Neowin: A speed bump on the Information Superhighway.

Sorry, guys.

It has just become too much to bear.

As much as I love this site, it has become too flaky.

Speed wise as regards posting (the de facto reason for this forum's existence), it has just become too painful.

At one moment, the site works beautifully. At another, it is a chore to update a post.

Sorry to say this, but this problem is non-existent on the other sites I visit on a daily basis.

This has been a major problem on Neowin for a long time now.

The site admins do not acknowledge that there is a problem, hence nothing is done to rectify it.

If this continues. without an explanatoin or acknowledgement, then bye bye.

I have to agree on this one. The main site isn't that slow, it's rather the whole forum. Saving posts takes around 30 seconds.

To say we don't know about the issue at hand is a bit sad. We do, its just don't think anyone currently knows what the cause of it is or how to fix it.

To say we don't know about the issue at hand is a bit sad. We do, its just don't think anyone currently knows what the cause of it is or how to fix it.

Agreed. But is anything being done about it?

Given that you know there's a problem, what steps are being taken to address it?

I mean, saying no one knows the cause of it is a pretty lame excuse, considering the problem has been there for months now.

We can drop Curiosity on Mars with pinpoint precision from a quarter of a billion miles away, even with a seven second time lag preventing us from being truly "live", and a group of dedicated programmers back here on Earth is befuddled by an update lag on their servers?

I know you guys do your best. I had a car back when I was a teen that had some problem that no one could ever figure out. My only option in the end was to get a better car.

I know you guys do your best. I had a car back when I was a teen that had some problem that no one could ever figure out. My only option in the end was to get a better car.

Believe me when I say, everyone here would like to replace IPB lol

Then why don't you?

Finances? Take up a collection. I'd be glad to contribute.

There was talk a while back (I thought) about doing that. What happened?

On another note:

If i reply to several posts, my responses appear as a multi-response post.

That is not what I intended. If I reply to a post, I would like that only that post is quoted in my response.

Again, this worked fine before. What happened?

On another note:

If i reply to several posts, my responses appear as a multi-response post.

That is not what I intended. If I reply to a post, I would like that only that post is quoted in my response.

Again, this worked fine before. What happened?

AFAIK, the forums have always grouped multiple, separate responses into a single post if you reply quickly enough and no body else posts at the same time.

AFAIK, the forums have always grouped multiple, separate responses into a single post if you reply quickly enough and no body else posts at the same time.

Yep, and as for the other issue about speed, it's still being looked into.

There are several other major sites that deal with IPB just fine though so don't be quick to blame them.

• Like 2

Server Software: Apache/2.2.14
Server Hostname: www.neowin.net
Server Port: 80
Document Path: /forum/index.php
Document Length: 146088 bytes
Concurrency Level: 5
Time taken for tests: 27.035 seconds
Complete requests: 20
Failed requests: 15
(Connect: 0, Receive: 0, Length: 15, Exceptions: 0)
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 2937315 bytes
HTML transferred: 2928495 bytes
Requests per second: 0.74 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 6758.760 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 1351.752 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 106.10 [Kbytes/sec] received
Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 99 99 0.4 99 100
Processing: 5380 6602 926.4 6438 8361
Waiting: 1809 3728 1158.9 3973 5441
Total: 5479 6701 926.3 6537 8460
[/CODE]

Might not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but interesting stats nonetheless.

Can I ask why? Would you build your own system, or move to something else?

On another note: If i reply to several posts, my responses appear as a multi-response post. That is not what I intended. If I reply to a post, I would like that only that post is quoted in my response. Again, this worked fine before. What happened?

It's to stop double posting, and its a great setting for a forum to have, there is no reason to have 3 separate posts from the same member one after another, grouping them makes perfect sense unless you're a spammer

I mean, saying no one knows the cause of it is a pretty lame excuse, considering the problem has been there for months now

How exactly is not knowing a lame excuse?

Do you know the cause? Do you know how to fix it? No, so stop giving staff sh*t for no knowing either.

And as for your OP, bye bye then, I'm sure you'll be greatly missed

Everyone wants the site to run perfectly, report the issue and carry on, if Neowins speed issues are causing your life to collapse, and in such a way you need to leave, you have bigger issues you need to address

EDIT - I guess this explains your childish outburst

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1123320-what-do-you-do-on-weekends/page__fromsearch__1

I was going to say, it's got to be a feature in the system somewhere that is causing a slow down and look-ups in the database...

Maybe...but it's not that one. It's still slow.

How much would it cost to create your own forum? You don't need feature parity - I'm sure everyone would prefer a fast forum with page reloads than the currently slow forum with no page reloads when posting, authenticating, editing and so on.

The forums load and refresh quite fast for me; I don't see the problem. ^_^

Same here. Makes you think it's a network issue

• Like 1