Fast Food Workers Launch Strikes Across New York City

Just taking one of my former employees as an example. McDonald's.

Cursory glance at wikipedia says net income was 5.5 billion. The wikipedia page states 420,000 employees. Doing a rough example of a 2000 hour work year and doing that for all the employees - $5 an hour raise comes to 4.2 billion.

Not really sure where the "going under" part comes in.

Net income != profit.

Net income is what is brought in before subtracting any costs.

They should, however, be forced to pay livable wages. The current federal minimum wage is not a livable one in most, if not all, states. In a place like New York, the price of living will be much higher which would require a higher wage to be able to afford necessities like an apartment and food.

No They shouldnt, thats a ridiculous idea.

It should be up to the individual to manage their income and expenses to be able to live, if McDonalds doesnt pay you enough money to live in Manhattan, go look for a better paying job and maybe stop trying to live in Manhattan. If no one accepts McDonalds jobs because they dont pay enough, market forces will cause them to make working there more attractive.

No one should be thinking ever that flipping burgers at McDonalds is ever going to pay the bills and allow you to live on your own, I worked there when I was 15, at no point did I have any delusions that I would be able to move out and live on my own, I knew the pay wouldn't allow for it, but I know how to do simple math.

Net income != profit.

Net income is what is brought in before subtracting any costs.

I think you are thinking of Gross income, whish is before all costs.

I think their money pains issue is mute since Obama gave McDonalds a free pass exemption on Obamacare. That's a HUGE savings. The issue is, a working wage. a wage people can subsist on. it is a service organization.

here in Alberta, night time shift worker at Mcdonalds is $20+/hr, and for those that don't have transportation, they even come pick you up for work.

That's because they need to. Alberta has a high demand for unskilled labour due to the oil sands, and drilling.. Without paying that much there would simply be no one there to work..

You know these are called ENTRY LEVEL Jobs for a reason, it's to get you started in the business world, once you outgrow it you move up in the company or to another. Can't believe some people think flipping burgers at McDonalds is a career

Businesses like those simply cannot survive paying $15/hr, the costs of the product would go up over 50%, It already costs about $20 to feed a Family of 3 at McDonalds, business will take a drastic nose dive when the same thing costs $30+

If your "Plan A" was to work at McDonalds to support yourself for the rest of your life as non-management, you REALLY need a "Plan B"

These kinds of jobs are not meant as careers, they were meant to utilize unskilled high school level labor, thats why they have internal training for all the basic jobs. Honestly, unskilled labor simply isnt worth $15/hr

You make me laugh. Actually they could afford to pay 15/ an hour and prices would not raise 50% like you said. Workers wages are only small part of the bussiness. Pries would raise slighty but not that much to really drastic change anything. To prove my point McDonalds is in many countries. Many of those workers in those countries get the equivilent to 15 dollars and hour 5 weeks paid vacation and healthcare in those countries. I have eatin at McDonalds in these countries and the prices are not that much more expensive than in the USA plus the workers are better quality being paid those wages. O my a CEO in America might have to take a small paycut wow. You Americans make me laugh when you say it can not be done and that prices are going to raise 50% lol.

America only industriazed country with NO right to healthcare.

America only Industrial country with NO right to paid vacation for workers.

America no right to right to know if your food has no GMOS or not in it as not required on label ( 61 other countries have this ).

Even workers in China get 2 weeks paid vacation and this is comparing apples to oranges cause China is 3rd world and even America does not even have this.

America only 1st world country that you can get fired for no reason and no warning in advance.

And people think America is so great lol.

Workers rights in America are a joke and non existant. I think with the internet people are becoming more educated and I think the young generation in America is starting to wake up.

Most countries have a thing called a living wage not a minimum wage. Not everyone can go to university etc. Its about caring for people at the buttom and less greed in these other countries.

America pays for this by tax payers by having the most people in prison than any other country on the planet!

I forgot also America only 1st world country to not have a right to paid maternity leave from your employer! So many rights that USA lacks I hope I listed them all. Im sure their is more I forgot.

No wonder America has become the sh(t hole to live in it is today.

$15 an hour? Are you kidding me? I'm a computer technician and the entry level pay is like $12.50 an hour for an actual skilled labour job. Who do they think they are? I'm so sick of people like this always demanding more.

America income inquality gap. Yea it is ranked with the 3rd world countries status so not a status to be proud of. Map show on link.

http://en.wikipedia....income_equality

$15 an hour? Are you kidding me? I'm a computer technician and the entry level pay is like $12.50 an hour for an actual skilled labour job. Who do they think they are? I'm so sick of people like this always demanding more.

Its beause Canada and America are low wage countries compared to many other industrliazed countries I have been to. America medium wage only seems high on paper because the billionares push the statistic way up.

