Photo

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 3,108 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:06

True... It's like saying that we were made by god, but actually just changing it's name.

Yea, which is why its strange that a lot of atheists that mock religion are attracted to ancient alien stories as credible.

For the record, a scientific explanation for the origin of things has the same problem, too... i.e. what caused the big bang? Eventually, someone will tell you a story about infinite universes being created in a froth of multiverses. What created the multiverses? (Personally, I think people simplify the religious view, its not meant as a scientific explanation for things)

#17 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:08

Until the believers also start taking logical hurdles as well with the "Everything must have a creator"... "Ok, so who created God?"... "God is above the rulez u fool!!" crap

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:09

Anyone who believes in Aliens but insults people who believe in God are actually the dumb ones, neither beliefs have any solid proof and to believe in Aliens requires a faith in something you can not see, only from stories and discoveries throughout history, exactly like God.

Do the Alien believers have an Alien Bible ?

#19 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 3,108 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:16

Until the believers also start taking logical hurdles as well with the "Everything must have a creator"... "Ok, so who created God?"... "God is above the rulez u fool!!" crap

Thing is, in my view, 'God' is never meant as any kind of scientific answer to anything. Its just a way to personify the philosophical idea of a 'first cause'. People believe that there must be a first cause, religious people believe it can't be something material, physical, because anything physical or material can't be pre-existing, by any logical reasoning. Asking what created God is as pointless as asking what created the 'first cause'.

The problem is when people take 'God' too literally and don't understand its just a personification. And religious people do that too, a lot; take things way too literally. Which is a mistake on their part. But when atheists take it literally too, they're committing the same error, in my view.

#20 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,155 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:17

Another kick in the balls to the religious crowd :3

If this assertion is valid, then religion would have been destroyed a long time ago when we found out we are 50-60% identical to bananas.

The two has no relevance in my opinion other than for people who have an unhealthy obsession to "kick religion in the balls" when anything comes up.

#21 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:17

Anyone who believes in Aliens but insults people who believe in God are actually the dumb ones, neither beliefs have any solid proof and to believe in Aliens requires a faith in something you can not see, only from stories and discoveries throughout history, exactly like God.

I don't believe in Alien crap. The bible is actually worse than believing in aliens because it tells you how to behave in the absurdity of rules from 2.000 years ago, which are actually not fully obeyed, because the ignorance and the wise side of us play together only to filter what the believer wants to believe or not.
It is a total nonsense that grows in generations...

#22 zeta_immersion

zeta_immersion

Neowinian Senior

• 3,207 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:28

quick someone manipulate some monkey dna and get them to talk ... cheap labour ...

these stupid governments and red tape ... who knows what we could have achieved by now through human dna manipulation

#23 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• 5,685 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:36

Is it Gene Simmons? He seems to be the missing link ....

#24 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 3,108 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:47

because the ignorance and the wise side of us play together only to filter what the believer wants to believe or not.

Sounds like what most people do with science, too. People filter out what scientific evidence they don't like and only accept the evidence they do like. Which I see all the time. And that includes a lot of superstitious kind of beliefs, I see superstition passed off as science all the time.

There are two parts to major aspects to religious belief, anyway -- religious philosophy, and the stories, parables, etc., which are examples of the philosophy. The Bible is like literature, you have to separate the meaning from the details. And from what I've experienced, most people who are religious don't believe something just because their book says it, just like science evangelists don't believe something just because a textbook says it.

#25 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,701 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:49

Thing is, in my view, 'God' is never meant as any kind of scientific answer to anything. Its just a way to personify the philosophical idea of a 'first cause'. People believe that there must be a first cause, religious people believe it can't be something material, physical, because anything physical or material can't be pre-existing, by any logical reasoning. Asking what created God is as pointless as asking what created the 'first cause'.

http://yourlogicalfa...pecial-pleading

#26 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:51

The problem is when people take 'God' too literally and don't understand its just a personification. And religious people do that too, a lot; take things way too literally. Which is a mistake on their part. But when atheists take it literally too, they're committing the same error, in my view.

The problem is, most creationists don't present it as a philosophical idea of a first cause, they present it as "<insert name of holy book here> says so, therefore it's true"

Sounds like what most people do with science, too. People filter out what scientific evidence they don't like and only accept the evidence they do like. Which I see all the time. And that includes a lot of superstitious kind of beliefs, I see superstition passed off as science all the time.

There are two parts to major aspects to religious belief, anyway -- religious philosophy, and the stories, parables, etc., which are examples of the philosophy. The Bible is like literature, you have to separate the meaning from the details. And from what I've experienced, most people who are religious don't believe something just because their book says it, just like science evangelists don't believe something just because a textbook says it.

Completely false. Any real scientists out frauds within their ranks faster than any creationist will.

#27 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 3,108 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:55

The problem is, most creationists don't present it as a philosophical idea of a first cause, they present it as "<insert name of holy book here> says so, therefore it's true"

I don't think there are are as many people who say "the bible says it, so its true" as people think there are, so I don't worry about that. Most religious people aren't like that.

http://yourlogicalfa...pecial-pleading

Ok.

What created cause-and-effect? If you can't answer that, give up your belief in cause-and-effect, and if you don't, you're doing logical pleading.

#28 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,988 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:57

If Aliens engineered us, that would make them god to us.

100% correct

#29 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 3,108 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:57

Completely false. Any real scientists out frauds within their ranks faster than any creationist will.

It has nothing to do with fraud. Spontaneous generation was once a very popular theory in science, and germ theory was criticized for 400 years as idiotic before scientists accepted it.

And I'm not talking about scientists, but people on the street who say they have all their opinions from science, and it turns out they have a lot of really silly, sketchy ideas.

#30 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,988 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:59

aliens are not a belief but rather a theory based on mathematics and probabilities.