Nintendo's Fils-Aime: Microsoft, Sony need to react to us

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57554148-235/nintendos-fils-aime-microsoft-sony-need-to-react-to-us/

Okay, so I know that they sold 400,000 Wii U in the first week of US sales (total 1.2m sold), but really?? Microsoft and Sony need to react to Nintendo? I was under the impression that Nintendo was just trying to catchup with MS and Sony, GFX wise (HD console in 2012!)...

I guess in a way, they did react. It's because of the Wii that we now have Kinect and Sony Move.

Should MS and Sony plan on using a tablet gamepad for their next console?

I guess Sony could do a "dummy" version of the PS Vita, without a CPU/GPU and call that their new gamepad for the PS4. Because, lets be honest, the Move is not that successful...

Will Kinect 2.0 be enough for Microsoft?

I can't stand the smugness of this ****. Every time I see him I wanna punch him square in the face.

Both manufacturers are going to leave them for dust once the next generation hits, the WiiU is barely more powerful than current generation. Xbox has Smartglass and Sony could possibly use the Vita in a similar fashion.

I don't think that they are going to be so naive this time around. They made a huge mistake by passing on motion gaming only to introduce their half baked versions mid life cycle.

'next gen' is going to be a very interesting battle.

How well is the Wii U being received? All I read was negative press about the launch day 5GB firmware image... haven't heard any glowing reviews as yet!

I don't know but from what I've read it's not going so good, massive day one firmware download, slow menus, freezing OS, games sometimes not loading and freezing.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/11/wii-u-review-the-future-is-in-good-hands/

Excellent review. But after reading it it seems that the Wii-U and Nintendo in general are a generation behind.

They have the power to make something really good and innovative, but the Wii-U won't sell anywhere near what the PS4 and Xbox3 will.

the firmware was actually 1gb it just decompresses to 5gb when installing. The menus are laggy and tv wii isn't enabled yet, over than that is seems to be well received. I'm hoping Unreal 4 engine supports the wii u, they said it could but haven't decided to support it. Once engines and developers maximise the potential of the wii u the graphics will outclass the 360/ps3.

http://news.cnet.com...to-react-to-us/

Okay, so I know that they sold 400,000 Wii U in the first week of US sales (total 1.2m sold), but really?? Microsoft and Sony need to react to Nintendo? I was under the impression that Nintendo was just trying to catchup with MS and Sony, GFX wise (HD console in 2012!)...

I guess in a way, they did react. It's because of the Wii that we now have Kinect and Sony Move.

I guess Sony could do a "dummy" version of the PS Vita, without a CPU/GPU and call that their new gamepad for the PS4. Because, lets be honest, the Move is not that successful...

If current rumors are true Microsoft will be either including a tablet with the next xbox OR coming out with an xbox gaming tablet. So they are reacting to them already.

http://news.cnet.com...to-react-to-us/

It's only 400k right before Christmas. Christmas can sell anything including Vita. Lets see what the numbers are in April 2013. Nintendo needs to react to all the consoles locking up. They need to focus on that before they focus on their competition.

Sega tried putting an LCD into a control pad, it didn't work.

3-4hrs of battery life before needing a recharge? It's not really a success.

If the next Xbox and PlayStation are "greatly improved" in comparison to the Wii U, then I feel bad for checkbooks. In the case of Microsoft, the consumer will bleed money. Opposite holds true for Sony.

Seriously people, you aren't going to get an amazing leap like last generation. We are not going to get dual-GPU, eight core CPUs, and 16GB of RAM in the next Sony/MS console; the tech is just too expensive. Nintendo, despite the hardware in the Wii U (it's not lackluster as far as early diagnostics have shown, but let's say it is), is losing money on each console sold. They recoup it on the sale of one game, but that goes to show that new technology is expensive!

Nintendo innovated, that's what they do now. I give them credit; they know that simply upgrading hardware is not going to print money like many people think it will. MiiVerse, for example, is a great experience in games it's integrated into (Nintendoland, for example). The second screen helps innovate gameplay, regardless of if it is a gimmick or not. SmartGlass is not going to be in every game; the GamePad is going to be. The Vita is not going to be in every game; the GamePad will be. See the difference? The Sony and Microsoft alternatives are not integrated into the experience.

http://www.gizmodo.c...-in-good-hands/

Excellent review. But after reading it it seems that the Wii-U and Nintendo in general are a generation behind.

They have the power to make something really good and innovative, but the Wii-U won't sell anywhere near what the PS4 and Xbox3 will.

I'm no Nintendo fanboy at all, but have you looked at this gen's sales?

Nintendo will continue to have a successful business model appealing to casual gamers, those on a budget and children, while Microsoft and Sony will continue to push graphical advancements and core-gaming. They are going after very different segments of the market.

