Photo

Are You Tracked?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Tracking Around the World

Do You Allow Yourself to be Tracked?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,750 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:18

I picked "on the whole, no".

I don't use things like Foursquare, I don't add my location to tweets or facebook.
I allow Android to find me for things like the weather and maps but other optional things are turned off. I guess I just don't see the need in being fully traceable nearly all the time with everything although I can see the fun in things like Foursquare.

Are you still concerned with privacy and who/what companies know where you are?

Pick the option closest to you.

#2 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,530 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:20

I use do not track whenever I get the option, but like you (in one respect) I allow android to track my location, but that's also partly to weather info and using my phone as a sat nav (gps)

#3 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,769 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:21

More often than not I'm tagged at a place I'm at (Facebook). I stopped using Foursquare ages ago.

I picked the 50% option. I also allow location aware apps on iOS (weather etc).

#4 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:26

I am, but that's because I like the option of finding where my equipment is if someone takes it, and having contextual information presented while I travel.

#5 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,189 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:38

always NO, but I know that doesn't even matter, because we are always tracked, somehow, someway by the "man"......... :rainbow:

#6 xpablo

xpablo

XPablo

• 2,914 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:58

Rarely, I use Do Not Track plus and have GPS on my phone shutoff, sometimes I will allow an app access, but never Facebook or Twitter.

I just don't see the need for my location to be known, It's bad enough my IP address can be used to locate the general area that I'm in.

#7 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:59

I'm not paranoid, I don't mind services knowing where I am as long as it's not publicly shared. I draw the line where anyone in the world could know exactly where abouts I am at any one time (with a high degree of confidence), as this could be used to break-in to my home when I'm not there.

#8 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:03

always NO, but I know that doesn't even matter, because we are always tracked, somehow, someway by the "man"......... :rainbow:

Haha, this is me as well. Although sometimes people check me in places on FB and it posts even though I've asked FB to prompt me to approve those things... :angry:
*paranoid ninja-wannabe*

#9 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,189 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:29

Haha, this is me as well. Although sometimes people check me in places on FB and it posts even though I've asked FB to prompt me to approve those things... :angry:
*paranoid ninja-wannabe*

haha, ahh, facebook is the worst at everything, just the amount of info about you on there is scary :pinch:

#10 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:32

No. I use TPLs and stay away from all Google and Facebook services.

#11 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:35

Um, maybe you should be asking if you are 'legally' tracked online. US/EU/CA have been capturing EVERY packet online for at least 10 years now... They know whats going on, but can't action a thing until they make their method of data capture legal for prosecution.

haha, ahh, facebook is the worst at everything, just the amount of info about you on there is scary :pinch:

The amount of info facebook has on people who don't even use the service is scary. Lets not talk about those who post every little thing that happens in their life. Sad when you get texts and emails from facebook but never provided them with either piece of information. Guess those facebook chats are a great thing!

#12 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:40

I'm pretty sure I am... I've been leaving a trail of reeses peices behind me all my life.

#13 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,629 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:43

You can turn 'off' all these options, but there are so many ways to track a people (outside of technology). If someone wants to find you, they will - it's just a matter of time.

#14 mmjm

mmjm

Neowinian

• 123 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:43

Your cell phone company tracks you whether or not you have GPS enabled via cell tower tracking.
Your bank/credit card company tracks your purchase history. Stores you buy stuff at track what you buy and build profile.
If you walk into a Walmart they watch you, even time how long it takes you from stopping at an isle to pick up an item and put it in your cart
Whether your name is attached to a profile or not, tracking is happening.

Axciom is famous for saying they know more about the average American than the average American knows about themselves.

On the other side, as someone who buys online advertising - when I buy an audience profile I haven't the foggiest idea who these people are whatsoever. What's funny, or not since i'm paying for it, often times buying 25-30 year olds to see my ads is actually 40+ year old moms. Go figure

#15 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:57

I'm fine with being tracked. It enriches my social experiences. If a company wants to know where I am, then they're welcome to. :p