Intel Core 2 E8400 too hot?

Hello,

Since I cleared my computer of dust earlier, I've been looking at the CPU temp and it's currently running at 90+C on both cores...one is at 95C.

It keeps going back down after a while. CPU is under high load as I've got a few tabs open in Chrome and I'm installing updates from Windows Update.

Never noticed what it ran at before, but can anyone say if this is too high? The temps are coming from an app called "Speccy."

Cheers

Yeah, thats too hot. If you're using the stock Intel heatsink it should be around 40c - 55c - idle, and around 65c under load.

Is it the stock Intel heatsink you're using? If so check to make sure the plastic retention clips are all pressed in to secure the heatsink to the cpu.

Yeah, thats too hot. If you're using the stock Intel heatsink it should be around 40c - 55c - idle, and around 65c under load.

Is it the stock Intel heatsink you're using? If so check to make sure the plastic retention clips are all pressed in to secure the heatsink to the cpu.

Not really sure what I'm looking for, I don't know much about PC internals. I'll do some googling then see if I can figure it out :p

Cheers

What kind of cleaning? Is it possible you disconnected the CPU fan?

Also, did you check the temps before cleaning the PC? It's possible that program is giving you bad information.

FYI, 90? is near the point where that CPU will shut itself down, so if it's really getting that hot, don't keep using it.

What kind of cleaning? Is it possible you disconnected the CPU fan?

Also, did you check the temps before cleaning the PC? It's possible that program is giving you bad information.

FYI, 90? is near the point where that CPU will shut itself down, so if it's really getting that hot, don't keep using it.

Sprayed it with compressed air. I disconnected a fan on the side of the case but connected it again when I was done.

How many fans should typically be running? I downloaded "SpeedFan" and it says this:

Sys Fan: 0 RPM

CPU0 Fan: 902 RPM

Aux0 Fan: 0 RPM

CPU1 Fan: 0 RPM

Aux1 Fan: 0 RPM

:s

I stupidly didn't check the temps before I cleaned it.

What does SpeedFan tell you your temps are?

SpeedFan will report the RPMs of any fans connected to the motherboard fan headers. If they're just wired to the CPU, they won't show up. That said, if it's really 90?C, the CPU fan should be going much faster, somewhere in the 3000 - 4000 RPM range.

At the very least you need the CPU fan running; seems it's reporting rather low at 902rpm, but even that low it shouldn't spike the CPU temp to 90 C if properly seated.

I got an E6750, OC'd to 3,00Ghz and temps are 35-65C (it was OC'd to 3,2 before, and temps was same), and I'm using the stock Intel cooler. So 90C is HOT.

Btw, my Intel stock cooler runs on 1300-2200RPM (~1350 rpm on idle).

What does SpeedFan tell you your temps are?

SpeedFan will report the RPMs of any fans connected to the motherboard fan headers. If they're just wired to the CPU, they won't show up. That said, if it's really 90?C, the CPU fan should be going much faster, somewhere in the 3000 - 4000 RPM range.

Currently says CPU 63C / Core 0 70C / Core 1 69C. PC is under less load now though.

All three of those temps have a flame icon next to them, which I'm guessing is bad :p

Could be that the fan won't spin fast enough maybe?

Currently says CPU 63C / Core 0 70C / Core 1 69C. PC is under less load now though.

All three of those temps have a flame icon next to them, which I'm guessing is bad :p

Could be that the fan won't spin fast enough maybe?

Is it spinning at all? :)

I would expect the temps to be lower at idle even if just connected to the heatsink, without a fan, assuming your room isn't somewhere in the desert.

First off, never mind what people are saying and do one thing FIRST !

double check wether your reading the temp as FARENHEIT or CELCIUS !

If its is Farenheit then don't worry about it and carry on about your business / everything is fine !

If it is Celcius your reading ? ..then start worrying !

