• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 15 November 2012 - 17:46

I just bought by Nexus 7 from Google and am looking to get a Nexus 4 phone but Google is out of stock. Is Google the only place to get the Nexus devices? I don't see them for sale anywhere.

#2 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 17:50

To be honest, if you can get a Galaxy Nexus over Nexus 4, I would do it.
Check with your cell phone provider. Nexus 4 isn't as good as the Galaxy Nexus, however the Nexus 4 is cheaper and easier to get with out contract.

#3 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 15 November 2012 - 17:55

T-mobile has them. The Play Store should be restocked, hopefully sometime soon. These phones are in high demand right now, so be patient.

#4 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 15 November 2012 - 17:57

You can (or will be able to soon) buy it on stores but it won't be as cheap as it is on Google Play.
A Google employee said on Google+ that they should have stock again in the US this week.

#5 I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 17:59

Nexus 4 isn't as good as the Galaxy Nexus, however the Nexus 4 is cheaper and easier to get with out contract.

youre right, it isn't as good, its much better than the galaxy nexus. Please explain your logic behind that comment, that just makes no sense.

#6 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:05

youre right, it isn't as good, its much better than the galaxy nexus. Please explain your logic behind that comment, that just makes no sense.

Well there are pros/cons to both devices. The LG is better in the sense that CPU/GPU are better, however, it doesn't have LTE (yet), and storage options are lackluster. There might be other negatives that could be subjective, ex: design. In my eyes, the Nexus 4 is a huge disappointment for a device carrying the Nexus moniker.

#7 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:32

I am confused by your guys' use of the term "Google Play". I thought that was a place to buy apps using an android device.

#8 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:34

I am confused by your guys' use of the term "Google Play". I thought that was a place to buy apps using an android device.

The Google Play Store is a place where you can purchase Apps., Music, Movies/TV shows, Books, Magazine, and Nexus/ChromeBook devices. Go to the link and choose your category on the left hand side.

#9 I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:36

Well there are pros/cons to both devices. The LG is better in the sense that CPU/GPU are better, however, it doesn't have LTE (yet), and storage options are lackluster. There might be other negatives that could be subjective, ex: design. In my eyes, the Nexus 4 is a huge disappointment for a device carrying the Nexus moniker.

when the galaxy nexus first came out only 1 carrier, Verizon, had the 32gb and LTE. All other galaxy nexus' on every other carrier were 16gb with hspa+, just like the nexus 4. The Verizon nexus was not normal, and was probably the last nexus device they will even get. With that said, compared to the galaxy nexus the new nexus is overall better. You are the only person who ive seen say they like the slippery cheap plastic by Samsung over the new LG nexus.

#10 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:46

The Google Play Store is a place where you can purchase Apps., Music, Movies/TV shows, Books, Magazine, and Nexus/ChromeBook devices. Go to the link and choose your category on the left hand side.

Wow, I had no idea. It's almost like I need a Nexus in order to buy a Nexus LOL

#11 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:48

when the galaxy nexus first came out only 1 carrier, Verizon, had the 32gb and LTE. All other galaxy nexus' on every other carrier were 16gb with hspa+, just like the nexus 4. The Verizon nexus was not normal, and was probably the last nexus device they will even get. With that said, compared to the galaxy nexus the new nexus is overall better. You are the only person who ive seen say they like the slippery cheap plastic by Samsung over the new LG nexus.

Yep, the Galaxy Nexus GSM 32GB was cancelled, for reasons really unknown. Well, the Nexus 4 could be introduced with LTE, and join Verizon/Sprint. I don't think the Galaxy Nexus is by any means the last Nexus device that Verizon will see. Verizon did butcher the Galaxy Nexus, but I think Google wouldn't risk losing a big part of Verizon's market like that. I never said I like the "cheap plastic" over the Nexus 4. I personally haven't seen or held the Nexus 4 in person, so I can't make that judgement until I hold the device in my hands. Having said that, I hate the idea of using glass on the back panel - I figured manufacturers would have learned after the whole iPhone 4 fiasco. IMO, it's a stupid design decision.

I generally hate Samsung, their build quality is not the greatest, but I hate LG even more. I had very bad experiences with LG phones in the past. I hope Google partners up with HTC for the next Nexus device.

#12 kjordan2001

kjordan2001

Mystery Solver

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:52

This is the unlocked version. Provider specific versions that will come later will have LTE options. Unfortunately it may be difficult to make a device that would support all LTE options (especially since one like T-Mobile doesn't even have them yet).

#13 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:55

To be honest, if you can get a Galaxy Nexus over Nexus 4, I would do it.
Check with your cell phone provider. Nexus 4 isn't as good as the Galaxy Nexus, however the Nexus 4 is cheaper and easier to get with out contract.

Are you serious? The Nexus 4 has a significantly faster CPU, more ram, a better screen (Pentile on the GN, non Pentile on the N4), a much more powerful GPU (The GPU in the GN is the same GPU as in the Samsung Galaxy S... dated)and it isn't made out of cheap and slippery plastic.

#14 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:57

This is the unlocked version. Provider specific versions that will come later will have LTE options. Unfortunately it may be difficult to make a device that would support all LTE options (especially since one like T-Mobile doesn't even have them yet).

Google has not made any announcements about any LTE device, what they did say was that they refused to play VZW's games to be able to release an LTE version, and I highly doubt they will now, Google rightly is demanding that VZW not fuss with the device and let Google update it when they choose to, VZW won't allow that, so it's game over for VZW, would love to see Motorola pull the plug on VZW too, see how long till they change their minds once they loose all their best selling phones

#15 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:58

Nexus 4 - No LTE, Only 8 gb of internal memory (compared to 32gb on galaxy)
Agree that Nexus 4 has other upgrades over Nexus but the above would are important factors for me.
Typically for an upgrade, I expect the replacement to exceed the previous in all area's, some portions of the Nexus 4 feel like downgrades.

I have a Galaxy Nexus (T-Mobile) 32gb.
I've not had any apps lag, and the OS seems snappy / responsive.
The touch screen been responsive / haven't had any issues with it.
Another reason why the hardware upgrades cpu/gpu/touch screen are not compelling too me.
Also in case any of my phone / devices with otterbox so aesthetics are not a big reason for me either.

I'm not saying, however, the Nexus 4 is a bad phone.
I like the fact Nexus 4 is inexpensive and easy to get off contract.