temperature heat

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:08

Hello,

Since I cleared my computer of dust earlier, I've been looking at the CPU temp and it's currently running at 90+C on both cores...one is at 95C.

It keeps going back down after a while. CPU is under high load as I've got a few tabs open in Chrome and I'm installing updates from Windows Update.

Never noticed what it ran at before, but can anyone say if this is too high? The temps are coming from an app called "Speccy."

Cheers

#2 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:18

Yeah, thats too hot. If you're using the stock Intel heatsink it should be around 40c - 55c - idle, and around 65c under load.

Is it the stock Intel heatsink you're using? If so check to make sure the plastic retention clips are all pressed in to secure the heatsink to the cpu.

#3 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:34

Yeah, thats too hot. If you're using the stock Intel heatsink it should be around 40c - 55c - idle, and around 65c under load.

Is it the stock Intel heatsink you're using? If so check to make sure the plastic retention clips are all pressed in to secure the heatsink to the cpu.

Not really sure what I'm looking for, I don't know much about PC internals. I'll do some googling then see if I can figure it out :p

Cheers

#4 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:39

No problem; check this out, it should explain in moire detail: http://www.pcstats.c...eid=2677&page=5

Make sure those 4 clips are pushed in and secure. The heatsink shouldn't wobble if it's secure.

#5 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:54

No problem; check this out, it should explain in moire detail: http://www.pcstats.c...eid=2677&page=5

Make sure those 4 clips are pushed in and secure. The heatsink shouldn't wobble if it's secure.

Thanks I'll have a go :D

#6 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:04

What kind of cleaning? Is it possible you disconnected the CPU fan?

Also, did you check the temps before cleaning the PC? It's possible that program is giving you bad information.

FYI, 90° is near the point where that CPU will shut itself down, so if it's really getting that hot, don't keep using it.

#7 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:10

What kind of cleaning? Is it possible you disconnected the CPU fan?

Also, did you check the temps before cleaning the PC? It's possible that program is giving you bad information.

FYI, 90° is near the point where that CPU will shut itself down, so if it's really getting that hot, don't keep using it.

Sprayed it with compressed air. I disconnected a fan on the side of the case but connected it again when I was done.

How many fans should typically be running? I downloaded "SpeedFan" and it says this:

Sys Fan: 0 RPM
CPU0 Fan: 902 RPM
Aux0 Fan: 0 RPM
CPU1 Fan: 0 RPM
Aux1 Fan: 0 RPM

:s

I stupidly didn't check the temps before I cleaned it.

#8 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:15

What does SpeedFan tell you your temps are?

SpeedFan will report the RPMs of any fans connected to the motherboard fan headers. If they're just wired to the CPU, they won't show up. That said, if it's really 90°C, the CPU fan should be going much faster, somewhere in the 3000 - 4000 RPM range.

#9 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:17

At the very least you need the CPU fan running; seems it's reporting rather low at 902rpm, but even that low it shouldn't spike the CPU temp to 90 C if properly seated.

#10 nyolc8

nyolc8

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:21

I got an E6750, OC'd to 3,00Ghz and temps are 35-65C (it was OC'd to 3,2 before, and temps was same), and I'm using the stock Intel cooler. So 90C is HOT.
Btw, my Intel stock cooler runs on 1300-2200RPM (~1350 rpm on idle).

#11 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:25

What does SpeedFan tell you your temps are?

SpeedFan will report the RPMs of any fans connected to the motherboard fan headers. If they're just wired to the CPU, they won't show up. That said, if it's really 90°C, the CPU fan should be going much faster, somewhere in the 3000 - 4000 RPM range.

Currently says CPU 63C / Core 0 70C / Core 1 69C. PC is under less load now though.

All three of those temps have a flame icon next to them, which I'm guessing is bad :p

Could be that the fan won't spin fast enough maybe?

#12 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:46

Currently says CPU 63C / Core 0 70C / Core 1 69C. PC is under less load now though.

All three of those temps have a flame icon next to them, which I'm guessing is bad :p

Could be that the fan won't spin fast enough maybe?

Is it spinning at all? :)

I would expect the temps to be lower at idle even if just connected to the heatsink, without a fan, assuming your room isn't somewhere in the desert.

#13 I am Not PCyr

I am Not PCyr

Neowinian

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:48

First off, never mind what people are saying and do one thing FIRST !
double check wether your reading the temp as FARENHEIT or CELCIUS !
If its is Farenheit then don't worry about it and carry on about your business / everything is fine !
If it is Celcius your reading ? ..then start worrying !
Your CPU will shut itself off at about 100 degrees Celcius so it is not possible to damage the cpu that way
but if you were to run it close to the limit all the time it would suffer damage i'm sure (shorter life span)

grab something like CoreTemp or RealTemp and see what it sets for your TJ max
ansd see what your getting reported for TCase and your 2 T Junction sensors.

My similar C2D runs some what idle at about 38 c (Tcase) and 38/36 for the two Tjunction's
and that is about 105/100/97 in farenheit.
So to put that into persepctive for you.. i have done TONS of case mods and used many fans etc
And my temps under NO circumstances will read lower that ! approx 36/38 is teh lowest possible temp.

And one last piece of trivia for you too
The internal Core temps (TJ1 and TJ2) are designed on purpose to have a sliding slope on teh accuracy..
the higher the temp the more accurate the temp is. So what the lowest temp is would be the least accurate.
ANd that doesn't matter who or what reads it either.. it is how the chips are manufactured and calibrated at the factory.

edit:
sorry about the poor spelling. i can't type anymore lol
and i'd fix it but my damn browser seems stuck showing the edit window with a black background
on dark grey lettering with font sizes i think 2 or 3 (on my 1080p desktop screen rez)
..gonna need bonoculars if they make screens any bigger lol

#14 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:56

Is it spinning at all? :)

I would expect the temps to be lower at idle even if just connected to the heatsink, without a fan, assuming your room isn't somewhere in the desert.

Yeah the damn thing makes a right racket, that's why I cleaned it out to begin with, because I thought it was the dust making it noisy.

I live in rainy England, no danger of overheating from the weather :p

#15 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:45

Hyper 212 EVO is only 25 bucks.... get it if you want a cheap air cooler.

under stress the CPU or GPU shouldn't get any higher then 70C... even under full load...

mine at semi-idle with lots of browser activity:

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 34 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

on Skyrim mine both never exceed 55C even on max settings... the 3D mark software didn't even push it past 60C

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!