Windows 8 active window title text color

So did anyone figure out how to get this half assed WIndows 8 to show white text on a dark title bars on windows?

Not that I'm surprised, but releasing Windows where you can read window titles only on light themes is completely idiotic. I've tried every single thing and it's simply impossible to change the text to white so I can have dark window caption bar and dark theme?

Also, are there any other AERO like simple themes that are not butt ugly to replace this Windows 8 disaster default theme?

So did anyone figure out how to get this half assed WIndows 8 to show white text on a dark title bars on windows?

Not that I'm surprised, but releasing Windows where you can read window titles only on light themes is completely idiotic. I've tried every single thing and it's simply impossible to change the text to white so I can have dark window caption bar and dark theme?

Also, are there any other AERO like simple themes that are not butt ugly to replace this Windows 8 disaster default theme?

Use the Windows 8 Release Preview theme. It gives you the "glow" effect, where the window title text is dark against a light background, regardless of the rest of the theme colours.

Whew! At this stage in my drunkenness, I didn't tink I could type a coherent sentence.

Anyway, see here for details.

While you shouldn't HAVE to do this, grab UltraUXTheme Patcher and Windows 8 Default theme, patch the files and install the theme. You will then have the default theme with white text, for when you want a dark theme and the original for when you want dark text on a light theme.

I went one step further and made the min/max/restore buttons white as well, for that, grab Resource Hacker, open the .msstyle file, extract "STREAM -> 986 -> 0" as a .png. Use what ever image editor you like and then look for the black min/max/restore button and make paint them white, remember to save as a .png. Once saved, go back to Resource Hacker, click on the "0" and select replace resource, select your png, the RESOURCE TYPE should be "STREAM", the RESOURCE NAME is "986" and then save. Replace the original .msstyle file with the edited one and enjoy white text and white min/max buttons.

I don't know what they were thinking, not giving us the option to change the text color. Guess we desktop users better get used to getting the short end of the stick from Microsoft.

Anyway hope that helps.

While you shouldn't HAVE to do this, grab UltraUXTheme Patcher and Windows 8 Default theme, patch the files and install the theme. You will then have the default theme with white text, for when you want a dark theme and the original for when you want dark text on a light theme.

I went one step further and made the min/max/restore buttons white as well, for that, grab Resource Hacker, open the .msstyle file, extract "STREAM -> 986 -> 0" as a .png. Use what ever image editor you like and then look for the black min/max/restore button and make paint them white, remember to save as a .png. Once saved, go back to Resource Hacker, click on the "0" and select replace resource, select your png, the RESOURCE TYPE should be "STREAM", the RESOURCE NAME is "986" and then save. Replace the original .msstyle file with the edited one and enjoy white text and white min/max buttons.

I don't know what they were thinking, not giving us the option to change the text color. Guess we desktop users better get used to getting the short end of the stick from Microsoft.

Anyway hope that helps.

Well, considering they also removed the ability to change the fonts anywhere in the system, I guess it's understandable that they'd remove the other customization abilities. It's kind of sad.

Well, considering they also removed the ability to change the fonts anywhere in the system, I guess it's understandable that they'd remove the other customization abilities. It's kind of sad.

Wow, I didn't know they did that! What are they thinking? I like Windows 8 but some of this stuff is just stupid, and makes me sad that I have to edit the registry to change a font... how stupid is that? Yes, I had to search the web to find out how to do it, guess I'm lucky they didn't remove the font sizing as well.

I gotta say, Boz.

Yer gettin a bit handsomer with age.

and if the original post is any indication bitter too

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyway hope that helps.

Many thanks for this. Much appreciated. I used it and it works extremely well. I now have almost glass look black borders and title bars not to mention the start menu with readable white text.Look at my new taskbar!! :D

post-482086-0-09411100-1361322366.jpg

post-482086-0-55670600-1361322512.jpg