• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• 1,702 posts
  • Phone: i9001-CM12-5.0.1 - Kernel 3.4.105

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:43

Intel kills off the desktop, PCs go with it. What will we do if we can't upgrade our rigs?

Broadwell will not come in an LGA package, so no removable CPU. The most direct effect is that of Broadwell, the 14nm successor to next year’s Haswell CPU, will essentially shut out the enthusiast. Motherboards will still be available, but the CPUs that come with them will be soldered down. In addition to being a inventory management nightmare, OEMs won’t buy CPUs any more, the few remaining mobo vendors and ODMs will. As a side effect, it also cuts the enthusiast out of the picture for good, but more on that later.

http://semiaccurate....pcs-go-with-it/

#2 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

• 1,365 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:46

What a stupid idea... They should solder the memory too if they want to push the non-sense to the limit.

I can't wait to have to replace my motherboard AND my CPU because of a motherboard problem.

#3 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,516 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:50

I can't believe this is actually going to happen. The enthusiast market is very lucrative to Intel. Average consumers aren't buying K processors or Black edition CPUs.

If this actually did come around I can see AMD getting a lot of marketshare pretty quickly.

#4 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• 3,944 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:53

AMD is our last hope...

*fuq*

#5 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,862 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:54

You have got to be kidding me. If this really does happen I can definitely see AMD making a comeback, in a big big way.

#6 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,228 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:00

If this is true i'm glad AMD is still around.

What a stupid idea... They should solder the memory too if they want to push the non-sense to the limit.

I can't wait to have to replace my motherboard AND my CPU because of a motherboard problem.

Why not the GPU too? It would make sense. Everything soldered to the MB without any PCI-E slot.

#7 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,931 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:01

What a shame. Maybe AMD can fill the void?

#8 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:17

Since they nearly destroyed that nascent market with Nehalem, and have since progressively removed any features the enthusiast cares about while jacking the cost to buy them back to untenable levels, enthusiasts have become an endangered species.

Right, that i5 k series I bought for $150 was sooo expensive and locked down. :rolleyes:

I also a) don't believe this, as I don't think Intel can meet motherboard demand for that market, and b) don't really see it as a big deal if it's true. Intel has been socket crazy lately anyway, and except for overclocking the crap out of it, I've never seen a CPU die.

#9 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,862 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:18

If this is true i'm glad AMD is still around.

Why not the GPU too? It would make sense. Everything soldered to the MB without any PCI-E slot.

GPU will be done via this too seeing as the mainstream CPU's currently have onboard graphics on them.

AFAIK this will not effect the top end CPU's, the successor to socket 2011 and such.

My guess is they want mainstream (current socket 1155 people) to move to SoC hardware, which is where this comes in. They know people with top end hardware based on socket 1366 and socket 2011 would NEVER move to SoC. Granted 1155 machines are damn powerful, but 2011 is really in another category when it comes to applications that require more cores etc...

#10 ncoday

ncoday

Neowinian

• 1,194 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:20

Seriously people?? You believe a news site called "SemiAccurate"??

I would believe it if it were being covered by a reputable site such as Toms Hardware or similar.

#11 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,399 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:23

This doesn't surprise me. Now that desktop PC sales are slowing, it's in their best interest to pump out mobo/chip solutions for OEMs who do massive business sales (Dell in particular).

#12 Spartan Erik

Spartan Erik

Neowinian

• 831 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:23

Face it guys, us enthusiasts don't make up the majority of the market. I figure this decision will mostly affect OEM machines, I still imagine custom builds will be possible, but they might cost a bit more

#13 Manarift

Manarift

Neowinian

• 229 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:24

I do not think they will fuse the cpu onto the motherboard too many red flags would kick up and so many business will be lost if that happens and along with jobs.

#14 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

That's no way to treat a lady!

• 1,287 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:24

When I read the title before coming into this thread I thought that Intel were going to introduce some sort of universal socket for all their future CPU's and was quite happy about that. Not only was i disapointed that this wasn't the case; I now find out that in the future I have buy a new MOBO for if I want a new CPU.

Double downer.

#15 enroh

enroh

Neowinian

• 399 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6+

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:36

AMD is our last hope...

*fuq*

...no there is another...