Apple Now Owns the Page Turn

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,264 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 13:45

Is it still legal to turn pages in actual books?

#17 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 14:29

I used to have an Android reader app similar to Kindle app that turned pages like that, ages ago, I've looked for it since and can't find it, I was pretty sure it was Aldiko app, but unless it was an earlier build it doesn't do it either

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,632 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:55

what about those animated children's storybooks???? is apple gonna sue the companies that make those??

Depends how much money the children's books are making.

#19 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:52

+1 Fake page turning just adds 1-2 seconds worth of nothing.

Actually that is not really the point but anyway..

#20 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:03

I despise everything apple, but your post title is misleading. its not a patent on page turn, its how the page turns. its not as ridiculous as some of you are making it seem. I imagine you are android/Samsung users.

from the patent:

The appearance of the animated images sequentially transitions between the images shown in FIGS. 1-3. The process or period in which one image transitions to another forms no part of the claimed design.

meaning they are patenting this particular animation,and not the process or period of the animation, meaning they are not patenting the actual page turn, just this particular animation that is in the drawings.

#21 Eddie7

Eddie7

Hallo... www.connectw.me

• 799 posts
  • Phone: 1-800-CALL-ME-MAYBE

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:11

Did apple not learn their lesson yet?!

#22 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,216 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:16

how the heck do they get patents on this stuff... there has been page turning by click and drag in programs since the 90's! I remember an old dos program that had a similar thing with an animated page turn as you dragged the mouse from right to left... sure now we do with a finger, but still the same darn thing!

+1 Fake page turning just adds 1-2 seconds worth of nothing.

a lot of those animations are just slow downs to get processing done behind the scenes that would normally look like a pause if you didn't throw an animation up in the UI thread while a background thread gets the next pages ready, or does something else...

#23 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:21

Skeuomorphic design stands in the way of good UI. The number of times my old boss wanted our catalogue online (on our ecommerce site - searchable, well laid out, easy to browse) as a "like a catalogue, page turning way" was ridiculous. It stops natural online use!

Some people prefer reading books in an old-fashioned way with the benefits of digital technology.

When I read, there's not much that can get into my way, it's not like I want to shoot lasers at the pages or something.

I agree that skeumorphism is blocking stuff from evolving in some parts, however there's not too much that can be improved upon in iBooks in my book (*badum-tsssh*)

Glassed Silver:mac

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:53

Did apple not learn their lesson yet?!

Apparently not.

#25 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,858 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:30

how the heck do they get patents on this stuff... there has been page turning by click and drag in programs since the 90's! I remember an old dos program that had a similar thing with an animated page turn as you dragged the mouse from right to left... sure now we do with a finger, but still the same darn thing!

a lot of those animations are just slow downs to get processing done behind the scenes that would normally look like a pause if you didn't throw an animation up in the UI thread while a background thread gets the next pages ready, or does something else...

That makes sense. But still, let's not kid ourselves, with the processing technology/power of cellphones all pdfs and epubs are already pre-rendered when opened anyway. I got understand how other people do like playing with page flips though.

#26 Marcel T

Marcel T

Neowinian

• 693 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:36

I remember a Flash demo website where all you did was flip through blank coloured pages and this was almost 10 years ago. Here's something similar with a version history almost 5 years go, I'm sure there's a lot of prior art out there besides the obviousness of it.

#27 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,369 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:52

Some people prefer reading books in an old-fashioned way with the benefits of digital technology.

Great, but the emulation of swiping a screen to see an animated page-turn is in no way "old fashioned" and doesn't emulate an actual page turn. It's an animation for the sake of an animation.

#28 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• 2,818 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:25

Is it still legal to turn pages in actual books?

I'm sure it's fine if you, say, turn the page from the top of the paper or even the middle of the page; just not the bottom. Apple's got that one patented. Enjoy!

Apple - what a bunch of psycho nutjobs.

#29 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,322 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:01

I'm sure it's fine if you, say, turn the page from the top of the paper or even the middle of the page; just not the bottom. Apple's got that one patented. Enjoy!

Oh shi :shiftyninja:

#30 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,674 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:31

Why would anyone want to copy that anyway? It looks awful and completely anachronistic.