Photo

Do you use category view in the control panel?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you use category view in the control panel?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Start Screen and Category View

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:38

#2 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:39

Yes. It presents a cleaner window, and easier to navigate UI. The "barf view", where everything is just thrown together and left to rot, just got too cumbersome to use.

#3 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:40

Nope, if I leave it in category, half the time I can't find what I am looking for.

#4 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:42

On every machine, category view is the first thing to go. I find it totally worthless. My feeling is "Please don't hide stuff from me, I want to see everything"

#5 Lee G.

Lee G.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:43

Yes. I got used to using the category view in Windows XP and prefer it to the classic view.

#6 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:44

Dislike it.

#7 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:45

Depends on what I'm doing. I find category view better for some stuff, and the old 'flat' view better for other things. So I switch depending on what I'm doing.

#8 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:46

Nah, I know where things are and category view just mucks it up. What's hard about alphabetical order?

#9 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:49

I've never used it. Do not like it at all, but it's good for simple stuff, like Shane said. I leave it in category view for my parents' machine, and they have no trouble using it that way. They're older too, though, and they're technologically challenged, so to speak. If they get any kind of error message at all they freak out and don't know what to do, so they call me, lol.

#10 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:54

Don't think I've ever used the category view. Or even the control panel itself as a whole for that matter. Been accessing whatever component I needed at the time via the start menu directly since at least XP, some of the more common ones I've also added as a context menu to the computer desktop icon. In 8 have them all pinned in their own group on the start screen. Same for administrative tools.

#11 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 November 2012 - 22:07

Hell no, it's one of the first thing I change after I set up Windows. What a worthless pain in the ass. I can't believe they kept that but got rid of sidebar gadgets.

#12 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 16 November 2012 - 22:09

Nope, category view annoys me. I select "Display as menu" so I can open control panel apps from the start menu without the extra clicks.

#13 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 16 November 2012 - 22:14

I usually just search for what I need in the start menu, otherwise I use category view, always. It's so, so much easier and faster to find things. That huge heap of tiny applets is horrible if you can't remember the exact name.

Especially since the column flow is ridiculous. Instead of going from top to bottom then from left to right they first go from left to right then from top to bottom. CONSISTENCY PLS MS.

#14 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2012 - 22:20

I try to, unless I give up in frustration, more and more however I use the Windows 7 Start menu search to go to the exact control panel item because that is well indexed of all the things you can do in the control panel. Windows 8 is much more of a pain, not just finding the control panel for Desktop, but the search doesn't find anything as you type, you have to complete what you are typing for the search, then manually take control of the mouse and click 'settings' and then click what you want.

#15 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 16 November 2012 - 22:21

On XP no, Vista and later absolutely.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!