Photo

I Took The Plunge To Android Land...Oh Boy.

galaxy note 2

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:54

Congrats! Good thing you have the quad core to make up for the slow performing OS.

Android is no iOS. It is a bit slow at some things, yes. Google has a long way to go before they can match the rock solid feel of iOS. Android just feels flimsy.

#32 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:02

Sorry but I would have gone with the S3. More phone than the Note 2. Way too big.

#33 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:26

Sorry but I would have gone with the S3. More phone than the Note 2. Way too big.

How is the S3 more phone if it has inferior hardware? Please explain

#34 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:30

How is the S3 more phone if it has inferior hardware? Please explain

Not inferior, similar, the number of cores is not as big a deal, yet, and in some cases the chip in my S3 outperforms the chip in the Note2, and sometimes it doesn't. Other than size they are essentially side grades, unless you really want a stylus

#35 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:35

i was gonna say no your wrong then realised ur in USA lol

the S3 LtE over here has quad core and 2gb ram

the US version has Dual Core and 2Gb of ram. Also benchmarks the dual core performs just as well (better in some cases) as the quad core. not really sure why they gave us more ram though.

#36 aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:38

Too big for a phone based on pics I've seen but guess I need to check one out in person.

#37 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:45

Android is no iOS. It is a bit slow at some things, yes. Google has a long way to go before they can match the rock solid feel of iOS. Android just feels flimsy.

Where exactly do you think it is slow at? Care to elaborate?

I left the iPhone after the 4S, I had all other models before that, since the first one. I'm curious to know your opinion.

I think iOS is a boring OS. Everything looks always the same, no matter the number of updates you install. The only real new thing they added was the notification's stuff, even so it is so much inferior to Android's world of widgets... They're incredible and very effective.

Maybe you think Android looks flimsy because you have many options for doing the same thing. Just like Windows. :)

Too big for a phone based on pics I've seen but guess I need to check one out in person.

You'll always think it is too big, unless you own one. Then you'll start to see other phones as too small. Trust me. ;)

#38 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:56

I left the iPhone after the 4S, I had all other models before that, since the first one. I'm curious to know your opinion.

I think iOS is a boring OS. Everything looks always the same, no matter the number of updates you install. The only real new thing they added was the notification's stuff, even so it is so much inferior to Android's world of widgets... They're incredible and very effective.

Maybe you think Android looks flimsy because you have many options for doing the same thing. Just like Windows. :)

You'll always think it is too big, unless you own one. Then you'll start to see other phones as too small. Trust me. ;)

The text messenger is a bit laggy sometimes. maybe I just gotta get used to it.

#39 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:07

And yes, you are right. Once you hold one in your hands, everything else, iPhone included, feels inferior. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and the simple fact that it has a removable battery is a plus.

#40 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:28

The text messenger is a bit laggy sometimes. maybe I just gotta get used to it.

Here's a tip that'll make the UI, zooming and scrolling fly: check "Disable hardware overlays" on "Developer Options". It works great and the effect is immediately very noticeable. :D

Don't forget to turn it on again if you reboot the device!

#41 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:32

Here's a tip that'll make the UI, zooming and scrolling fly: check "Disable hardware overlays" on "Developer Options". It works great and the effect is immediately very noticeable. :D

I believe if you check "disable hardware overlays" it will actually slow down your CPU a bit, because then the system will constantly check to make sure nothing is "clipping". Having it unchecked is supposed to be faster for the phone.

Have you checked though in the same options, to enable "Force GPU Rendering"? Some older applications don't use the GPU normally, and this could speed it up.

#42 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:40

I believe if you check "disable hardware overlays" it will actually slow down your CPU a bit, because then the system will constantly check to make sure nothing is "clipping". Having it unchecked is supposed to be faster for the phone.

Have you checked though in the same options, to enable "Force GPU Rendering"? Some older applications don't use the GPU normally, and this could speed it up.

I did. But I didn't notice any improvement because I don't really use old apps...
Regarding the "Disable hardware overlays", I didn't notice any slowdown. Actually it was the exact opposite. Did you try it in real world use? Also, I got more than 200 points on Quadrant's benchmark after enabling this checkmark. It is now 6.360 points. Really amazing. :)

Anyway, there's an unnoficial 4.1.2 version for the Note 2 (beta) where Quadrant is reported to give over 7.000 points :woot:

I know Quadrant is not the most complete benchmark app, but it's fast and does give a nice overview of performance increments.

#43 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:48

Luis you are an angel. That worked great. Thanks for the tip.

#44 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:17

A great choice. I salute you. It's going to be my next phone was well.

#45 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:57

A great choice. I salute you. It's going to be my next phone was well.

It sure is different. The video camera is amazing. Better than the one on the iPhone 4S. The photos are super clear. I can see the details on people's faces so clear is not funny.

I am still trying to get used to it. So many settings and features.

One thing I do like is the fact that, even though you cannot uninstall the AT&T Bloatware garbage, Samsung does give you the option to "Disable" the application from running so that is a good thing, unless of course I root it and remove them permanently, but I don't have a clue how to do that on Android.

Any suggestions?