Photo

Screen goes black and only has the mouse pointer(Help)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:06

So I am running Windows 8 Pro
All of a sudden more like the past 2 weeks.., it has stopped starting up properly
I gets past the bios, shows the Windows logo and then before the login page(Lock screen) appears, the screen goes black and only has the mouse pointer which I can still move.
I have tried doing Startup repair, couldnt fix the issue at all.
Whats more odd. If I can shutting it down and rebooting it. It would manage to get to the lock screen after 4 - 7 reboots. Now I'm scare to shut it down because when I do. It would turn off my display and act as if it shuts down but I can still hear it being on. Reboots do in fact work but than I have to be lucky in order to get to the lock screen.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue? The reason I'm asking because I had to seriously keep turning it on and off like 30 times and got lucky. I shouldnt have to do this. :(

#2 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Neowinian Antique

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:27

:wacko: tiny font is tiny....my eyes!

Sounds, to me, like a driver issue. Maybe video or chipset? Have you tried to update your chipset drivers and/or update the bios? Just throwing that out there....so don't yell at me if that didn't help, hehe

#3 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:31

Could be a bad sector on the hard drive.

#4 Guest_xiphi_*

Guest_xiphi_*

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:42

Sounds like it's thinking you have more than one display. Try pressing WinKey + P (you'll have to release the keys for it to switch) to cycle through the displays. There's at least 4 options: extend, duplicate, display 1, display 2.

#5 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:46

Idk if its the display or not. I did press enter and than type in my password as if I can see it and tried Alt ctr del and still nothing.

#6 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:51

:wacko: tiny font is tiny....my eyes!

Sounds, to me, like a driver issue. Maybe video or chipset? Have you tried to update your chipset drivers and/or update the bios? Just throwing that out there....so don't yell at me if that didn't help, hehe

Well I run Live Update 5 which scans my computer for driver updates and Bios updates that MSI offers.

#7 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:07

This happened to me after restarting. Windows update kicked in and installed some updates.
When the system restarted, I got the same symptoms. I could see the mouse pointer, but could never get to the lock screen.

Here is how I solved it: Google kb2770917. This is one of the updates that failed to install on my system, and prevented a proper restart.

You will have to use the Shift-F8 method to get to the recovery screen and do a system restore from one of your restore points prior to the update.

Hope this helps.

#8 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:33

Well my restore points are gone so I cant do that. I did manage to uninstall it in control panel. From what I read on google that update ( kb2770917 ) is suppose to fix performance issues :\ strange how it did nothing but screw up my system.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!