responsibility for the business of Windows. Both executives will report directly to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

These changes are effective immediately.

“I am grateful for the many years of work that Steven has contributed to the company,” Ballmer said. “The products and services we have delivered to the market in the past few months mark the launch of a new era at Microsoft. We’ve built an incredible foundation with new releases of Microsoft Office, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Server 2012 and ‘Halo 4,’ and great integration of services such as Bing, Skype and Xbox across all our products. To continue this success it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings.”

https://www.microsof...uncementPR.aspx

#22 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:12

Then why didn't he leave before? He set the direction.

Would you leave a 2.2 million dollar a year salary job?

http://investing.bus...644&ticker=MSFT

#23 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,791 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:13

Would you leave a 2.2 million dollar a year salary job?

http://investing.bus...644&ticker=MSFT

It's not unusual for people to leave after completing projects. I've done it myself in search of new things. Doesn't mean I think what I've done "sucks".

#24 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:15

It's not unusual for people to leave after completing projects. I've done it myself in search of new things. Doesn't mean I think what I've done "sucks".

Something nasty must have happened for him to leave so suddenly like that. Creative differences maybe? Let's face it, Windows 8 is not exactly charming and user friendly. It looks like crap compared to Windows 7.

#25 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,791 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:17

Something nasty must have happened for him to leave so suddenly like that. Creative differences maybe? Let's face it, Windows 8 is not exactly charming and user friendly. It looks like crap compared to Windows 7.

I've been using it just fine. Loving the new apps and Start Screen. Just the facelift Windows needed. It's brought development back to the platform that consumers can enjoy.

#26 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:20

I've been using it just fine. Loving the new apps and Start Screen. Just the facelift Windows needed. It's brought development back to the platform that consumers can enjoy.

Frankly, I'd rather watch paint dry.

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,845 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:20

Sorry, but nope. Julie Larson-Green was also one of the folks behind some of the big changes here. She did a lot of work for Office. She was one of the folks that led the way for the Ribbon UI elements. She also is one of the primary people handling design for Windows.

So what you're hoping for and the scenario you are proposing? Not in line with reality.

Well she did a great job with Office. Office 2013 is superb. Let's face it, even with the annoying compromises in Windows 8, there's NO WAY windows could exist on phones and tablets with the Explorer UI/UX. Just not possible, that's why it failed on tablets.

Transitioning from the Explorer UI/UX to Metro/Modern is no easy task. I think after the initial shock wears off, people will realize what a task it was, and they did a pretty good job. As long as they keep updating apps and OS, it will be fine. For tablets it's great, it's when you transition back and forth that it's irritating and they really should unify Search. I mean really. They can't leave search the way it is.

#28 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,791 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:22

Frankly, I'd rather watch paint dry.

Then go watch it dry? Frankly, you can't have a consumer OS that is falling by the wayside with consumers. Just not how things work. Windows 8 apps brought the band back together - sort to speak. You're never going to see these apps in Win32 form, and some of these are now considered essential.

#29 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:26

This is majorly bad news for MS, he was last competent high ranking senior executive. Ballmer must be over the moon that he's secured his job for years as one by one the "thinkers" left.

1. Actually he wasn't the last, in fact nowhere near the last.
2. Actually that would be the opposite of securing his job. I don't think that term means what you think it means.

Indeed. That's usually how it works in the business world. You usually stay on until a project is complete and all the last loose ends are tied up, then you make the announcement to move on.

Well she did a great job with Office. Office 2013 is superb. Let's face it, even with the annoying compromises in Windows 8, there's NO WAY windows could exist on phones and tablets with the Explorer UI/UX. Just not possible, that's why it failed on tablets.

Transitioning from the Explorer UI/UX to Metro/Modern is no easy task. I think after the initial shock wears off, people will realize what a task it was, and they did a pretty good job. As long as they keep updating apps and OS, it will be fine. For tablets it's great, it's when you transition back and forth that it's irritating and they really should unify Search. I mean really. They can't leave search the way it is.

Why can't they leave search the way it is? It's an extra click of a button (or press of a finger) to switch what you are searching. It helps keep search nice and clean.

I don't want to wade through tons of files that have the word 'add user' located somewhere in the file to find something about adding users that is in the settings area.

#30 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,536 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:26

Does this mean that the next Version of windows will have simpler methods for users who like to customise log on sounds without installing third party programs like we used to with XP?