• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:50

It could be Speccy (which I use btw) is reading from the wrong ITE chip, try using a program called OpenHardwareMonitor http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:38

First off, never mind what people are saying and do one thing FIRST !
double check wether your reading the temp as FARENHEIT or CELCIUS !

I'd be impressed if he's managed to cool an Intel Core Duo to below room temperature on a shoddy fan. :laugh:

If you're at 60-odd at idle, or near it, I'd guess your heatsink is either unseated or the thermal paste has worn off.

#18 I am Not PCyr

I am Not PCyr

Neowinian

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:36

you'd be surprised what you can do on air with a well designed air flow system..
most people i see on the net BUY crap and brag period.
few actually put any thought into airflow and fewer yet do any case modding.
I know myself i have used the same deluxe case i got in '04 ish
and i have refined teh airflow in continually and i find it hard to believe
many other people would have put their system under such a large variety of tests
and the volume of them too. I have used almost evey testing method and material i want
to test and mod my airflow / efficiency.
I have got it to where if you put anything near the openeing it would suck it in with extreme force. lol
I have found the most usefull thing in case modding to be a length of thread from my sewing kit (for obvious reasons ?)
This rambble is in response to people talking about air cooling a cpu.. let me put it this way
i've never seen any bragging hot shots do better with their water pumps than i can do case modding on air.
Kids + money + bragging don't make you any good at anything.
Person xyz buys random crap from egg and adds them to his/her Rig specs and some how that equals
uber leet "dah bomb" case. It gets old watching kids brag by model number about what case they have
when they *should be able to take ANY case on earth and make it awesome. aka. a REAL computer nerd
will be acase modder and not a case BUYER lol
8 years ago the novelty of all my case LED's wore off and teh black ligh made for pc cases i bought at the same time
hasn't been on since either.. i've even gone to the trouble of disabling my power button so i don't have to see
the blue led power button on at night or my front case led lights strips.. all that crap is disabled.
But if i wanted more i would pull out my collection of mini controller and led multi colored lights collection and my soldering iron
and maybe even the Dremel ;) ..but all that is crap if your machine is on fire lol
For a lot a years now the only thing of value to me is the temperatures of my hardware components
and what i can do to lower them even more.. you'd be surprised what persistence and experimentation can come up with.
even on air !

This guy never did respond back what the problem was afterwards so maybe he was reading Farenheit ? then there was no problem..

Temperatures on my PC I would say is a passion but that would be a lie.. I would have to call it an obsession lol
ANd I tell ya people bashing stock C2D coolers are fools. If i can bottom out the sensor reading on three different stock style coolers
on air then they arn't that bad..In other words i mean bottom out as in i can not get the sensor to read lower it will NOT go lower !
and THAT is for damn sure cold *enough and definatly not worth of bashing so called crappy air cooled cpu fans !
Like most things in life its what you make of it.

Also I'd be more worried about Noobs putting too much paste on a cpu then "it wearing off"
The manufacturers instructions are usually too much. and i use probably even less cause i lapped my C2D ;
Rethink the concept as to why it is supose to be there in teh first place.. its not there to be a 2 mm padding of goop
block the two parts.. its supose to be there to complement the parts and aid them in joining together as one piece.
to work unified. (fill in the cracks etc on a sub micro level)
I have done many tests in the past proving less is better than more.. trying experimenting and logging temps and you'll see..
too much of it is a BAD thing and I think most people add to much. I've pulled off probably close to a thousand cpu's off mobo's
in teh last decade and people plaster that crap on like insane lunatics.

#19 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:45

While that rant was all well and good, most people don't put thermal paste on their stock heatsinks (there's no indication here that he built this, and he mentioned not even knowing where the heatsink was...), so there's a better chance it wore off.

Also, no Core 2 would sensor would read accurately (if at all) if the CPU was running at room temperature (~20° C).

#20 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 19:17

you'd be surprised what you can do on air with a well designed air flow system..
most people i see on the net BUY crap and brag period.
few actually put any thought into airflow and fewer yet do any case modding.
I know myself i have used the same deluxe case i got in '04 ish
and i have refined teh airflow in continually and i find it hard to believe
many other people would have put their system under such a large variety of tests
and the volume of them too. I have used almost evey testing method and material i want
to test and mod my airflow / efficiency.
I have got it to where if you put anything near the openeing it would suck it in with extreme force. lol
I have found the most usefull thing in case modding to be a length of thread from my sewing kit (for obvious reasons ?)
This rambble is in response to people talking about air cooling a cpu.. let me put it this way
i've never seen any bragging hot shots do better with their water pumps than i can do case modding on air.
Kids + money + bragging don't make you any good at anything.
Person xyz buys random crap from egg and adds them to his/her Rig specs and some how that equals
uber leet "dah bomb" case. It gets old watching kids brag by model number about what case they have
when they *should be able to take ANY case on earth and make it awesome. aka. a REAL computer nerd
will be acase modder and not a case BUYER lol
8 years ago the novelty of all my case LED's wore off and teh black ligh made for pc cases i bought at the same time
hasn't been on since either.. i've even gone to the trouble of disabling my power button so i don't have to see
the blue led power button on at night or my front case led lights strips.. all that crap is disabled.
But if i wanted more i would pull out my collection of mini controller and led multi colored lights collection and my soldering iron
and maybe even the Dremel ;) ..but all that is crap if your machine is on fire lol
For a lot a years now the only thing of value to me is the temperatures of my hardware components
and what i can do to lower them even more.. you'd be surprised what persistence and experimentation can come up with.
even on air !

