17 posts in this topic

Posted

The dream of faster-than-light travel has been on the mind of humanity for generations. Until recently, though, it was restricted to the realm of pure science fiction. Theoretical mechanisms for warp drives have been posited by science, some of which actually jive quite nicely with what we know of physics. Of course, that doesn
1 person likes this

Posted

Pff, invent the Deflector Array as well then?

Pretty sure if someone manages to bend space to achieve warp they could invent something to deflect the particles away in their sleep.
2 people like this

Posted

Easy solution, just back in to the parking spot when you get there.
2 people like this

Posted

Wonder if it would be possible to collect these particles as they built up to use as energy? If nothing else, you have a pretty nice weapon to play interstellar bumper cars with :)
1 person likes this

Posted

Pfft...I tried to tell ol' Hans, but NOOOooo... :p

Posted

If the problem is the build-up of particles over the distance of the trip, it would likely be necessary to make shorter 'burst-trips' if you will, going in and out of warp space so that when the particles are released, it wouldn't be so catastrophic. Of course, you first have to know how much travel would be necessary to build up so many particles that stopping would cause a cataclysmic explosion ahead of you. Then you adjust accordingly.

Posted

The funny thing is that (as mentioned above) Star Trek already addressed this idea with the Deflector Array, the shape of the ships, and the configuration of the 'Warp Bubble'.

Does anyone else find it funny that the ship above looks a lot like the early Vulcan ships in Star Trek? (Other than the obvious football in the earlier pic)

[img]http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/vulcan_command_ship_02.jpg[/img]
2 people like this

Posted

Navigational deflectors, or bussard ramscoops. Or both. Solved :-)

Also the Starfleet rule that you shouldn't enter or exit warp while inside a solar system exists for a reason ;-)

And good call with the vulcan ship there Shane hehe

Posted

[quote name='TCLN Ryster' timestamp='1353093032' post='595325740']

Also the Starfleet rule that you shouldn't enter or exit warp while inside a solar system exists for a reason ;-)

[/quote]

Two good, viable options also.

Of course, it's not really a Starfleet rule; rather a United Federation of Planets rule. Starfleet is an Academy for training officers to pilot Federation ships or other work about Federation vessels. It's the Federation that makes such laws and regulations (such as the Prime Directive). This was a mistake I noticed was repeated in J. J. Abram's Star Trek movie. Federation and Starfleet were used interchangeably as though they were one and the same. But they really aren't.

Posted

[quote name='TCLN Ryster' timestamp='1353093032' post='595325740']

[/quote]

But I've seen them enter & exit solar systems using warp.

But, supposedly, you're not supposed to use warp while orbiting a planet, something to do with a gravity well and warp not interacting together would destroy the planet or something along those lines.

Posted

[quote name='devHead' timestamp='1353093530' post='595325774']
Two good, viable options also.

Of course, it's not really a Starfleet rule; rather a United Federation of Planets rule. Starfleet is an Academy for training officers to pilot Federation ships or other work about Federation vessels. It's the Federation that makes such laws and regulations (such as the Prime Directive). This was a mistake I noticed was repeated in J. J. Abram's Star Trek movie. Federation and Starfleet were used interchangeably as though they were one and the same. But they really aren't.
[/quote]

No, Starfleet Academy is where students train in order to enter Starfleet.

Starfleet itself is the name of their combined military and exploration fleet.

The UFP (United Federation of Planets) is a coalition of many worlds that work together. Some members of those worlds choose to enlist in Starfleet, and some of them choose to stay with their own local military and/or exploration fleets.

The wording used in the newest Star Trek film is correct in the usage cases present. Watch it again more closely using the context I've provided above. You will find that every example is correct.

[quote name='Asrokhel' timestamp='1353093968' post='595325802']
But I've seen them enter & exit solar systems using warp.

But, supposedly, you're not supposed to use warp while orbiting a planet, something to do with a gravity well and warp not interacting together would destroy the planet or something along those lines.
[/quote]

BTW, there is a bit of fuzz surrounding this as it is handled somewhat inconsistently at times. I've viewed it along the lines of there are certain systems in which it is safe to enter/exit warp speed, and certain systems where it is not safe. This is mostly due to the inconsistencies shown...but heck they've even shown warp in atmo before in Star Trek IV on Earth of all places...

Posted

[quote name='Shane Nokes' timestamp='1353094568' post='595325832']
No, Starfleet Academy is where students train in order to enter Starfleet.

Starfleet itself is the name of their combined military and exploration fleet.

The UFP (United Federation of Planets) is a coalition of many worlds that work together. Some members of those worlds choose to enlist in Starfleet, and some of them choose to stay with their own local military and/or exploration fleets.

The wording used in the newest Star Trek film is correct in the usage cases present. Watch it again more closely using the context I've provided above. You will find that every example is correct.

BTW, there is a bit of fuzz surrounding this as it is handled somewhat inconsistently at times. I've viewed it along the lines of there are certain systems in which it is safe to enter/exit warp speed, and certain systems where it is not safe. This is mostly due to the inconsistencies shown...but heck they've even shown warp in atmo before in Star Trek IV on Earth of all places...
[/quote]

Ah, man, you're right. My bad.

Posted

[quote name='devHead' timestamp='1353098217' post='595325988']
Ah, man, you're right. My bad.
[/quote]

No worries. I just happen to be way too much of a trivia nerd. :(
2 people like this

Posted

I remember reading science fiction books where they couldn't operate warp engines in a solar system, but only outside the solar system.

Posted

Hyperdrives is where it's at baby, none of this messing about with warp drive. Check out Stargates speeds compared to Star Treks.

[color=#333333][font=Verdana][size=4]Asgard hyperdrives can hop between galaxies in minutes. It was supposed to take Voyager, what? 75 years to get a mere 70,000 lightyears? (3/4 of the width of our galaxy)[/size][/font][/color]
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='tuckeratlarge' timestamp='1353156585' post='595327580']
Hyperdrives is where it's at baby, none of this messing about with warp drive. Check out Stargates speeds compared to Star Treks.

[color=#333333][font=Verdana][size=4]Asgard hyperdrives can hop between galaxies in minutes. It was supposed to take Voyager, what? 75 years to get a mere 70,000 lightyears? (3/4 of the width of our galaxy)[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Those little guys know their stuff and would bitch slap those star fleet noobs.

Posted

[quote name='Shane Nokes' timestamp='1353094568' post='595325832']
but heck they've even shown warp in atmo before in Star Trek IV on Earth of all places...[/quote]

I remember seeing that in the theatre, back in the 1980s.