• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

• 4,344 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:17

http://news.cnet.com...to-react-to-us/

Okay, so I know that they sold 400,000 Wii U in the first week of US sales (total 1.2m sold), but really?? Microsoft and Sony need to react to Nintendo? I was under the impression that Nintendo was just trying to catchup with MS and Sony, GFX wise (HD console in 2012!)...

I guess in a way, they did react. It's because of the Wii that we now have Kinect and Sony Move.

Should MS and Sony plan on using a tablet gamepad for their next console?

I guess Sony could do a "dummy" version of the PS Vita, without a CPU/GPU and call that their new gamepad for the PS4. Because, lets be honest, the Move is not that successful...

Will Kinect 2.0 be enough for Microsoft?

#2 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:20

I can't stand the smugness of this ****. Every time I see him I wanna punch him square in the face.

Both manufacturers are going to leave them for dust once the next generation hits, the WiiU is barely more powerful than current generation. Xbox has Smartglass and Sony could possibly use the Vita in a similar fashion.

I don't think that they are going to be so naive this time around. They made a huge mistake by passing on motion gaming only to introduce their half baked versions mid life cycle.

'next gen' is going to be a very interesting battle.

#3 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,561 posts
  • Phone: HTC Mozart

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:40

How well is the Wii U being received? All I read was negative press about the launch day 5GB firmware image... haven't heard any glowing reviews as yet!

#4 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:42

I don't know but from what I've read it's not going so good, massive day one firmware download, slow menus, freezing OS, games sometimes not loading and freezing.

#5 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,075 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6 JB

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:57

http://www.gizmodo.c...-in-good-hands/

Excellent review. But after reading it it seems that the Wii-U and Nintendo in general are a generation behind.
They have the power to make something really good and innovative, but the Wii-U won't sell anywhere near what the PS4 and Xbox3 will.

#6 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,593 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:57

the firmware was actually 1gb it just decompresses to 5gb when installing. The menus are laggy and tv wii isn't enabled yet, over than that is seems to be well received. I'm hoping Unreal 4 engine supports the wii u, they said it could but haven't decided to support it. Once engines and developers maximise the potential of the wii u the graphics will outclass the 360/ps3.

#7 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,270 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:58

Okay, so I know that they sold 400,000 Wii U in the first week of US sales (total 1.2m sold), but really?? Microsoft and Sony need to react to Nintendo? I was under the impression that Nintendo was just trying to catchup with MS and Sony, GFX wise (HD console in 2012!)...

I guess in a way, they did react. It's because of the Wii that we now have Kinect and Sony Move.

I guess Sony could do a "dummy" version of the PS Vita, without a CPU/GPU and call that their new gamepad for the PS4. Because, lets be honest, the Move is not that successful...

If current rumors are true Microsoft will be either including a tablet with the next xbox OR coming out with an xbox gaming tablet. So they are reacting to them already.

#8 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• 1,225 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:06

It's only 400k right before Christmas. Christmas can sell anything including Vita. Lets see what the numbers are in April 2013. Nintendo needs to react to all the consoles locking up. They need to focus on that before they focus on their competition.

#9 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,647 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:08

Windows 8 Tablet + Xbox. As if it's not going to happen. I mean, we already have them playing with SmartGlass.

#10 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• 8,054 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:17

Indeed they do. Put out a product that is the exact opposite of the WiiU and they should be good to go.

#11 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,462 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:38

If I was Microsoft or Sony, my reaction would be, "LOL".

#12 68k

Neowinian

• 1,374 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:01

The main thing is that my SNES and 64 are still working...

#13 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,782 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:23

i got a chance to play with a WII u the other day ... NOT IMPRESSED ! at all the system in general seemed very slow ..

#14 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,076 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:52

Sega tried putting an LCD into a control pad, it didn't work.
3-4hrs of battery life before needing a recharge? It's not really a success.

#15 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

• 1,049 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:52

If the next Xbox and PlayStation are "greatly improved" in comparison to the Wii U, then I feel bad for checkbooks. In the case of Microsoft, the consumer will bleed money. Opposite holds true for Sony.

Seriously people, you aren't going to get an amazing leap like last generation. We are not going to get dual-GPU, eight core CPUs, and 16GB of RAM in the next Sony/MS console; the tech is just too expensive. Nintendo, despite the hardware in the Wii U (it's not lackluster as far as early diagnostics have shown, but let's say it is), is losing money on each console sold. They recoup it on the sale of one game, but that goes to show that new technology is expensive!

Nintendo innovated, that's what they do now. I give them credit; they know that simply upgrading hardware is not going to print money like many people think it will. MiiVerse, for example, is a great experience in games it's integrated into (Nintendoland, for example). The second screen helps innovate gameplay, regardless of if it is a gimmick or not. SmartGlass is not going to be in every game; the GamePad is going to be. The Vita is not going to be in every game; the GamePad will be. See the difference? The Sony and Microsoft alternatives are not integrated into the experience.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!