• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,614 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:26

Why are you even a reporter at a tech site, it seems you hate everything that's newer then the year 2000
You should find something better to do, because trolling these forums is getting boring for all of us!

I've never even seem him write any articles on the front page or neogamr, and i've went searching through the articles with no success 0_o

#17 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,911 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:33

I've never even seem him write any articles on the front page or neogamr, and i've went searching through the articles with no success 0_o

didn't see one either but he has the title of reporter so I assume he must have written something
I just find it very weird that somebody with the title of reporter really seems to hate all new tech

#18 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• 1,691 posts
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.96

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:36

They're basically shooting themselves in the foot, going out of their release cycle would imply a lesser adoption of the OS especially when it comes to businesses.

#19 bitbucket

bitbucket

Neowinian Senior

• 3,947 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 00:32

I'm not sure that i agree with you yowanvista, maybe a faster release cycle will result in a faster adoption rate for larger corporations. They'll still be behind but it will eliminate the 10 year wait from going XP > 7

#20 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• 1,691 posts
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.96

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:03

I'm not sure that i agree with you yowanvista, maybe a faster release cycle will result in a faster adoption rate for larger corporations. They'll still be behind but it will eliminate the 10 year wait from going XP > 7

Could be, in some cases but a lot of large enterprises are still using XP (and even Windows 2000). Some are just starting to test/prepare their software for a Windows 7 deployment. I really don't see why they would jump on Windows 8 atm given that they'd probably have to run a whole bunch of training sessions for their employees, the learning curve is quite steep from Windows 7 > Windows 8 and frankly speaking Metro UI/touchscreen stuff doesn't really find its place on buisiness PC. The average joe may love the new concept but enterprises are rather reluctant to even consider deploying Windows 8.

#21 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,443 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:26

You know we are approaching the end of the "personal" computing when news outlets start to refer to Windows as the " next-generation Windows client".

Windows has always been a client OS, dude. Not sure what you mean by that.

At this point, I'm looking forward to use a more mature ReactOS project and a DOSBox build capable of running the older (pre-NT) Windows version with ease.

You do that. Tell 1995 I said hello.

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:30

There might be some truth in that, too. Somewhere in there Microsoft is going to have to release an enterprise version, though.

#23 bitbucket

bitbucket

Neowinian Senior

• 3,947 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:02

@yowanvista - I completely agree. i've come from a large enterprise where they only just started rolling out Windows 7 and its still in early phases so i know exactly what your saying. Corporate HQ in the US has moved over to 7 as far as i understand but this particular Australian arm (~4500) employees are still predominantly XP due to incompatibilities with current systems.

@Growled - No doubt about it an enterprise friendly edition will need to come.

This is imho BUT.. I can tell you right now a "metro" version of an Outbound dialler for a call center/collections business would be AWESOME. These are traditionally a crappy GUI that pulls info from a t system like visionplus or cardpac to make things easier/quicker for agents. With yearly updates and a leaner release cycle I think microsoft might be able to slowly sway larger corps over by addressing there needs.

Barring enthusiasts, People will learn what they need to know in order to do their role i don't think it is that much of a big deal.

#24 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,397 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:18

That's something else I didn't even think of. What I thought would be a big boom is in terms of POS systems. So many are touchscreen now with as you said, ugly GUIs.

#25 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

• 1,175 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:47

There might be some truth in that, too. Somewhere in there Microsoft is going to have to release an enterprise version, though.

Yeah, I could see them doing what, for instance, Ubuntu (and a lot of Linux distros) does - have the consumer releases that come out relatively often (once or twice a year), and then have long-term support releases that are supported for 5 years so that large corporations, universities, etc. don't have to do a massive computer update every six months.