6 posts in this topic

Posted

First, a chocolate primer. There are three main types of cocoa: criollo, trinitario and forastero, and each is different from the others in significant ways. Forastero is the workhorse; it grows consistently and tends to be hardy and disease-resistant, but it doesn't have much nuance in terms of flavor profile.

About 90 percent of the world's chocolate is made from the beans from this type of cacao fruit. Criollo has a complex and fruity flavor, but has much lower yields and is less disease-resistant; the pure version of the plant was thought to have been lost, since over the years it was crossbred with forastero to product the trinitario type (named for Trinidad, where it was first grown). Trinitario is what much of the better quality chocolates we enjoy are made from, and account for about 10 percent of the global chocolate market.

But according to some new research in Madagascar, the high-quality chocolate obsessives (and fair-trade champions) at Madecasse Chocolate Company have found some of those original criollo plants.

According to a news release from the company: "Pure Ancient Criollo, a once-thought extinct species of cacao, as well as other pure and extremely rare varieties of cacao, have been

Posted

Hm... I knew absolutely none of this... lol Very interesting really.

Posted

[quote name='M_Lyons10' timestamp='1353341880' post='595333292']
Hm... I knew absolutely none of this... lol Very interesting really.
[/quote]

Was there something uproariously funny in the article that I missed, or was that "lol" just a new form of punctuation?

Posted

I thought chocolate was just chocolate. You learn something new every day.

Posted

[quote name='Growled' timestamp='1353377182' post='595334962']
You learn something new every day.
[/quote]

What is the Internet coming to ... :laugh:

Posted

My skill in chocolate has increased by 1 point!