stockholm appendicitis pain medication

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:14

This is what happens with social medicine and is why a lot of Canadians come to the US for major operations.

So care to explain my posts...since I'm from the US, and socialized medicine didn't play into any of my points...

As regards Canadians coming here for operations...when is that old bit of half-truth going to die?

The interesting part...is I usually hear that Canadians flooding the US for healthcare thing...from folks who live in Red States.

#17 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,322 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:20

So care to explain my posts...since I'm from the US, and socialized medicine didn't play into any of my points...

As regards Canadians coming here for operations...when is that old bit of half-truth going to die?

The interesting part...is I usually hear that Canadians flooding the US for healthcare thing...from folks who live in Red States.

Ship happens regardless of when and where but this sort of thing seems to happen a lot with socialized medicine.

Well I know Canadians and a lot of them say the same thing. And by the way, I'm also from Austin which is a Blue city.

#18 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:25

Ship happens regardless of when and where but this sort of thing seems to happen a lot with socialized medicine.

Well I know Canadians and a lot of them say the same thing. And by the way, I'm also from Austin which is a Blue city.

I wasn't commenting on your particular affiliation. I was noting an interesting correlation based on state. :)

I know Canadians too...and most of the folks I know think our healthcare system is a joke. :p

#19 Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Master of Everything

• 1,252 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:32

I hope I never get appendicitis, although I don't think I will. I've been fine so far and next year I will be 30. Thankfully this kid is lucky as appendicitis is very serious from what I've heard.

#20 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 00:43

"Tough budget cuts, staff shortages, and recruitment difficulties have unfortunately put more pressure on surgeries and meant that children and parents have had to wait longer as a result," a hospital employee told DN.

So much for that supposedly better healthcare.

#21 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:58

********, this is what happens in busy hospitals that are poorly organised.

A quick google search finds thousands of similar incidents in the USA. It's pathetic how some people will try and use this and say "the American system is fine!" It isn't, it's one of the worst in the developed world.

#22 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• 1,776 posts
  • Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:13

As a Canadian, I can confidently say that claiming Canadians flock to the U.S. for health care is completely bogus. The only time Canadians go to the U.S. for health care is if they need some silly surgery that no doctor here believes is necessary. Is there a wait time on some surgeries and or certain medical treatments? Of course. But it doesn't make anyone run to the U.S. And the ones who do go, for the reason I mentioned above, it's only because they have the ridiculous amount of money that's required to even have the surgery.

This whole health care debate between the U.S. vs The World is utterly retarded. The rest of the world works just fine with this type of health care, what makes the U.S. so special that it would automatically fail? Barring ignorance and tediousness from it's people. This was definitely unfortunate, but it had EVERYTHING to do with idiotic doctors/nurses and NOTHING really to do with the system itself. There is absolutely 0 reason the nurses or doctors couldn't determine he was close to bursting, unless they were flat out ignoring the kid. In which case, how is the system at fault? LOL *shakes head*

#23 drlacus

drlacus

The doctor

• 428 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:38

This thing stinks!

First of all, appendicitis is hard to diagnose properly as several other conditions can be identified with the same symptoms.

"he didn't die from the pain" - It hurts like hell, but you won't die from the pain, especially after morphine and paracetamol!

"after suffering stomach pains for days. He was immediately diagnosed with appendicitis" - Wait... Stomach pains for days... appendicitis... immediate diagnosis? You have to go through several different examinations to properly diagnose appendicitis as I sad earlier. Physical examination, blood test, X-ray, ultrasound, kidney functions (check for kidney stones).

It is true that the infection can spread rapidly in case of a 9-year-old child, but this is common in children and by the time of the surgery they have to be cut open to solve the problem. The worst thing with appendicitis is its spreading. It can create a periappendicular or diffuse peritonitis and in extremely rare cases it can result in the patients death. Older patients show a tendency to have a slower progressing disease and they can even develop a periappendicular abscess. This kid complained of pain for several days by the time he was admitted to the hospital. I think there wasn't any chance to this procedure laparoscopically.

"There was only one overnight operating room to handle all of Stockholm's children" I can't believe there was only ONE active hospital in the capital of Sweden! If his case was so severe and all of the operating rooms were full in this one, he would have been transferred already!

"I'm convinced that if we hadn't demanded to speak with the chief surgeon we would have had to wait yet another night." - I don't think so.

"But by the time doctors operated on the nine-year-old, his appendix had already burst, resulting in an extended hospital stay, two weeks of missed school, and no ice hockey for young William until after Christmas." - Oh no! He is missing school for two weeks instead of one or one and a half and he can't play ice hockey for a month. I won't let my son play ice hockey for a month even after a laparoscopic surgery!
"If they had operated sooner, I'd be home now," told the nine-year-old or his father told him to tell this or the newspaper thought it would be great to have the boy to say this.

"Tough budget cuts, staff shortages, and recruitment difficulties have unfortunately put more pressure on surgeries and meant that children and parents have had to wait longer as a result," This is the only thing I have to agree with!

#24 Warboy

Warboy

The Doctor

• 417 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:48

20 hours? How can a hospital make a patient wait that long, when they are in obvious need of immediate surgery. That seems like a no-brainer...

At least the kid didn't die.

I waited 24 hours in a local hospital with a broken jaw [it broke in 2 different places, and found out its hard for them to wire your jaw if your already missing teeth]. It was the weekend and the plastic surgeon, the only guy trained they had to do the surgery wasn't in till Monday afternoon. I guess I had enough blood lost in that period to trigger oversleeping and dehydration only AFTER I was released from the hospital a few days later, So another week in the hospital. Sigh, I have more details but I won't go into it.

#25 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

• 2,659 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:59

ouch but lol

#26 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• 2,959 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:15

I can tell you right now those are Canadians that know jack **** about their provinces health care. (It's a standard set by the federal gov and the provinces get to pick and choose how to implement it.).

In Ontario if it's determined that you need the procedure done ASAP they will send you to the States to get it done, as long as theres no Doctors available up here. Oh and OHIP will reimburse you. My mother for example has had three different forms of cancer, she's had to have 3 different surgeries all happened within weeks of each diagnosis.

#27 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:25

Canadians flood the US health system.
It is called getting sick while on vacation.

#28 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,810 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:32

I thought this was about the US as well before I read the OP. Fact of the matter is this will be even worse now in the US since hospitals are cutting all over as a knee-jerk reaction to the ACA.