Still, it's bizarre that Nintendo would come out and make such a claim when even casual observers of the market can see that's simply not the case. With the Wii, Nintendo had a surprise hit on their hands because of compelling emergent gameplay but that was almost entirely due to Wii Sports and Wii Fit - very few other games sold in any quantities and the attach-rate was considerably lower than that of Sony and Microsoft. With the Wii U it's clear that Nintendo is desperately trying to recreate the success of the Wii but it's just not as compelling an offering - tablet gameplay has already been done before (much better as well) and it's always going to be an uphill struggle promoting asymmetric gameplay due to the fact it requires multiple players.

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo had anywhere near as much success as they did with the Wii. It looks more like a 3DS-style failure.

The Mario launch title alone, is just total fail! We want a Mario game that will WOW us like Mario Galaxy did for the Wii and Mario 64 did for the Nintendo 64....and the Mario launch title for the wii u? What is this crap!?

actually I think you'll find that there are more people who want classical mario gameplay than the stupid 3D crap they started with with the wannabe 3D consoles and kept going with.

Aren't they selling Wii U at loss this time? I guess they need to catch up with Sony/MS in software sales not the other way round.

The Mario launch title alone, is just total fail! We want a Mario game that will WOW us like Mario Galaxy did for the Wii and Mario 64 did for the Nintendo 64....and the Mario launch title for the wii u? What is this crap!?

actually I think you'll find that there are more people who want classical mario gameplay than the stupid 3D crap they started with with the wannabe 3D consoles and kept going with.

Yeah, just as hawkMan points out, I have to respectfully disagree with you warwagon. I think the new Super Mario U is just fine exactly as it is.

Letting my wife watch whatever TV she wants, and having the option to play the game on the GamePad, well from my perspective, it does not get much better.

Now I fully admit I just do not have time to dedicate towards playing video games like I once did, however I really think I would feel the same exact way that I do even if I was playing games 8 hours a day.

So now that I have just 1 day had over a week of hands on time with the WiiU, I do pretty much understand what he is saying with this comment.

I do also think it needs to be stated that people are reading way to much into the comment as well.

Obviously the PS4 and NextBox are going to be graphically superior to the WiiU, everyone knows this.

However with the addition of the WiiU, Nintendo has added an additional layer to console gaming when it is used properly.

So all he is saying is now Sony & Microsoft need to do the same.

Now what he fails to mention is naturally MS has Kinect, which I think it is a pretty safe bet to say is going to be deeply integrated into the next XBox experience, so MS they have it.

I highly doubt Sony is going to consider Move to be their additional experience, but I also think that perhaps they may not come up with anything else along these lines, and just keep it more traditional. Wether this winds up hurting them or not remains to be seen, but I do think there are those people who will still want just the pure untampered gaming experience of just a controller. At least for the foreseeable future. I really think a whole lot depends on if MS makes Kinect something next level or not.

So yeah, at the end of the day he was pretty much talking out of his ass, but this is what the heads of companies do, make their company seem to be the one that is running things.

I have to respectfully disagree with you warwagon. I think the new Super Mario U is just fine exactly as it is.

Letting my wife watch whatever TV she wants, and having the option to play the game on the GamePad, well from my perspective, it does not get much better.

Now I fully admit I just do not have time to dedicate towards playing video games like I once did, however I really think I would feel the same exact way that I do even if I was playing games 8 hours a day.

ya it looks good, but it looks just a little better than the wii version. it doesn't look next gen. I wouldn't buy a wii U just to play it.

The new 2D Mario game looks ok but I don't see any of the charm that Mario 3 and Super Mario World had when they came out. It was good on the Wii but then came New Super Mario Bros. for the DS and New Super Mario Bros.2 and they kind of look the same. I don't want Paper Mario to be the only 2D Mario game where they try different things. They can still have the 2D Mario formula but bring something new. I will get a Wii U later on and I hope I am wrong about this game.

ya it looks good, but it looks just a little better than the wii version. it doesn't look next gen. I wouldn't buy a wii U just to play it.

I hadn't actually checked out any gameplay footage before today, and you're right - it doesn't even look like X360/PS3 gen. Very disappointing. And Wii Fit U looks barely any different from Wii Fit - not what you'd expect for a generation leap. Unfortunately developers are complaining that the CPU in the Wii U is considerably slower than that of the current gen consoles, so it looks like another under-specced console from Nintendo that will struggle to remain relevant. It seems to be on par with the X360/PS3, which are chronically dated in comparison to the PC.

The tablet-controller was a desperate gamble to recreate the success of the Wii and I really don't think it will pay off. For starters, Nintendo is having to sell the console at a loss which is something it didn't do with the Wii. Unless Nintendo can dramatically increase the software attach rate it will be sidelined by the main publishers.

Black ops comparisons basically say the games either look identical or slightly worse on the wii, BUT the wii suffers from frame drops and lower frame rate during the whole game than the tether older consoles.

As for the tablet, I share the opinion of several reviewers. When it's doing things you can do just as well or better by hitting a button on the controller or using the sticks, then it's turning into a gimmick. This basically describes all of ZombieU. A game that would have been just as good if not better with a regular controller and would have worked exactly the same. Except you wouldn't have split immersion across two screens for no purpose whatsoever.