email government snooping us politics legislation privacy

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,929 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:14

A Senate proposal touted as protecting Americans' e-mail privacy has been quietly rewritten, giving government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law.
CNET has learned that Patrick Leahy, the influential Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee, has dramatically reshaped his legislation in response to law enforcement concerns. A vote on his bill, which now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, is scheduled for next week.
Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies -- including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission -- to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some circumstances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge.
It's an abrupt departure from Leahy's earlier approach, which required police to obtain a search warrant backed by probable cause before they could read the contents of e-mail or other communications. The Vermont Democrat boasted last year that his bill "provides enhanced privacy protections for American consumers by... requiring that the government obtain a search warrant."

http://news.cnet.com...=news&tag=title

#2 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,895 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:16

Cool -- they can answer all those spam messages promising million$ and easy sex.

#3 Routerbad

Routerbad

Neowinian Libertarian

• 852 posts
  • Phone: WP7.5

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:23

Haha, I doubt that's what they're interested in. It isn't just email. It's facebook posts, IM's, Google Docs (and by extension, Office 365 docs). Anything you put online, even in situations where you would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. It would basically nullify your 4th amendment rights when online.

In other words, http://www.france24....-post-thackeray this would not be far off.

#4 Neowon

Neowon

Neowinian

• 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:27

Very touchy subject isn't it? Wonder what's next.

#5 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

• 2,459 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:29

And just an another sign of america trying to control the whole world under one goverment. Had a very interesting read about freemasons the other day and everything just falls into place. First emails then letters, then banks. Soon everyone will be like sheep.

#6 Neowon

Neowon

Neowinian

• 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:34

If you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't worry. Then again why would I want anyone to read my personal emails. This is getting out of hands.

#7 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:34

Ah, from the same ******* who introduced PIPA last year. Guess he still needs something to do after 37 years in the Senate.

#8 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 18:46

And just an another sign of america trying to control the whole world under one goverment. Had a very interesting read about freemasons the other day and everything just falls into place. First emails then letters, then banks. Soon everyone will be like sheep.

Indeed, and that interesting thing you read about freemasons was likely full of crap. :p

My grandfather was a freemason...and it's not what you think it is.

#9 Spartan Erik

Spartan Erik

Neowinian

• 831 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 18:53

For once, I'll be happy if the House Republicans shoot down this piece of legislation haha

Political gridlock FTW? (in this case)

#10 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,211 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:01

If you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't worry. Then again why would I want anyone to read my personal emails. This is getting out of hands.

I'm going to put a camera in your bedroom. If you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't worry.

#11 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:04

Don't let no one fool you, but both major parties have been calling for this for a very long time. Nothing new to see here.

#12 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,900 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:07

The Democrats get scarier every day. Not because they want to increase the size of government and take all of your rights away, but because they do so under the guise of laws that they claim will help YOU out... LOL It's so unbelievably shady.

#13 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

• 2,088 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:09

The Democrats get scarier every day. Not because they want to increase the size of government and take all of your rights away, but because they do so under the guise of laws that they claim will help YOU out... LOL It's so unbelievably shady.

Republicans would have done the same. Same ****

#14 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:10

My grandfather was a freemason...and it's not what you think it is.

Posted Image

I'm in the Stonecutters.

#15 Neowon

Neowon

Neowinian

• 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:15

I'm going to put a camera in your bedroom. If you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't worry.

Whoa, El creepo. I get your point.