Your CPU will shut itself off at about 100 degrees Celcius so it is not possible to damage the cpu that way

but if you were to run it close to the limit all the time it would suffer damage i'm sure (shorter life span)

grab something like CoreTemp or RealTemp and see what it sets for your TJ max

ansd see what your getting reported for TCase and your 2 T Junction sensors.

My similar C2D runs some what idle at about 38 c (Tcase) and 38/36 for the two Tjunction's

and that is about 105/100/97 in farenheit.

So to put that into persepctive for you.. i have done TONS of case mods and used many fans etc

And my temps under NO circumstances will read lower that ! approx 36/38 is teh lowest possible temp.

And one last piece of trivia for you too

The internal Core temps (TJ1 and TJ2) are designed on purpose to have a sliding slope on teh accuracy..

the higher the temp the more accurate the temp is. So what the lowest temp is would be the least accurate.

ANd that doesn't matter who or what reads it either.. it is how the chips are manufactured and calibrated at the factory.

edit:

sorry about the poor spelling. i can't type anymore lol

and i'd fix it but my damn browser seems stuck showing the edit window with a black background

on dark grey lettering with font sizes i think 2 or 3 (on my 1080p desktop screen rez)

..gonna need bonoculars if they make screens any bigger lol

Is it spinning at all? :)

I would expect the temps to be lower at idle even if just connected to the heatsink, without a fan, assuming your room isn't somewhere in the desert.

Yeah the damn thing makes a right racket, that's why I cleaned it out to begin with, because I thought it was the dust making it noisy.

I live in rainy England, no danger of overheating from the weather :p

Hyper 212 EVO is only 25 bucks.... get it if you want a cheap air cooler.

under stress the CPU or GPU shouldn't get any higher then 70C... even under full load...

mine at semi-idle with lots of browser activity:

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 34 ?C

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

on Skyrim mine both never exceed 55C even on max settings... the 3D mark software didn't even push it past 60C

First off, never mind what people are saying and do one thing FIRST !

double check wether your reading the temp as FARENHEIT or CELCIUS !

I'd be impressed if he's managed to cool an Intel Core Duo to below room temperature on a shoddy fan. :laugh:

If you're at 60-odd at idle, or near it, I'd guess your heatsink is either unseated or the thermal paste has worn off.

you'd be surprised what you can do on air with a well designed air flow system..

most people i see on the net BUY crap and brag period.

few actually put any thought into airflow and fewer yet do any case modding.

I know myself i have used the same deluxe case i got in '04 ish

and i have refined teh airflow in continually and i find it hard to believe

many other people would have put their system under such a large variety of tests

and the volume of them too. I have used almost evey testing method and material i want

to test and mod my airflow / efficiency.

I have got it to where if you put anything near the openeing it would suck it in with extreme force. lol

I have found the most usefull thing in case modding to be a length of thread from my sewing kit (for obvious reasons ?)

This rambble is in response to people talking about air cooling a cpu.. let me put it this way

i've never seen any bragging hot shots do better with their water pumps than i can do case modding on air.

Kids + money + bragging don't make you any good at anything.

Person xyz buys random crap from egg and adds them to his/her Rig specs and some how that equals

uber leet "dah bomb" case. It gets old watching kids brag by model number about what case they have

when they *should be able to take ANY case on earth and make it awesome. aka. a REAL computer nerd

will be acase modder and not a case BUYER lol

8 years ago the novelty of all my case LED's wore off and teh black ligh made for pc cases i bought at the same time

hasn't been on since either.. i've even gone to the trouble of disabling my power button so i don't have to see

the blue led power button on at night or my front case led lights strips.. all that crap is disabled.

But if i wanted more i would pull out my collection of mini controller and led multi colored lights collection and my soldering iron

and maybe even the Dremel ;) ..but all that is crap if your machine is on fire lol

For a lot a years now the only thing of value to me is the temperatures of my hardware components

and what i can do to lower them even more.. you'd be surprised what persistence and experimentation can come up with.

even on air !

