Photo

Neowin: A speed bump on the Information Superhighway.

bug

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#16 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:07

Server Software:		Apache/2.2.14
Server Hostname:		www.neowin.net
Server Port:			80
Document Path:		  /forum/index.php
Document Length:		146088 bytes
Concurrency Level:	  5
Time taken for tests:   27.035 seconds
Complete requests:	  20
Failed requests:		15
   (Connect: 0, Receive: 0, Length: 15, Exceptions: 0)
Write errors:		   0
Total transferred:	  2937315 bytes
HTML transferred:	   2928495 bytes
Requests per second:	0.74 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:	   6758.760 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:	   1351.752 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:		  106.10 [Kbytes/sec] received
Connection Times (ms)
			  min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:	   99   99   0.4	 99	 100
Processing:  5380 6602 926.4   6438	8361
Waiting:	 1809 3728 1158.9   3973	5441
Total:	   5479 6701 926.3   6537	8460

Might not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but interesting stats nonetheless.

#17 Redmak

Redmak

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 35
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:02

FYI, I've disabled the reputation system for now

#18 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:29

Believe me when I say, everyone here would like to replace IPB lol

Can I ask why? Would you build your own system, or move to something else?

#19 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:31

Ah.. that would explain why the like notifications I clicked on resulted in posts without any likes :p

#20 ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:35

Its fine for me!

#21 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:44

On another note: If i reply to several posts, my responses appear as a multi-response post. That is not what I intended. If I reply to a post, I would like that only that post is quoted in my response. Again, this worked fine before. What happened?

It's to stop double posting, and its a great setting for a forum to have, there is no reason to have 3 separate posts from the same member one after another, grouping them makes perfect sense unless you're a spammer

I mean, saying no one knows the cause of it is a pretty lame excuse, considering the problem has been there for months now

How exactly is not knowing a lame excuse?

Do you know the cause? Do you know how to fix it? No, so stop giving staff sh*t for no knowing either.

And as for your OP, bye bye then, I'm sure you'll be greatly missed

Everyone wants the site to run perfectly, report the issue and carry on, if Neowins speed issues are causing your life to collapse, and in such a way you need to leave, you have bigger issues you need to address

EDIT - I guess this explains your childish outburst
http://www.neowin.ne...__fromsearch__1

#22 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:11

FYI, I've disabled the reputation system for now

I was going to say, it's got to be a feature in the system somewhere that is causing a slow down and look-ups in the database...

#23 Aethec

Aethec

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:16

I was going to say, it's got to be a feature in the system somewhere that is causing a slow down and look-ups in the database...

Maybe...but it's not that one. It's still slow.

How much would it cost to create your own forum? You don't need feature parity - I'm sure everyone would prefer a fast forum with page reloads than the currently slow forum with no page reloads when posting, authenticating, editing and so on.

#24 ScorpioRGc1

ScorpioRGc1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:24

The forums load and refresh quite fast for me; I don't see the problem. ^_^

#25 Redmak

Redmak

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 35
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:33

The forums load and refresh quite fast for me; I don't see the problem. ^_^

Same here. Makes you think it's a network issue

#26 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:34

Occasionally I get big slowdowns and find the "Slowing down" thread to report them but lately its been fine, (lately as in the last few days)

Main issue I see is quoting someone and then editing that quote, sometimes it doesn't refresh as posted, even though hitting the New Posts button shows the thread as having been updated

#27 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:37

Just to throw some info into this. I've been lurking the Neowin IRC channel for a couple of months now.

The staff (be it Neobond, Redman, Timan or the moderators general) always respond to issues brought to their attention and do so quite rapidly.

I've been witness to discussions about the issue and what they have done to fix it, this was in a public channel, so I assume as much (and likely more) has been discussed in the dev channels.

I spoke to Redmak about it (because I'm a nerd and was curious) and he listed all of the things he'd done to look into it and where he thought the issue was. His checking was methodical and his conclusions sound. He's not oblivious to the issue and it's not being ignored.

Now I run IPB for forum software on my website, and I can tell you it is HORRIBLE to work with if you start getting hit hard. Making it run faster is a ###### of a job. I'd happily dump IPB except that translating forums (the information posted) from IPB to other formats is extremely difficult. IPB tend to make enormous changes to the structure of their software/data with each release, making porting extremely difficult. They also tend to do stupid proprietary bull****. I cringe at the thought of moving and IPB forum of this size to another forum software. I cringe thinking about their update process. My site is an enormous **** to update and rarely goes as intended, and takes forever to execute. I have a ton of extra resources on my machine and the update scripts take forever to execute. It's pathetically bad.

Whilst I agree that the issues just aren't good enough, that the issues are annoying; I wholeheartedly disagree with the assertion that Neowin aren't doing their utmost to fix it.

I just think you should know more about what's going on before you start asserting wildly into the night. I'd also like to see the Neowin staff bite back at some of this stuff, but they're way to controlled (dare I say professional) for that >.>

#28 Reverend Spam

Reverend Spam

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Droid Bionic

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:41

I would be inclined to think it's something that loads with every pageload... Like the mini spy, or the edit function itself... Maybe the facebook, twitter functions... I know that this is PROBABLY a dumb question but... Could it be the server?

#29 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:43

Just to throw some info into this. I've been lurking the Neowin IRC channel for a couple of months now.

The staff (be it Neobond, Redman, Timan or the moderators general) always respond to issues brought to their attention and do so quite rapidly.

I've been witness to discussions about the issue and what they have done to fix it, this was in a public channel, so I assume as much (and likely more) has been discussed in the dev channels.

I spoke to Redmak about it (because I'm a nerd and was curious) and he listed all of the things he'd done to look into it and where he thought the issue was. His checking was methodical and his conclusions sound. He's not oblivious to the issue and it's not being ignored.

Now I run IPB for forum software on my website, and I can tell you it is HORRIBLE to work with if you start getting hit hard. Making it run faster is a ###### of a job. I'd happily dump IPB except that translating forums (the information posted) from IPB to other formats is extremely difficult. IPB tend to make enormous changes to the structure of their software/data with each release, making porting extremely difficult. They also tend to do stupid proprietary bull****. I cringe at the thought of moving and IPB forum of this size to another forum software. I cringe thinking about their update process. My site is an enormous **** to update and rarely goes as intended, and takes forever to execute. I have a ton of extra resources on my machine and the update scripts take forever to execute. It's pathetically bad.

Whilst I agree that the issues just aren't good enough, that the issues are annoying; I wholeheartedly disagree with the assertion that Neowin aren't doing their utmost to fix it.

I just think you should know more about what's going on before you start asserting wildly into the night. I'd also like to see the Neowin staff bite back at some of this stuff, but they're way to controlled (dare I say professional) for that >.>

+1

EDIT -

Something I just thought of, I rarely, if ever use IE, but the times I do visit Neowin using IE it seems to load perfectly

Just throwing this out there, but maybe make a poll seeing if issues are browser specific, I use FF 99% of the time

#30 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:47

Redmak have you guys run it through www.pingdom.com or any other tools to view the load times of the elements?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!