• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.102

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:25

Very interesting. I have a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7. What would the benfit of using that ROM on my phone or tablet be? Aesthetics? speed?

I wouldn't recommend using custom ROMs on your Nexus devices, at least not at this time. Custom rom makers have yet to sync their roms with the latest Android versions, the Cyanogenmod team has barely even started working on CM10.1 and so does MIUI, you may use a 'tweaked' version of your stock rom or any rom based on the stock images but shall you use an other roms you'll be facing some nasty bugs especially considering that the Nexus 4 is a rather new device. There is hardly even any performance difference between stock Android 4.2 and other aftermarket roms.

#17 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:16

:) I wasn't trying to argue or disprove anything you said, just commenting my experience with XDA, stock is probably great for most people, just nice to have devs when you need them like in my case

I flashed a custom ROM to my Lumia and fairly quickly returned to stock, stock was a much nicer experience

Yeah :) I was on CM9 on my note 1 and then Samsung catched up with real nice features and I came back. But indie devs are much faster on fixing small bugs. I'm also glad they exist and manage to spare their time even if they don't get any money for that. ;)

#18 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:18

I love WP8 as a mobile OS. I think it's a great alternative for people who are looking to buying an iPhone. Personally, neither WP8 or iOS cater to my needs, and Android has introduced me to certain features that I now can't live without.

#19 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:37

I wouldn't recommend using custom ROMs on your Nexus devices, at least not at this time. Custom rom makers have yet to sync their roms with the latest Android versions, the Cyanogenmod team has barely even started working on CM10.1 and so does MIUI, you may use a 'tweaked' version of your stock rom or any rom based on the stock images but shall you use an other roms you'll be facing some nasty bugs especially considering that the Nexus 4 is a rather new device. There is hardly even any performance difference between stock Android 4.2 and other aftermarket roms.

I might agree with you if you're talking big custom rom makers like CM and roms based on CM, but in most cases rom devs start making from AOSP source as soon as it's dropped. Most of these devs are also able to fix bugs before Google releases a new update (ie the December bug) and are able to add new little features without detracting too much from being an AOSP rom. Bottom line is there are plenty of reasons to use a custom rom on Nexus devices, though maybe not something like CM right away.

#20 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:54

The 920 is a sexy phone. Makes me wish google would have bought Nokia instead of Motorola

Imagine a Nokia Nexus phone O.O

Edited by Roxkis, 25 November 2012 - 22:08.

#21 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:00

The 920 is a sexy phone. Makes me wish google would have bought Nokia instead of Microsoft.

Imagine a Nokia Nexus phone O.O

Microsoft bought Nokia? That's news to me. :p

#22 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:09

Microsoft bought Nokia? That's news to me. :p

lol Yeah i had a brain fart