This guy never did respond back what the problem was afterwards so maybe he was reading Farenheit ? then there was no problem..

Temperatures on my PC I would say is a passion but that would be a lie.. I would have to call it an obsession lol

ANd I tell ya people bashing stock C2D coolers are fools. If i can bottom out the sensor reading on three different stock style coolers

on air then they arn't that bad..In other words i mean bottom out as in i can not get the sensor to read lower it will NOT go lower !

and THAT is for damn sure cold *enough and definatly not worth of bashing so called crappy air cooled cpu fans !

Like most things in life its what you make of it.

Also I'd be more worried about Noobs putting too much paste on a cpu then "it wearing off"

The manufacturers instructions are usually too much. and i use probably even less cause i lapped my C2D ;

Rethink the concept as to why it is supose to be there in teh first place.. its not there to be a 2 mm padding of goop

block the two parts.. its supose to be there to complement the parts and aid them in joining together as one piece.

to work unified. (fill in the cracks etc on a sub micro level)

I have done many tests in the past proving less is better than more.. trying experimenting and logging temps and you'll see..

too much of it is a BAD thing and I think most people add to much. I've pulled off probably close to a thousand cpu's off mobo's

in teh last decade and people plaster that crap on like insane lunatics.

While that rant was all well and good, most people don't put thermal paste on their stock heatsinks (there's no indication here that he built this, and he mentioned not even knowing where the heatsink was...), so there's a better chance it wore off.

Also, no Core 2 would sensor would read accurately (if at all) if the CPU was running at room temperature (~20? C).

you'd be surprised what you can do on air with a well designed air flow system..

most people i see on the net BUY crap and brag period.

few actually put any thought into airflow and fewer yet do any case modding.

I know myself i have used the same deluxe case i got in '04 ish

and i have refined teh airflow in continually and i find it hard to believe

many other people would have put their system under such a large variety of tests

and the volume of them too. I have used almost evey testing method and material i want

to test and mod my airflow / efficiency.

I have got it to where if you put anything near the openeing it would suck it in with extreme force. lol

I have found the most usefull thing in case modding to be a length of thread from my sewing kit (for obvious reasons ?)

This rambble is in response to people talking about air cooling a cpu.. let me put it this way

i've never seen any bragging hot shots do better with their water pumps than i can do case modding on air.

Kids + money + bragging don't make you any good at anything.

Person xyz buys random crap from egg and adds them to his/her Rig specs and some how that equals

uber leet "dah bomb" case. It gets old watching kids brag by model number about what case they have

when they *should be able to take ANY case on earth and make it awesome. aka. a REAL computer nerd

will be acase modder and not a case BUYER lol

8 years ago the novelty of all my case LED's wore off and teh black ligh made for pc cases i bought at the same time

hasn't been on since either.. i've even gone to the trouble of disabling my power button so i don't have to see

the blue led power button on at night or my front case led lights strips.. all that crap is disabled.

But if i wanted more i would pull out my collection of mini controller and led multi colored lights collection and my soldering iron

and maybe even the Dremel ;) ..but all that is crap if your machine is on fire lol

For a lot a years now the only thing of value to me is the temperatures of my hardware components

and what i can do to lower them even more.. you'd be surprised what persistence and experimentation can come up with.

even on air !

This guy never did respond back what the problem was afterwards so maybe he was reading Farenheit ? then there was no problem..

Temperatures on my PC I would say is a passion but that would be a lie.. I would have to call it an obsession lol

ANd I tell ya people bashing stock C2D coolers are fools. If i can bottom out the sensor reading on three different stock style coolers

on air then they arn't that bad..In other words i mean bottom out as in i can not get the sensor to read lower it will NOT go lower !

and THAT is for damn sure cold *enough and definatly not worth of bashing so called crappy air cooled cpu fans !

Like most things in life its what you make of it.

