Do you use category view in the control panel?   99 votes

1. 1. Do you use category view in the control panel?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, how worthless!
  2. 2. Start Screen and Category View

• I like the Wndows 8 start screen and I also like category view
    • I like the Windows 8 start screen but dislike category view
    • I dislike both the WIndows 8 start screen and category view
    • I dislike the WIndows 8 start screen but I like category view

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 posts in this topic

Posted

Do you use category view in the control panel?
1 person likes this

Posted

Yes. It presents a cleaner window, and easier to navigate UI. The "barf view", where everything is just thrown together and left to rot, just got too cumbersome to use.

Posted

Nope, if I leave it in category, half the time I can't find what I am looking for.
9 people like this

Posted

On every machine, category view is the first thing to go. I find it totally worthless. My feeling is "Please don't hide stuff from me, I want to see everything"
7 people like this

Posted

Yes. I got used to using the category view in Windows XP and prefer it to the classic view.

Posted

Dislike it.

Posted

Depends on what I'm doing. I find category view better for some stuff, and the old 'flat' view better for other things. So I switch depending on what I'm doing.

Posted

Nah, I know where things are and category view just mucks it up. What's hard about alphabetical order?
2 people like this

Posted

I've never used it. Do not like it at all, but it's good for simple stuff, like Shane said. I leave it in category view for my parents' machine, and they have no trouble using it that way. They're older too, though, and they're technologically challenged, so to speak. If they get any kind of error message at all they freak out and don't know what to do, so they call me, lol.

Posted

Don't think I've ever used the category view. Or even the control panel itself as a whole for that matter. Been accessing whatever component I needed at the time via the start menu directly since at least XP, some of the more common ones I've also added as a context menu to the computer desktop icon. In 8 have them all pinned in their own group on the start screen. Same for administrative tools.

Posted

Hell no, it's one of the first thing I change after I set up Windows. What a worthless pain in the ass. I can't believe they kept that but got rid of sidebar gadgets.
4 people like this

Posted

Nope, category view annoys me. I select "Display as menu" so I can open control panel apps from the start menu without the extra clicks.

Posted

I usually just search for what I need in the start menu, otherwise I use category view, always. It's so, so much easier and faster to find things. That huge heap of tiny applets is horrible if you can't remember the exact name.

Especially since the column flow is ridiculous. Instead of going from top to bottom then from left to right they first go from left to right then from top to bottom. CONSISTENCY PLS MS.

Posted

I try to, unless I give up in frustration, more and more however I use the Windows 7 Start menu search to go to the exact control panel item because that is well indexed of all the things you can do in the control panel. Windows 8 is much more of a pain, not just finding the control panel for Desktop, but the search doesn't find anything as you type, you have to complete what you are typing for the search, then manually take control of the mouse and click 'settings' and then click what you want.

Posted

On XP no, Vista and later absolutely.

Posted

Added 1 more question. Please delete your vote and vote again.

Posted

Done :)

Posted

Nope, hate category view. It's worthless.
1 person likes this

Posted

Disabled category view on every installation I've done going back to XP in 2002.
1 person likes this

Posted

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HYYUK.jpg[/img]

Oh, ok...
2 people like this

Posted

I don't use it but I don't dislike it either.

The Start screen is ok but I don't really use it much.
The Start screen and Desktop relationship in Win 8 makes me think of a human turned inside-out.

Posted

its way better.. if i cant find what i want i just search it up, thats it.

Posted

I always leave it in classic view because I know where everything that I use is.
1 person likes this

Posted

I'm indifferent to whatever view they've now set for the Control Panel. I always use Search to find settings that I want to change.
2 people like this

Posted

Thought it sucked on XP but since Vista I have been using category view. I find a hierarchical system easier to use when locating stuff but have search when I get stuck.

Can't stand the 'sprayed on' UI view. More than 15 or so icons and I find myself spending way too much time scanning.