Windows 8 sales dissapointing

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#16 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:34

Best buy is also the company that told my wife her laptop was completely dead and there was nothing they could do to fix it (this is after charging her to take a look at it), when the only problem with it was the monitor cable had come loose.

See what I mean Growled. They are not exactly the people you to hold up as a paradigm of knowledge. They often don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

In fact back in the day they wouldn't hire me after I corrected a Geek Squad manager who was talking about a PC that was in there. He said it had to be some sort of custom one-off custom built PC that they wouldn't know how to fix.

It simply had a BTX motherboard in it...which while rare isn't any different to work on than an ATX board for the most part. I pointed that out and he was ****ed that I knew something he didn't. That interview ended quickly. :p

#17 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:34

Best buy is also the company that told my wife her laptop was completely dead and there was nothing they could do to fix it (this is after charging her to take a look at it), when the only problem with it was the monitor cable had come loose.

Oh, I know. I call it Worst Buy mostly these days because of the high prices and the general lack of knowledge among the associates. I'm just reporting what I've been seeing. And generally your average person doesn't know and relies on Worst Buy to tell them.

#18 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:35

I do wish you luck. I too like Windows 8. I'm just so use to a start menu that I can't seem to get along well with it. Plus, I hate metro apps. One day I think they may be good and useful, but that is not today.

Why not just go to the App Apps section then and pretend that the rest of the Start Screen doesn't exist? Everything is still there :p

Oh, I know. I call it Worst Buy mostly these days because of the high prices and the general lack of knowledge among the associates. I'm just reporting what I've been seeing. And generally your average person doesn't know and relies on Worst Buy to tell them.

I actually call them that too lol...and usually while in the store. :p

#19 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:36

Ah Best Buy employees. The same people who tell you that you need to buy a $120 HDMI cable when you get a new Blu-ray player.

#20 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,768 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

I honestly can't wait till they go out of business lol.

#21 BoredBozirini

BoredBozirini

Bozrini Tringuini

• 3,804 posts

It is expected. With that **** new Metro screen, people are put off on making the switch.

#22 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:38

It is expected. With that **** new Metro screen, people are put off on making the switch.

Indeed, how dare progress intrude on your stagnation...horrible...horrible thing progress.

#23 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:45

Not all change is progress.

#24 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:47

Not all change is progress.

Actually all change is progress, just not necessarily in the direction you want. :p

#25 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,023 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:57

All it takes is a rumor by someone who hasn't had such a good track record for the last few years to make the haters come out of the woodwork. So some of you guys are jumping on some rumor that you were all thirsting for, and using it to conclude that windows 8 is a flop, and are dismissing the actual facts that have been released.

Let me refresh your memories

-Ballmer stating Windows 8 better to a start than 7

-4 million upgrades only in 3 days,and according to previous Microsoft statements,windows users pretty much NEVER upgrade.

-CEO of channel analyst Context says Windows 8 is doing better than Windows 7 did at launch in the Europe IT channel,this is significant because the economy is even shittier now.

-Windows 8 surpassing android web presence in a week, and Linux web presence in a few weeks,and according to the trend, ios shouldn't be too far away,likely a month.

-Soluto statistics saying Windows 8 now accounts for %3 of PCs.

But noooo, all of a sudden the word of Paul Thurott is as good as gold. And what if he was right. Do any of you know what Microsofts projections were? Maybe they were projecting double Windows 7 sales. Maybe they prepared for this massive launch but were disappointed they didn't reach that level of sales because Intel ****ed them because they're having ****ty yields on the new atom chip and that's delayed OEMs from getting actual tablets and pcs on the shelves.

#26 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,452 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:31

I can't stand Windows 8. Not because of functionality.. let's say that I could find workarounds around some of the most retarded UI and functionality decisions in this version of Windows, but to be honest it's so butt ugly that I can't look at it. It bothers me so much.

Microsoft has done 2 worst things they could have done. Made Windows super ugly, unintuitive and on top of that are trying to completely lock it down because they have Apple envy and all this not because of users but because of the fact that they are a decade late for mobile and new wave of technology.

But I guess they can do whatever they want. Market and users will vote with their usage not corporate agendas.

This will be a huge flop and worse than Vista.

#27 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

• 1,787 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:41

I do wish you luck. I too like Windows 8. I'm just so use to a start menu that I can't seem to get along well with it. Plus, I hate metro apps. One day I think they may be good and useful, but that is not today.

Ok, got W8 installed again, I never knew the you could "right click" in IE10 metro to pull up the "tabs" menu or what ever they called it, or that I could change the start page using the desktop version internet setting, why didn't they just put it in the metro section as well? The scrollbar disappearing and reappearing is a little annoying, but with some TPL's the new IE might be ok. To bad if I install Firefox, it messes up the metro version of IE, right? Anyone else got any IE10 tricks?

I love usb installs by the way, they are very speedy!

#28 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,023 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:55

I knew Thurrott is acting like a child because he got snubbed by Microsoft.

this is from Suril Amin
http://www.reddit.co...teven_sinofsky/

The hate Sinofsky because he has not openly given them information about Windows 7 and Windows 8 development and decided to keep more things secret. This last week on Paul Thurrott’s two podcasts he openly admitted he hates Sinofsky because it made it harder for him to write his book. Sinofsky did not give Thurrott internal builds of Windows 8, so he could write his book more easily. Thurrott also believes he is entitled to get information from Microsoft because he writes about Microsoft and helps consumers with technical problems. I am sure many of you remember Thurrott freaking out about Microsoft removing aero glass from Windows even though it was the right decision due to battery life. Well it now turns out that Thurrott was only angry about it because he was forced to re-take screenshots for his book because now there was no aero. Microsoft is a private corporation that can do what it wants and Thurrott is not owed anything. Mary-Jo Foley also said she hates Sinofsky because he had her blacklisted from Microsoft.

Should also be noted that Thurrott was snubbed for an early SurfaceRT review and has been slamming it ever since. What a crybaby.

So let me get this straight, Thurrott thinks if he starts putting negative information out, Microsoft will keep him in the loop so he can stop blabbing.

#29 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,278 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:09

Not everyone was born in this generation dude. You can't expect a 70 year old lady or man to understand something as technologically challenging as Windows 8.

LOL The only thing "challenging" about Win8 is the energy needed to stop being lazy and make some small adjustments, no it's pure laziness that makes people make crazy claims like this

#30 Open Minded

Open Minded

Balance

• 1,305 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:22

Not everyone was born in this generation dude. You can't expect a 70 year old lady or man to understand something as technologically challenging as Windows 8.

I get your point. However, someone that's older and didn't grow up with computers should find Windows 8 easier as there's huge freaking tiles on the screen clearly labeled with what each tile does. Somewhat along the lines of phones with crazy-huge buttons to dial due to their eyesight. So if anything, the older generation should like Windows 8 MORE because it's ( it should be ) easier for them to use. For them it's leaps and bounds above a DOS prompt or terminal...