Also I'd be more worried about Noobs putting too much paste on a cpu then "it wearing off"

The manufacturers instructions are usually too much. and i use probably even less cause i lapped my C2D ;

Rethink the concept as to why it is supose to be there in teh first place.. its not there to be a 2 mm padding of goop

block the two parts.. its supose to be there to complement the parts and aid them in joining together as one piece.

to work unified. (fill in the cracks etc on a sub micro level)

I have done many tests in the past proving less is better than more.. trying experimenting and logging temps and you'll see..

too much of it is a BAD thing and I think most people add to much. I've pulled off probably close to a thousand cpu's off mobo's

in teh last decade and people plaster that crap on like insane lunatics.

Sorry I must've missed your earlier post, but I indicated the temperatures were Celsius in the original post :p They're definitely Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

While that rant was all well and good, most people don't put thermal paste on their stock heatsinks (there's no indication here that he built this, and he mentioned not even knowing where the heatsink was...), so there's a better chance it wore off.

Also, no Core 2 would sensor would read accurately (if at all) if the CPU was running at room temperature (~20? C).

Yeah I bought the PC off eBay about five years ago. I know what most PC parts do and often thought about building my own, but I haven't really messed about with hardware much yet.

If I get an anti-static wristband, should I buy a mat as well? Some people say you just need to attach a wristband to a non-painted part of the PC case, but others say you need to get a mat as well!

Thanks

Yeah I bought the PC off eBay about five years ago. I know what most PC parts do and often thought about building my own, but I haven't really messed about with hardware much yet.

If I get an anti-static wristband, should I buy a mat as well? Some people say you just need to attach a wristband to a non-painted part of the PC case, but others say you need to get a mat as well!

Thanks

I've never used one myself, and I've built a few PCs. Heck, the last one I built, I turned away for a second and my cat jumped in the case and sat down on the motherboard. :laugh:

That said, static electricity = bad, but a wristband should be good enough.

I've never used one myself, and I've built a few PCs. Heck, the last one I built, I turned away for a second and my cat jumped in the case and sat down on the motherboard. :laugh:

That said, static electricity = bad, but a wristband should be good enough.

I got impatient and just touched a tap/radiator before touching anything :p

Removed the heatsink, cleaned all the dust off it (didn't think to check there when I cleaned it before) and put it back. Made no difference to the temps but the PC seems quieter.

You think I might need a new heatsink?

Thanks for all the help :)

Was there any thermal paste on the heatsink?

Ideally if you pull it off you clean the heatsink and CPU with rubbing alcohol, reapply a thin layer of thermal paste, then reinstall. If you're going to do all that, I'd suggest getting a better one while you're there, like the Cooler Master 212 or a similar large fin push/pull design. They can be found relatively cheap (~$25, plus a few dollars for paste), plus you can reuse them since they fit almost every CPU design out there.

Was there any thermal paste on the heatsink?

Ideally if you pull it off you clean the heatsink and CPU with rubbing alcohol, reapply a thin layer of thermal paste, then reinstall. If you're going to do all that, I'd suggest getting a better one while you're there, like the Cooler Master 212 or a similar large fin push/pull design. They can be found relatively cheap (~$25, plus a few dollars for paste), plus you can reuse them since they fit almost every CPU design out there.

There was some on it but it looked spotty, like it was missing from parts.

I'm not too bothered about this PC, it's quite old now and I have an iPhone and iPad that I can use if it dies, mainly wanted to stop the noise and it seems to have done so for now!

I'll probably replace the whole thing soon :p

Thanks

Hyper 212 EVO is only 25 bucks.... get it if you want a cheap air cooler.

under stress the CPU or GPU shouldn't get any higher then 70C... even under full load...

mine at semi-idle with lots of browser activity:

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 34 ?C

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

on Skyrim mine both never exceed 55C even on max settings... the 3D mark software didn't even push it past 60C

Got the 212 too, it's a big heatsink but it does the job.