No offense to you but those fast food workers work there ass off probably more than you. Plus why do you not tip them but tip workers who work at a resturant just to bring you water? Most resturants in America and Canada the food is pre cooked and they just heat it up and serve to you on a plate and you think they atually cooked it.

And if you are only paid 12.50 an hour specially in Canada cause prices are much higher there in USA. You really need to ask your employer for a pay raise my friend. They are going to pay you as low as they can as long as you take it like that in the back door and dont scream. Just market yourself well and if you have been with the company for awhile you should be deserve to pay alot more.

I guess you should be at least thanksfull you not south of the border in the USA. At least in Canada you have healthcare and 2 weeks paid vacation wich you would probably not be getting if you lived in the USA. Companeis only give healthcare in USA and paid vacation if they are "generous " enough to give it to you but Americans do not have the right like you do north of the border in Canada.

No offense to you but those fast food workers work there ass off probably more than you. Plus why do you not tip them but tip workers who work at a resturant just to bring you water? Most resturants in America and Canada the food is pre cooked and they just heat it up and serve to you on a plate and you think they atually cooked it.

Its called a minimum wage for a reason. Anyone can serve fry's at McDonalds, not everyone can troubleshoot computer network's. And have you actually worked at a restaurant? I worked at Swiss Chalet and the fry's are hand made, and chicken sure as hell ain't pre-cooked.

Its called a minimum wage for a reason. Anyone can serve fry's at McDonalds, not everyone can troubleshoot computer network's. And have you actually worked at a restaurant? I worked at Swiss Chalet and the fry's are hand made, and chicken sure as hell ain't pre-cooked.

Yes I have worked at serveral resturant as bottom guy and in management. Most of the food was frozen and just pre heated in big microwave and served on plates and the customers paid outrageous prices for it.

Not anyone can work in a resturant. If that statement was true then a paralized person could work in a resturant. Plus working in fast food is very fast pace and not every person in perfect health can do it. I have seen many people not last in the fast food or resturant industry. Like I said yes not anyone can trouble shoot networks it why you should get paid more than 12.50 an hour my friend. Man up and ask for a pay raise.

I have a friend who works at a grocery store and all he does is stock shelves ( hard work though ) and he gets paid 18.50 an hour with pension. Maybe you choose the wrong career then cause 12.50 for that work is bad.

Actually if school was free almost anyone could do your job if you eduacated them :-). Its not that hard I know your industry as well. After all this is neowin :-)

And if you are only paid 12.50 an hour specially in Canada cause prices are much higher there in USA. You really need to ask your employer for a pay raise my friend. They are going to pay you as low as they can as long as you take it like that in the back door and dont scream. Just market yourself well and if you have been with the company for awhile you should be deserve to pay alot more.

I'm not paid $12.50, I was just making a point that an entry level computer sales/service job is $12.50. Working for an actual business or school board automatically pays $60,00+ a year.

I would agree with you other than the fact that these corporations are making record profits. They pay upper staff millions. Why would they have a need to pass anything on to the customers? The employees helped you make that profit, so share some of it with them.

Of course.

The argument that people are making against you, that any increase in wages for these employees will lead to bankruptcy; closing; shareholder revolts; etc., are nonsense really. If these companies were smart, which they don't seem to be, they would pay their employees a fair wage that takes into account both keeping their costs low and ensuring their employees can actually live. If they were to do that then the unions wouldn't have a chance convincing employees to join. Unions have a potential to push their costs into a bad arena.

These companies give huge bonuses and pay increases at the top that account to hundreds of millions of dollars, so realistically, the money is there. As they are somehow able to increase pay at the top by hundreds of millions without the sky falling in on them. The problem is they can't see the forest for the trees.

Businesses like those simply cannot survive paying $15/hr, the costs of the product would go up over 50%, It already costs about $20 to feed a Family of 3 at McDonalds, business will take a drastic nose dive when the same thing costs $30+

If your "Plan A" was to work at McDonalds to support yourself for the rest of your life as non-management, you REALLY need a "Plan B"

These kinds of jobs are not meant as careers, they were meant to utilize unskilled high school level labor, thats why they have internal training for all the basic jobs. Honestly, unskilled labor simply isnt worth $15/hr

Why do you assume this is too much to pay an employee? For starters, this is occurring in NYC where the cost of living is already very high so $15/h in NYC isn't the same as $15/h in Little Plains, AR. You can also bet that the cost of a McDonalds hamburger isn't the same in those two places either.

Realistically, the employer should be sure to pay his employees a fair wage and that should not only account for how little you can get away with, but also what would allow your employees to be happy and less stressed. Everyone doesn't need to be paid $1m a year, but you should want to make sure your employees can actually live productive lives.