This guy never did respond back what the problem was afterwards so maybe he was reading Farenheit ? then there was no problem..

Temperatures on my PC I would say is a passion but that would be a lie.. I would have to call it an obsession lol
ANd I tell ya people bashing stock C2D coolers are fools. If i can bottom out the sensor reading on three different stock style coolers
on air then they arn't that bad..In other words i mean bottom out as in i can not get the sensor to read lower it will NOT go lower !
and THAT is for damn sure cold *enough and definatly not worth of bashing so called crappy air cooled cpu fans !
Like most things in life its what you make of it.

Also I'd be more worried about Noobs putting too much paste on a cpu then "it wearing off"
The manufacturers instructions are usually too much. and i use probably even less cause i lapped my C2D ;
Rethink the concept as to why it is supose to be there in teh first place.. its not there to be a 2 mm padding of goop
block the two parts.. its supose to be there to complement the parts and aid them in joining together as one piece.
to work unified. (fill in the cracks etc on a sub micro level)
I have done many tests in the past proving less is better than more.. trying experimenting and logging temps and you'll see..
too much of it is a BAD thing and I think most people add to much. I've pulled off probably close to a thousand cpu's off mobo's
in teh last decade and people plaster that crap on like insane lunatics.

Sorry I must've missed your earlier post, but I indicated the temperatures were Celsius in the original post :p They're definitely Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

While that rant was all well and good, most people don't put thermal paste on their stock heatsinks (there's no indication here that he built this, and he mentioned not even knowing where the heatsink was...), so there's a better chance it wore off.

Also, no Core 2 would sensor would read accurately (if at all) if the CPU was running at room temperature (~20° C).

Yeah I bought the PC off eBay about five years ago. I know what most PC parts do and often thought about building my own, but I haven't really messed about with hardware much yet.

If I get an anti-static wristband, should I buy a mat as well? Some people say you just need to attach a wristband to a non-painted part of the PC case, but others say you need to get a mat as well!

Thanks

#21 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 19:49

Yeah I bought the PC off eBay about five years ago. I know what most PC parts do and often thought about building my own, but I haven't really messed about with hardware much yet.

If I get an anti-static wristband, should I buy a mat as well? Some people say you just need to attach a wristband to a non-painted part of the PC case, but others say you need to get a mat as well!

Thanks

I've never used one myself, and I've built a few PCs. Heck, the last one I built, I turned away for a second and my cat jumped in the case and sat down on the motherboard. :laugh:

That said, static electricity = bad, but a wristband should be good enough.

#22 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:24

I've never used one myself, and I've built a few PCs. Heck, the last one I built, I turned away for a second and my cat jumped in the case and sat down on the motherboard. :laugh:

That said, static electricity = bad, but a wristband should be good enough.

I got impatient and just touched a tap/radiator before touching anything :p

Removed the heatsink, cleaned all the dust off it (didn't think to check there when I cleaned it before) and put it back. Made no difference to the temps but the PC seems quieter.

You think I might need a new heatsink?

Thanks for all the help :)

#23 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:37

Was there any thermal paste on the heatsink?

Ideally if you pull it off you clean the heatsink and CPU with rubbing alcohol, reapply a thin layer of thermal paste, then reinstall. If you're going to do all that, I'd suggest getting a better one while you're there, like the Cooler Master 212 or a similar large fin push/pull design. They can be found relatively cheap (~$25, plus a few dollars for paste), plus you can reuse them since they fit almost every CPU design out there.

#24 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:42

Was there any thermal paste on the heatsink?

Ideally if you pull it off you clean the heatsink and CPU with rubbing alcohol, reapply a thin layer of thermal paste, then reinstall. If you're going to do all that, I'd suggest getting a better one while you're there, like the Cooler Master 212 or a similar large fin push/pull design. They can be found relatively cheap (~$25, plus a few dollars for paste), plus you can reuse them since they fit almost every CPU design out there.

There was some on it but it looked spotty, like it was missing from parts.

I'm not too bothered about this PC, it's quite old now and I have an iPhone and iPad that I can use if it dies, mainly wanted to stop the noise and it seems to have done so for now!

I'll probably replace the whole thing soon :p

Thanks

#25 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:44

Hyper 212 EVO is only 25 bucks.... get it if you want a cheap air cooler.

under stress the CPU or GPU shouldn't get any higher then 70C... even under full load...

mine at semi-idle with lots of browser activity:

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 34 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

on Skyrim mine both never exceed 55C even on max settings... the 3D mark software didn't even push it past 60C

Got the 212 too, it's a big heatsink but it does the job.

#26 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:46

with stock fan cooling, my e8400 is always between 45-50... up to 60 if playing games. if your fan is working then you will probably have to re mount your processor with new thermal paste.

#27 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:59

Got the 212 too, it's a big heatsink but it does the job.

yep ;) and damn good deal for only 25 bucks!